English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 23 September 2011, 00:35   #41
utri007
mä vaan

NG Amigas can beat other systems for speed, but it is 100% fact that it could beat them price.

There is plenty of PPC mobos/Computers less than 100€

Amiga is hoppy computer, I wouldn't mind if it is something like 400mhz, at least that would be better than my current 060 setup
Old 23 September 2011, 10:16   #42
Joe Maroni

Send a message via MSN to Joe Maroni
i´ve got this case for my PC connected to TV...wasn´t expensive...just 30 EURO

it´s from LC-Power...

http://www.lc-power.de/index.php?id=115&L=1
Old 23 September 2011, 10:31   #43
Flink

Although I think this is good news because of the "brand unification" (I've blogged about this Amiga branding issue in the past ), and although the boards themselves are really good and appeal to a certain different target (with I2C and GPIO), I still think the price is prohibitive for most Amigans of old (or any other market, for that matter). I know they are probably the only ones designing and manufactoring a complete computer/motherboard in Europe (and this must be lauded and supported), and I will inevitably end up buying an AmigaOne 500, but with the panoply of cheap motherboards arriving of late it's kind of complicated to justify the purchase.

Just take a look at the kinds of interesting boards that have been released lately (or will be soon). Just as an example, take the ARM-based Genesi Smarttop (150 Euro) or even the RaspberryPi (35 USD). They are all using Linux, but hardware like this running AmigaOS4 would be amazing, and at these prices, I doubt any of you would resist. I wouldn't be the most powerfull machine on Earth, far from it, but the Amiga rarely was about raw power; efficiency, elegance, intuitivity, was always our creed.

Heck, with propper support, the AmigaOS could become a serious contender on the embedded/integrators/industrial market, wich seems to be part of the target of ACube anyway (I2C and GPIO integrated). Or even on the electronics/software hobby market, where the Arduino has implanted itself so well. Another cool market we could target is the education market, as the RasPi is doing, putting the Amiga in the hands of kids (again), this time in the schools. Having the programmable microcontroller onboard (Lattice or XMOS) would be an enormous plus in all of these markets.

I know I've said all this before... oh well... it seems so obvious to me... a lost opportunity, really. Maybe when AROS is running on the ARM architecture, this goal could be persued with it...

Am I the only one thinking this?

Last edited by Flink; 23 September 2011 at 10:46. Reason: Link added
Old 23 September 2011, 17:07   #44
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
This is exactly what I personally hope for, although we need both a 680x0-running CPU and an OCS/AGA/compatible chipset in 'FPGA' to really know it has a future. Currently all expansions sit on existing chips, and 680x0 CPUs are not available in any quantity off the shelf.

I do like the Minimig, although at the point I bought it, it could only run (some) ADFs, no Fastmem/harddisks, no FFS etc. It must in the end be a standalone development platform to replace the Amiga proper. (I must say I regret selling it now that it has become better. I definitely would consider buying it again, especially if it used a firmware upgradable 680x0 core.)

Didn't mean to tweak the original post in another direction, just wanted to chime in. There's no reason to not wish that AmigaOne reaches maximum audience, even if I personally think it's the original platform we should gather round and nurture and develop.
If someone were to do it I'd be 'excited' again like I was back in the real Amiga days. I'd spend upwards of £1K on a 500 board replacement (i know developing/manufacturing this kind of stuff for a niche market is small and expensive - the AEON stuff is even smaller market)
Old 23 September 2011, 17:53   #45
ascp
Pastafarian

Im thinking about getting one. They are a bit expensive if you take the specs in consideration though. But still, seems cool.
Old 23 September 2011, 19:16   #46
RMK

What do you plan to do with it? There is a serious lack of decent software in my opinion.
Old 23 September 2011, 23:36   #47
s2325
Zone Friend

You can buy it and sell it for higher price after some time. If still someone will remember about this machine.
Old 24 September 2011, 06:25   #48
Mequa

If it could natively run AmigaOS4.x, MorphOS, AROS/PPC and Linux/PPC, then it might be worthy of the "Amiga" name.

Not at that price range though. This is 2011.

Personally, I'd rather see PearPC and/or QEMU updated to support AmigaOS4.x, MorphOS and AROS/PPC.

Last edited by Mequa; 24 September 2011 at 06:33.
Old 18 July 2012, 15:43   #49
s2325
Zone Friend

plipbox is an Arduino-based device that allows to connect low-end classic Amigas via Ethernet to your local network

Old 18 July 2012, 16:08   #50
duga

That's really interesting as long as Individual Computers doesn't release a Zorro II/III Ethernet Card.