English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 11 May 2011, 17:54   #1
emuola
Registered Whdload user

v26 CF problem: copying files causes a crash

Ok, now I have a more serious problem with CF than before: Copying a large amount of data (> 100 Megs) from CF to internal CF-hd ends up with a total freeze/crash (and corrupted target partition with ffs...)

The same files/hw work fine when booting with a modified (added cf0 and fat95) WB3.1 -floppy. Tried several times, ClassicWB v26 always crashes, WB31-floppy doesn't.

Any suggestions? Is there a syslog anywhere
Old 11 May 2011, 18:11   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi!

Can we have some more info on your system i.e is it an A1200? Do you have any memory expansion and is it an 8mb by any chance?

Also what Max_Transfer did you set when your prepared your CF card in HDToolBox?

All the best,

Steve.
Old 11 May 2011, 18:16   #3
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Sorry, I was a bit too anxious posting... Specs:

A1200
1230IV 64MB@50Mhz
4 GB CF-IDE
CF/SD-pcmcia adapter

MaxTransfer was set correctly (I asked here 2 years ago, when I first set this system up. Now I just updated the latest version by formatting the Boot-partition and transferring a new set of ClassicWB files from CF. I had no trouble with the CF before. And I did not have trouble transferring the ClassicWB-files (because I used the floppy for that).

*edit* If necessary (can't check right now), can I change the maxtransfer-value without losing the data on the partition?

Last edited by emuola; 11 May 2011 at 18:26.
Old 11 May 2011, 18:46   #4
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuola View Post
Sorry, I was a bit too anxious posting... Specs:
No need to apologise

Quote:
A1200
1230IV 64MB@50Mhz
4 GB CF-IDE
CF/SD-pcmcia adapter
Cool so this rules out PCMCIA Zorro II issues (i.e using 8mb Memory Expansion as this causes conflicts with PCMCIA) As I say in your case ruled out

Quote:
MaxTransfer was set correctly (I asked here 2 years ago, when I first set this system up. Now I just updated the latest version by formatting the Boot-partition and transferring a new set of ClassicWB files from CF. I had no trouble with the CF before. And I did not have trouble transferring the ClassicWB-files (because I used the floppy for that).

*edit* If necessary (can't check right now), can I change the maxtransfer-value without losing the data on the partition?
Yes its easy to check this, go to HDToolBox (in Sys>Tools)

Check 'Advanced Options' and click 'Change' you can see the value in this screen, should be the same as mine attached.

You can safely change this setting (must remember to press enter or it wont be saved) without any harm to the drive.

If you change any partition sizes, ect and save changes then you will loose your data.

Hope that helps.

Steve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	28653   Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	28654  
Old 11 May 2011, 19:45   #5
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Whadda you know...

I could swear that the value was exactly that.... But instead, it was 0xfe00 I changed that for all the partitions. Thank you for pointing my stubborn head into the right direction Let's see what happens now
Old 11 May 2011, 20:20   #6
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Whadda you know...

I could swear that the value was exactly that.... But instead, it was 0xfe00 I changed that for all the partitions. Thank you for pointing my stubborn head into the right direction Let's see what happens now
Hi!

Lets hope that does the trick, fingers crossed!

Bear in mind though you may have corrupt files and might need to reinstall.

All the best,

Steve.
Old 11 May 2011, 20:28   #7
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Ok, thanks for the info I decided to reinstall everything including the boot partition I want to be sure I hope this is worth the effort