English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 05 November 2015, 21:42   #1
Monkfish

Floppy disk Gotek + A500 ACTUAL floppy drive noise

Ahoy,

Received my Gotek yesterday, I'm trying to pair it up with my stock A500 drive on the same channel so that the Gotek provides the data whilst the stock drive makes the right noises, no joy so far

Basically like this guy,

[ Show youtube player ]

Anyone had success doing this? I can "kind of" get it to work, it makes the right noises and looks to be trying but won't boot anything!

Old 06 November 2015, 11:50   #2
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

how many pins did you connect? Only connect sel/ds0, mtr, dir and step to the real floppy drive.
Old 06 November 2015, 14:49   #3
Monkfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
how many pins did you connect? Only connect sel/ds0, mtr, dir and step to the real floppy drive.
Aha! Too many then I'll mod the cable to suit your advice, many thanks sir

Old 06 November 2015, 15:27   #4
Akira

I don't see what you mean in the video. Can you explain better what you are trying to achieve?
Old 06 November 2015, 15:51   #5
Monkfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I don't see what you mean in the video. Can you explain better what you are trying to achieve?
Sure, the gotek drive provides all the data whilst the floppy drive does nothing but provide all the right noises

I know you can use a buzzer mod, but it sounds cack IMO!

Old 13 March 2016, 13:54   #6
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
I did this mod yesterday. The floppy drive motor is spinning and it reads a little bit when my Gotek loads games but not fully. It just seems to load a couple of times. Motor continues to spin and stop when it should stop though. I tested with X-copy checkdisk. Only the motor was running but only the first track reading sound.

What am I doing wrong? I have all the groundings connected and sel/ds0, mtr, dir and step.

Last edited by turrican9; 13 March 2016 at 14:59.
Old 13 March 2016, 16:02   #7
turrican9

I need to know the exact wires that needs to connect to the real floppy drive as I am very close to having it working properly. Here is a picture of the floppy connector

Old 13 March 2016, 17:19   #8
turrican9

It seems that having _TRK0 connected is the only way to make the floppy drive load tracks at the same time the Gotek does. However, the Gotek refuses to boot any ADFs when this wire is connected to the real drive. It tries and then just go back to insert floppy screen. This is driving me insane. What am i doing wrong???
Old 16 June 2016, 18:56   #9
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Can someone show a picture of the there floppy connected to the Gotek please,so I can see the wires..?

Is it possible to connect a floppy drive to the Gotek and to the Amiga and be able to use the floppy drive if you want too?