English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 15 March 2017, 21:58   #41
BobRedthorp
Huge member

Backed!
Old 16 March 2017, 07:16   #42
fordav1

Petro's book was originally not in English. In an interview he said if he sold all the copies he would make an English version. Has that been done?
Old 05 February 2018, 21:30   #43
nogginthenog
Amigan

Looking for an up[date and found this (3 days ago):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...story/comments
Quote:
Hello everybody, have received a few requests for an update on the progress of the book.

I am currently awaiting a few chapters promised by significant people from within Commodore in the past. These include Beth Richard Lead Engineer on CD 1200 - Ron Nicholson Engineer, - Wim Meuldeurs GM Commodore Benelux and Jeff Porter Designer of Amiga 500
Sadly I am now becoming more and more doubtful that the chapter promised by RJ Mical for many months - will actually ever be forthcoming.

The latest best estimate for the release of what I am certain will now be an even better read, is likely to be around April.
Thank you so much for your patience.

David J Pleasance
Old 19 October 2018, 23:17   #44
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

I'm gobsmacked that no-one on EAB has commented on whether they received their copy of the book and what they thought of it. Have I missed something? Is it worth buying?! Does it differ from Petro's take in his book about the demise of Commodore and the ensuing aftermath??!!

Answers on a postcard please!
Old 19 October 2018, 23:18   #45
Daedalus

Well, I've received it... But haven't had any time to read any of it Might have to wait until Christmas at this rate!
Old 19 October 2018, 23:27   #46
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Thanks for the ultra-quick reply Rob! Good to know that you've received your copy at least. Has it been long since it landed in the mail there? Looks like it's only been available to Kickstarter backers for a few weeks.

I hear ya about probably not getting to it until Christmas! As it happens, I'm in the process of ordering some reading material for my Christmas/New Year break. Sadly, it's the only time of the year really where I have the time and head space to get stuck into reading some meaty books!
Old 19 October 2018, 23:36   #47
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

I finished it last night, really nice collection of inside tales from David and the many other people who contributed. I did enjoy it
Old 20 October 2018, 00:28   #48
Daedalus

I think it was just over a week ago that it arrived here (was a present from my wife so I'm not entirely sure when it arrived). Seems they're making their way slowly but surely to everyone.
Old 20 October 2018, 00:55   #49
kolla
Banned

I've not received anything yet. Next time there's a similar kickstarter I'll just let AmigaKit fund the whole thing and buy from them, apparently that's quicker.
Old 20 October 2018, 01:58   #50
-Acid-

I got mine a few weeks back, i've finished the part David wrote and i'm on to the chapters by other contributors. It's a good read so far but to be honest i've heard a lot of the stories before in interviews. There is of couse some new ones and then there's the contributions from Dave Haynie and RJ Mical for example. I'm glad I helped fund this book.
Old 20 October 2018, 02:27   #51
NorthWay

Not seen anything of it in these parts of Norway either. No mail on Saturdays any longer so best case next week...
Old 20 October 2018, 10:49   #52
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Well, I've received it... But haven't had any time to read any of it Might have to wait until Christmas at this rate!
Same here. I have had it a few weeks now.
Old 20 October 2018, 12:57   #53
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

I received my signed copy on September 29th and I'm around half way through so far. It is a really good read and he has certainly led an incredible jet-set life, flying around the world, staying at posh hotels etc. I wish my life was half as exciting as the one he has clearly led! He definitely holds no punches when it comes to Petro Tyshchenko! Sounds to me like Petro wasn't quite the Amiga saviour everyone thought he was back in the 90's. I certainly won't be buying his book if it gets released in English.
Old 20 October 2018, 21:41   #54
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Thanks for all your opinions gents - much appreciated! I always enjoyed David Pleasance's interviews and guest columns in the mags back in the day too (and the contributions from Dave Haynie and RJ Mical are a great bonus!), so I think I'll be going ahead with my order for this book now.

Pity, though, that people who ordered early from AmigaKit got their copy before some Kickstarter backers did! Same thing happened with Kickstarter backers of Bruce Bagnall's Amiga book, didn't it?!
Old 25 October 2018, 02:27   #55
Deaths_Head

Any news on the audio book edition narrated by Dan Wood?
Old 25 October 2018, 09:27   #56
str0m

He will be at the big Play Expo retro event at Blackpool (UK) on Saturday doing a talk. Wish I lived closer as I would have gone for the gaming

https://www.playexpoblackpool.com/ne...-and-schedules
Old 27 October 2018, 14:03   #57
eteP

Eagerly waiting for the book... missed the Kickstarter but bought it somewhat later through downtimepublishing.com.
Old 27 October 2018, 14:09   #58
amigakit.com

Commodore The Inside Story hard back book is now in stock at Amiga Kit Amiga Store

Direct Product Link:
www.amigastore.com/product_info.php?products_id=12642

The Untold Tale Of A Computer Giant

There have been rumours about how Commodore - once a billion-dollar company at the cutting edge of computing technology - could go bankrupt.

In this book David Pleasance, former MD of Commodore UK gathers his personal stories and experiences from over twelve years at the company, along with viewpoints from other senior management and engineering employees, suppliers and fans of this former giant of home computing, to expose the naked truth.

This is the book that bares it all...

Old 29 October 2018, 11:18   #59
Ragnarok

is there a digital version being sold anywhere? I'd like to buy a copy for my e-book...
Old 29 October 2018, 11:51   #60
fatbob_gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
is there a digital version being sold anywhere? I'd like to buy a copy for my e-book...

I saw David Pleasance at the Blackpool Play Expo and he said that digital and audio versions of the book will be available in the near future.