English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 February 2012, 00:11   #1
BigHyorgi

Anyone playing Knightmare?

Or remember playing it? I realize it's a 20 year old game. I played it in '91 or '92, but abandoned it because it was too difficult and frustrating. So I thought I'd try to restart the game in WinUAE. Most of the memories came flooding back when I started to replay it. I'm almost halfway through, but I forget what some of the spells do. I've scoured the net for anything Knightmare related. There's that 100 part walk through on youtube and I found a site that explained how to play the game. Still, I don't know what rem does. Sometimes my characters start to lose stamina, and I don't know why. They're not overburdened and are well fed. How can your healer character heal herself? I can't remember if the instructions told you what the spells did or if you were supposed to figure them out for yourself. It's a great quirky RPG, but like I say, difficult and frustrating.
Old 10 February 2012, 13:44   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Lemon seems to have the manual:

http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=647

.. but it doesn't say anything about spells or a mysterious reason to lose stamina

The latter is some hidden copy protection thingy perhaps?
Old 10 February 2012, 13:56   #3
Bloodwych

Don't know of any manual, but I think REM had something to do with faster healing in your sleep.
Old 10 February 2012, 17:36   #4
BigHyorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Lemon seems to have the manual:

http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=647

.. but it doesn't say anything about spells or a mysterious reason to lose stamina

The latter is some hidden copy protection thingy perhaps?
Well, I vaguely remember that everything wasn't laid out for you. You had to figure some things out by yourself. Possibly Captive was like this.
Old 10 February 2012, 17:38   #5
BigHyorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Don't know of any manual, but I think REM had something to do with faster healing in your sleep.
Ah. I'll compare rem and non rem sleep/healing. Rem stands for rapid eye movement, I guess.
Old 10 February 2012, 19:28   #6
Lord Riton

Never liked that games graphics. Bad colors in my opinion. I started it 2 or 3 times, never played it for long.
Captive was miles away better than this ! (both were made by Anthony Crowther)
Old 10 February 2012, 21:22   #7
Cherno

I played it back then. I didn't know what to do, all my heroes had were tiny knives and there were those werid hobit creatures running around. There was also a mining cart you could jump in that rushed along the track at an insane speed, I don't know what the deal was with that
Old 10 February 2012, 22:05   #8
BigHyorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Riton View Post
Never liked that games graphics. Bad colors in my opinion. I started it 2 or 3 times, never played it for long.
Captive was miles away better than this ! (both were made by Anthony Crowther)
Yes, Captive was the better game. More balanced. Once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down. There was even a bug in the game. Something to do with a door code. The right code was released to some amiga magazine, I think, and I was able to finish it.
Old 10 February 2012, 22:11   #9
Zandig

You can find the official manual at the Amiga-Manuals website:

http://amiga-manuals.xiik.net/games/G-K/index.php
Old 10 February 2012, 22:13   #10
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHyorgi View Post
Yes, Captive was the better game. More balanced. Once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down. There was even a bug in the game. Something to do with a door code. The right code was released to some amiga magazine, I think, and I was able to finish it.
You have not finished Captive!
Old 10 February 2012, 22:24   #11
BigHyorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherno View Post
I played it back then. I didn't know what to do, all my heroes had were tiny knives and there were those werid hobit creatures running around. There was also a mining cart you could jump in that rushed along the track at an insane speed, I don't know what the deal was with that
Yeah, really hard game to get into. Crappy weapons and armor. Rabbits could kick your ass. No compass. Took me forever to get to know the wilderness area. It was better once you got into the dungeons. Still, I gave it up when it stopped being fun. Twenty years later, I'm back for more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandig View Post
You can find the official manual at the Amiga-Manuals website:

http://amiga-manuals.xiik.net/games/G-K/index.php
Woah. Nice link. I'm surprised this site didn't come up when I was googling.
Old 10 February 2012, 22:26   #12
BigHyorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
You have not finished Captive!
What? Could you explain?
Old 10 February 2012, 22:28   #13
BippyM
Global Moderator

There are 65535 levels

You probably completed the first 11. Did the space station and then Trill is captured again and you start on a new set of missions!

Here is the nets best resource for Captive, which is run by one of our members (Lyverbe) http://captive.atari.org/index.php
Old 10 February 2012, 23:34   #14
BigHyorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
There are 65535 levels

You probably completed the first 11. Did the space station and then Trill is captured again and you start on a new set of missions!

Here is the nets best resource for Captive, which is run by one of our members (Lyverbe) http://captive.atari.org/index.php
You're right. Getting older. Memory fading. That's a great link.
Old 11 February 2012, 00:05   #15
Cherno

I also found out many years later (about 2 years ago actually) that Knightmare was based on some weird British TV show I've never even heard of
Old 11 February 2012, 01:28   #16
BigHyorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherno View Post
I also found out many years later (about 2 years ago actually) that Knightmare was based on some weird British TV show I've never even heard of
Yeah, the show never played in Canada. From what I can gather, being familiar with the show doesn't help you with the game itself.
Old 11 February 2012, 02:41   #17
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHyorgi View Post
Yeah, the show never played in Canada. From what I can gather, being familiar with the show doesn't help you with the game itself.
well worth a look on YouTube though!
Old 11 February 2012, 10:18   #18
Bloodwych

Knightmare was a great show well ahead of its time - artist and computer generated greenrooms in a 1987 kids show! Plus they used Amigas in production!

http://www.knightmare.com/

...and the theme tune rocked. The game at least kept that part, and the various "quests", but apart from that it has little to do with the show. I'm the same as Cherno - played it for a while, but the bleak feeling and colours in the game didn't grab my attention for too long and had a rather downbeat atmosphere.
Old 11 February 2012, 11:19   #19
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I remember something about this game.. Here is my story

First problem was that it was badly cracked, "dust cloud" (appeared when enemy died) always crashed it. Found and fixed the protection checksum using Action Replay (and I think I patched it on disk later). This probably caused my problems later in game..

I played it long time, very long time without too many problems, it was quite interesting and difficult. Difficult compared to Captive or for example Black Crypt. Playing Warhead without manuals was easier..

Graphician's style also didn't really fit in game's dungeon/castle theme but it was perfect in Captive. IMHO.

Then I got stuck. I don't remember which was the first problem. It was either short railroad track where the cart went back and forwards few steps or the maze (I think there was note that said something like "You'll die of old age")

I think I solved the track part (threw some stuff over the edge), I think "click" was heard but then absolutely nothing happened. After days (?) of trying everything I could think of, it was clearly time to CHEAT! After some Action Replay disassembly I managed to walk through walls. I could continue playing again normally.

Then came the maze (or vice versa) and I got totally stuck. Time to cheat again. Again I could continue. I think this was just a difficult puzzle, not a copy protection issue, I just couldn't bother with it anymore, this game started to annoy me too much.

Final area was filled with ghosts. I mean totally filled with ghosts, each square had a ghost enemy. It was final time to cheat and I found the ending room and saw the ending image and coming soon Captive II screen.

I assumed some of these problems were caused by copy protection remains, maybe now, after about 20 years later, it is time to recheck

No guarantees that I remembered above correctly..
Old 11 February 2012, 20:29   #20
BigHyorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Knightmare was a great show well ahead of its time - artist and computer generated greenrooms in a 1987 kids show! Plus they used Amigas in production!

http://www.knightmare.com/

...and the theme tune rocked. The game at least kept that part, and the various "quests", but apart from that it has little to do with the show. I'm the same as Cherno - played it for a while, but the bleak feeling and colours in the game didn't grab my attention for too long and had a rather downbeat atmosphere.
Yeah, I know what you mean about the colors and atmosphere. I liked it because it was different than the other dungeon master clones/rip offs. There's no background music, but the game feels somewhat alive with the constant warp and clanking sounds around you. I read somewhere that the sounds were enhanced if you had 1 meg of ram. I set up winuae with the 500+ option, but could hear no difference.