English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 01 November 2010, 22:15   #241
Schoenfeld
electricky.

I believe that the 68030 is the best compromise between compatibility and speed. Most games don't work with 040/060, so such a "high end" thing would not only be insanely expensive (way more logic and the overpriced CPU itself), but you'd always need a secondary machine with a slower processor. Those apps that really require some CPU horsepower run perfectly (and a lot faster) on emulation.

Remember that these accelerators were created in order to give a descent amount of memory to the Amiga for a reasonable price. Speed is not the target - it's mainly memory. The faster speed is a positive side-effect.

Jens
Old 02 November 2010, 14:58   #242
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

Damnit, it seems we could get better results on the A600 with this new 030 board and Indivision than on an equivalent A1200...

Lucky A600 users.

However i would buy one A1200 030 board.
Old 02 November 2010, 15:47   #243
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Remember that these accelerators were created in order to give a descent amount of memory to the Amiga for a reasonable price. Speed is not the target - it's mainly memory. The faster speed is a positive side-effect.
I don't know much about these things, but wouldn't it be cheaper to use the 25 or 33 MHz 68020 if the card is primarily meant to be a memory expansion?
Old 02 November 2010, 15:50   #244
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Then you get probably problems with the PCMCIA port, if you use more than 4MB.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 02 November 2010 at 16:08.
Old 02 November 2010, 16:05   #245
babel2k

go jens go!

why dont you choose a PCB color to customize your good AC cards?

just a question about HD/CF card integration with your ACA, what about customer who like me already have a IDE to CF adaptor (soarland, addonics)?
can you insert multiple holes to clip the best selling?

thanks for good hw for good computer
Old 02 November 2010, 16:08   #246
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Then you get probably problems with the PCMCIA port, if you use more than 4MB. What's the 68020 address limit, 8 or 16 MB fastram?
Yes but I mean the full 68020 with 32-bit address bus, not the 68EC020 with 24-bit bus.
Old 02 November 2010, 16:13   #247
Khyron

I think he mentioned somewhere he had stock of the 030's from the older ACA630 product.. even then new stock from a supplier for a PGA '020 at 25mhz is around twice the price of of the same speed PGA '030

These parts are all EOL so pricing doesn't follow what you think it would be.. just take a look at the any disti and see..
Old 02 November 2010, 16:21   #248
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babel2k View Post
why dont you choose a PCB color to customize your good AC cards?
Not sure what you mean - the A1200 cards are white, the A600 cards are black. Isn't that "customizing" enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by babel2k View Post
just a question about HD/CF card integration with your ACA
There is no integration like that. The card(s) do NOT come with a CF-IDE adapter. You will have to supply your own. The A600 case does NOT close if you use a standard harddisk.

Jens
Old 02 November 2010, 16:24   #249
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
I don't know much about these things, but wouldn't it be cheaper to use the 25 or 33 MHz 68020 if the card is primarily meant to be a memory expansion?
I'll think about that once the "fair prices" for 68030 are over and I have to look at other sources. The 020 has almost the same bus interface, but no data cache, no burst and no syncronous data transfer. This makes it substantially slower. Since the price of the logic and the memory is the same, I thought that I'd go for the "faster side-effect" :-)

Jens
Old 02 November 2010, 16:26   #250
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyLucke View Post
Damnit, it seems we could get better results on the A600 with this new 030 board and Indivision than on an equivalent A1200...
Only on ADoom. For the rest, the A1200 still has a lot of advantages.

Jens
Old 02 November 2010, 16:32   #251
babel2k

Quote:
Not sure what you mean - the A1200 cards are white, the A600 cards are black. Isn't that "customizing" enough?
yes that's true
I mean that you can use for example black for all A600 pcbs like Indivision ECS (not sure if it is black) and A603 mem expansion (i know that is green)
maybe for next prodution batch
but this is only my humble suggestion

Quote:
There is no integration like that. The card(s) do NOT come with a CF-IDE adapter. You will have to supply your own.
ah, ok i misunderstand!

Quote:

The A600 case does NOT close if you use a standard harddisk.
Jens
sorry I wrote HD but I refer to CF (that is awesome!)
ciao
Old 02 November 2010, 16:48   #252
TronPlayer

Sorry but I'm trying to understang this new 30 card for the 1200. It is not going to provide much of a speed boost, only memory expansion? I've been looking for an accelerator so I can run games and CWB 3.9 at a good speed. Is this not the card for me? Thx
Old 02 November 2010, 17:44   #253
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

@TronPlayer: he said the memory expansion was his main goal and the speed boost is a bonus positive side effect

So yes you would get both with these new 030 cards.
Old 04 November 2010, 04:39   #254
TronPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
@TronPlayer: he said the memory expansion was his main goal and the speed boost is a bonus positive side effect

So yes you would get both with these new 030 cards.

Thanks for the reply. Also, do you know if this card will allow simultaneous pcmcia access for CF cards, network cards etc?
Old 04 November 2010, 09:11   #255
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Both cards are PCMCIA-friendly.

Jens
Old 04 November 2010, 12:37   #256
khph_re

Quote:
I believe that the 68030 is the best compromise between compatibility and speed. Most games don't work with 040/060, so such a "high end" thing would not only be insanely expensive (way more logic and the overpriced CPU itself), but you'd always need a secondary machine with a slower processor. Those apps that really require some CPU horsepower run perfectly (and a lot faster) on emulation.

Jens
That's a shame :-( , a lot of us already own 030 accelerators. For new users who are looking for a cheap accel/memory combo, these cards are great. For existing 030 owners, not so much of an upgrade.

As for emulation, what applies to apps, also applies to games. Those of us who own real amigas and are looknig for accelerators, are generally looking to go as fast as we can.

When it comes to 030 being more compatible, I thought WHDload fixes a lot of those problems?
Old 04 November 2010, 12:47   #257
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
I also think a faster 060 accelerator would be welcomed and sell very well. So many people want to upgrade their Apollo's to 060 and Blizzard 1260's always sell quickly so there is definately a market.

I would love a 100mhz+ 060 that supports faster Memory, I think that would awesome and if such a project was viable I think it would be successful. And bolt some kind of RTG/Indivision onto that and you'd be onto a winner.

As far as I can see you have two types of user here, those who want a basic WHDLoad machine and those who have an upgrade bug who just want to push the limits of what is possible with these machines.

Steve.
Old 04 November 2010, 13:10   #258
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I am GLAD for any accelerator, even 020. It is highly welcome. There is a lack of accelerators, only some overpirced 15 years old ones. People, Jens tries to invent something wonderful for us, Amiga community, so please keep your comments "it would be better to..." only for yourself. Thank you.
Old 04 November 2010, 13:28   #259
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
I am GLAD for any accelerator, even 020. It is highly welcome. There is a lack of accelerators, only some overpirced 15 years old ones. People, Jens tries to invent something wonderful for us, Amiga community, so please keep your comments "it would be better to..." only for yourself. Thank you.

I didn't say my suggestion was better, or that the project Jens is working on is wrong. But this is a forum after all so why keep suggestions to our selves?

I think its great Jens is working on these projects and bringing new upgrades to our classic systems.

But telling us to keep our opions to ourselves I think thats a bit silly since the idea of this thread is to provide feedback.

Steve.
Old 04 November 2010, 13:44   #260
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I would like to express my full support to Jens' awesome work and I will buy at least one of those three cards, possibly two. BTW that was not against you, fitzsteve.