English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 26 August 2018, 18:41   #1
justanotherdj

Mac emulation

Hi what’s the best and easiest way for me to emulate Amiga on Mac.

I’ve looked into FS UAE but it looks quite complicated for me as I’m pretty useless with this stuff.

I do have an Amiga 600 but a few of my old games don’t work anymore and I’d really like to bring back some old memories and play the games I loves as a kid!

Is there anyway you can just download ROMs and play?

Old 26 August 2018, 19:23   #2
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

FS-UAE is actually the less complicated way to emulate an Amiga on a Mac.

You can theoretically emulate an Amiga using MAME but from what I recall they were far from being able to boot an Amiga correctly and anyway MAME is much more of a pain to configure than FS-UAE.

FS-UAE is not that hard to configure.

1- Buy AmigaForever to legally obtain the ROM images for the system. (http://www.amigaforever.com)
2- Launch FS-UAE and instruct it to scan the AmigaForever DVD to obtain the ROM images.
3- Obtain the disk images of the games you want to run (legally or illegally, your responsibility).
4- From FS-UAE, go in the Settings menu and instruct it to scan the folders where you downloaded these images.
5- The games should now be listed on FS-UAE games list and should be playable.

There is a bit more than that to this procedure but that is the general gist of it.

However, to answer your question: at the moment, no, there is no way to select a game and play it directly without having to fiddle with an emulator, especially on the Mac.

Also note that since Amiga games are disks based and not ROM based, there are no ROMs to be downloaded, only disk images.
Old 26 August 2018, 19:59   #3
justanotherdj

Thanks,
Tats sounds just about manageable for me! The way I read it was that I had some files from my actual Amiga and that sounded way out of my league!

Does Amiga forever work for Mac then? I’m more than happy to pay for it, as king as it works and I have the capabilities to get it working ??

I wish I could pay someone to do it all for me haha

Old 26 August 2018, 22:37   #4
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdj View Post
Thanks,
Tats sounds just about manageable for me! The way I read it was that I had some files from my actual Amiga and that sounded way out of my league!

Does Amiga forever work for Mac then? I’m more than happy to pay for it, as king as it works and I have the capabilities to get it working ??

I wish I could pay someone to do it all for me haha
Don't we all?

Alas, Amiga Forever does not run on the Mac but its install DVD can be used by FS-UAE to fetch the needed system ROMs.
Old 27 August 2018, 01:18   #5
Hewitson

Don't waste your money on Amiga Forever. The kickstart roms are freely available on the web.