English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad > project.Killergorilla's WHD packs

Old 15 March 2007, 15:04   #1
solamnic

Question Regarding the WHDload Packs

I ve been a loyal user of Killergorilla's Whdload Packs i ve downloaded every single one till July 2006 which i think was the last one ..

With great joy i found out today that a new site was on where i could download a WHDload update pack... This site also includes Whdload Packs from 0 - Z..

My question is this.. These Whdload Packs have updated Whdload games since July 2006 pack?

Will the August 2006 - Feb 2007 packs will ever be released?...

Killergorilla keep up the great work....
Old 15 March 2007, 15:20   #2
lopos2000
Zone Friend

Hi solamnic,
the site has moved. Here's the link to the new KG website ---> link
Old 15 March 2007, 15:52   #3
solamnic

Thank u for ur quick answer..

i know the link that u mention
thats how i ve found out about the release of the New Whdload Pack...

My questions regard the new site of Killergorilla and the new Whdload Packs..

Old 15 March 2007, 17:56   #4
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Hopefully this should answer your question!

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=28562
Old 15 March 2007, 18:16   #5
Shamino

Suggestion for improving the packs:

Why not use the icons at http://www.amigagames.com/gameicons.info/ for directory icons, instead of those horrid MagicWB icons? Makes it look much better, and also quicker and easier to find the game you want (no need to read the names of the directories).

See attached screenshot for an example. By the way it's a 640x512 screenmode IIRC, icons won't look so big using a higher resolution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.png
Views:	334
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	13392  
Old 15 March 2007, 18:28   #6
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamino

Why not use the icons at http://www.amigagames.com/gameicons.info/ for directory icons, instead of those horrid MagicWB icons? Makes it look much better, and also quicker and easier to find the game you want (no need to read the names of the directories).

See attached screenshot for an example. By the way it's a 640x512 screenmode IIRC, icons won't look so big using a higher resolution.
you mean go through all the game icons just to make up for your lazyness at reading text ?
Old 15 March 2007, 19:21   #7
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:

Never gonna happen.

My project, much like Bloodwych's ClassicWB is meant for people with classic Amigas.

I will not have OS3.5 icons in my pack as these aren't friendly with a workbench 3.0 setup.

If you don't like the MagicWB icons then do a bulk icon replacement. Should be easy enough on the Amiga you took the screenshot from.

The icons in your screenshot are far too big, and that's at 640x512, my A1200 is at 640x256.
Old 16 March 2007, 08:36   #8
solamnic

Killergorilla... the link u provided answered all my questions....

Thx a lot... and keep up the great work....

Thank god there are still many out there who still care for Amiga Games and not Play WOW...!!!!...
Old 16 March 2007, 14:52   #9
Shamino

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
Never gonna happen.

My project, much like Bloodwych's ClassicWB is meant for people with classic Amigas.
OS3.5 runs on classic Amigas.

Quote:
I will not have OS3.5 icons in my pack as these aren't friendly with a workbench 3.0 setup.
So why not support OS1.0 as well then? Of course no one will upgrade to OS3.5 if nothing takes advantage of its extra features. No wonder the Amiga is dying.

Quote:
If you don't like the MagicWB icons then do a bulk icon replacement. Should be easy enough on the Amiga you took the screenshot from.
Yes, I already have, but my point is that everyone would have to do that, whereas if it was done at the source, it would save everyone a great deal of hassle.

OS3.5 has been out for nearly 8 years now, curious as to why do you not want to upgrade? Is there something wrong with it?

Quote:
The icons in your screenshot are far too big, and that's at 640x512, my A1200 is at 640x256.
Well the people who made them obviously don't think so, they look just fine in any reasonable screenmode. I didn't realize anyone still used 640x256, must be horrible trying to browse the web or do any useful work in that screenmode :-( Awful aspect ratio, I believe Commodore defined a 1:1 ratio back in the early 90s, all your apps must look stretched. If you want to be *that* retro you may as well run them from floppy on an A500 :-)

Last edited by Shamino; 16 March 2007 at 14:58.
Old 16 March 2007, 15:12   #10
ppill
CON: artist

Quote:
Yes, I already have, but my point is that everyone would have to do that, whereas if it was done at the source, it would save everyone a great deal of hassle.

OS3.5 has been out for nearly 8 years now, curious as to why do you not want to upgrade? Is there something wrong with it?
The Amiga has always been about customising things yourself. If you want your own icons go ahead add them (like you've already have). If the icons where 3.5 compatible KG would have to deal with post like "All I can see are small little squares... where are the icons gone?" from people who don't have 3.5 OS installed. The icons that are used now are compatible with most versions of the icon.library and at least the majority users out there will see something. And besides these packs are about Games not icons.

Last edited by ppill; 16 March 2007 at 15:19.
Old 16 March 2007, 15:18   #11
ppill
CON: artist

Quote:
I believe Commodore defined a 1:1 ratio back in the early 90s, all your apps must look stretched. If you want to be *that* retro you may as well run them from floppy on an A500 :-)
Too bad they didn't implement a flicker-fixer in every machine that could display such modes. Have you ever tried using your workbench in a Laced mode for more than an hour? Believe it or not but some people still use their Amigas connected to TV sets or PAL monitors and are stuck with a 'stretched' display.
If you already changed the icons why not prepare a pack that would just replace the original ones. I'm sure it would be a welcomed addition to these packs.
Old 16 March 2007, 15:34   #12
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Ah another lovely post

Quote:
OS3.5 runs on classic Amigas.
An A1200 with 030 is IMO the best configuration for playing WHDLoad games. This is what I have and I know many others have on the board. OS3.5 runs like crap on an Amiga with that setup.

Quote:
So why not support OS1.0 as well then?
Because to get anything out of WHDLoad you have to have kickstart 2.0 and you really need at least 2.0mb of RAM. In which case you wouldn't be using WB1.0.

Quote:
Of course no one will upgrade to OS3.5 if nothing takes advantage of its extra features. No wonder the Amiga is dying.
The Amiga as a platform isn't dying, it's dead (all in my humble opinion of course). I play games from years gone by because they rocked, and they still do. I have no interest in anything else other than games. ClassicWB has every feature I need for my Amiga, I have no need to 'upgrade' to a slower OS.

Quote:
And it'll create a lot more hassle for everyone who doesn't use OS3.5, which is a hell of a lot of people.

Quote:
I don't consider it an upgrade. It'll make my machine run like crap. Much the same reason I haven't 'upgraded' to Vista because it'll run like a dog on my machine.

Quote:
Well the people who made them obviously don't think so, they look just fine in any reasonable screenmode. I didn't realize anyone still used 640x256, must be horrible trying to browse the web or do any useful work in that screenmode :-( Awful aspect ratio, I believe Commodore defined a 1:1 ratio back in the early 90s, all your apps must look stretched. If you want to be *that* retro you may as well run them from floppy on an A500 :-)
It's not retro, it's the only useable screenmode on a TV with an A1200.
Why the hell would I want to browse the web on MY Amiga?
I'd be better off using my Dreamcast to browse the wb.