English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 25 August 2011, 23:47   #1
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Back With A Vengeance..New Amiga Launcher

Ok a new Amiga Launcher but Legal !!

This is just a lancher demo i would like your opinion on pls....
Started this one last week and its for a specific collection

All the user will need to do is download the games and add them to the games dir.....No roms or configs will need to be added just the games

This will be no more than a kind of mame launcher...but for a specific collection as i stated
But i have a lot to do on this ...Approx 150 menu screens still to go and making the anims takes time...

No install required just download and run..

Need feedback on looks...colours...general menu construction pls

Check it out !! http://www.lastninjachronicles.co.uk/AmigaLauncher.exe
Old 26 August 2011, 00:45   #2
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Haven't looked at it yet, but wanted to say thanks.
It's great that you haven't let the b'stards grind you down
Old 26 August 2011, 01:00   #3
PaulyQ

Agree with DDNI 100%.

I'm not one to speak out of turn normally but on this issue I think I speak for a lot of people when I say this - the issue of the former thread (relating to the use of rom image in his launcher) and the "public ticking off" was for me unjustified for somebody who is trying to keep the amiga alive and easy to reach, the files were not hosted on the EAB server so although it was linked from this site, I see no issue.

In addition, I wonder how many files are on the EAB server which still hold copyright??

Double standards and hypocrisy!

@Synchro.. keep on, keeping on

back on topic; TESTING for you mate.

OK, like the interface, but I feel that you are still going to miss out on the netbook install without an adjustable and dynamic interface that resizes (yup, I'm harping back to the other launchers).

I can't use this or any of your other launchers on my netbook as your interface just loves to be big. Is there no way to make the interface relative rather than hard coded (much like webpages... oooh.. theres an idea, use a browser with an interface and throw command lines to the program?)

Colours are spot on, nice clear interface for desktop and laptops, netbook version will need some resizing. still love the idea though, good luck with the rest of it if you need testers etc, feel free to contact me.

Last edited by TCD; 26 August 2011 at 01:25.
Old 26 August 2011, 08:52   #4
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulyQ View Post
Agree with DDNI 100%.

I'm not one to speak out of turn normally but on this issue I think I speak for a lot of people when I say this - the issue of the former thread (relating to the use of rom image in his launcher) and the "public ticking off" was for me unjustified for somebody who is trying to keep the amiga alive and easy to reach, the files were not hosted on the EAB server so although it was linked from this site, I see no issue.

In addition, I wonder how many files are on the EAB server which still hold copyright??

Double standards and hypocrisy!
http://eab.abime.net/faq.php?faq=eab..._ks_wb_faqitem

It's in the rules and has been probably from day one. Sorry, but if something is still being sold and the copyright/licence holder does not take too kindly to their products being distributed then we don't have much choice, even if it's only linked as we (and the person's site in question) can still get into trouble for it. It doesn't mean we like it being this way, that's just how it is (and this has been discussed a million times before). It's nothing personal.

As for your comment regarding the EAB server, why not check it before making such a statement? As it is it just looks like you're throwing your toys out of the pram for no reason. If you do find any such files while thoroughly checking it (because you'll want to do so to back up your comments, of course) then by all means let us know and they will be removed.

Otherwise please stick to the facts before deciding to chime in next time. Thanks.
Old 26 August 2011, 09:38   #5
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
As for your comment regarding the EAB server, why not check it before making such a statement? As it is it just looks like you're throwing your toys out of the pram for no reason. If you do find any such files while thoroughly checking it (because you'll want to do so to back up your comments, of course) then by all means let us know and they will be removed.

Otherwise please stick to the facts before deciding to chime in next time. Thanks.
But PaulyQ may be correct

At a glimpse a Full collection of CD32 Games ? and some CDTV
My opologies if they are now freeware ?

If so i could legally use them..That would help a lot...

Just a note though that this launcher is legal

Last edited by synchro; 26 August 2011 at 09:59.
Old 26 August 2011, 09:56   #6
Graham Humphrey

What part of 'STILL SOLD AND SUPPORTED' are you having trouble understanding?
Old 26 August 2011, 10:02   #7
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
What part of 'STILL SOLD AND SUPPORTED' are you having trouble understanding?
Dont take that tone with me for starters !!

I said nothing to cause such a defensive reply.

So does that mean i can legally supply them with a free launcher

Last edited by synchro; 26 August 2011 at 10:07.
Old 26 August 2011, 10:10   #8
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Hey! Bitches put your handbags down!!

Sorry if my supportive comment threw this OT.
Back OT I am testing now.
Old 26 August 2011, 11:12   #9
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
Hey! Bitches put your handbags down!!

Sorry if my supportive comment threw this OT.
Back OT I am testing now.
Well what does he expect

I did put " My opologies if they are now freeware ? "
Maybe CD32 were freely distributable and i was unaware of this....In fact by what Graham states i may be able to make a CD32 Launcher...users would only have to pop a cd32 rom in the dir

Your Feedback will be appreciated....Thanks DDNI
Old 26 August 2011, 13:26   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchro View Post
Dont take that tone with me for starters !!

I said nothing to cause such a defensive reply.

So does that mean i can legally supply them with a free launcher
I think if you read the section of the rules that Graham linked to properly, there would be no need for an argument here. All Workbench disks and Kickstarts are a 100% no-go, same with software that is still sold 'first hand'. Everything else is 'tolerated'. If someone holds the rights to a software and asks us to remove it, we will do so and not allow it to be uploaded to the zone or the file server either.

In regard to your launcher : Where do I have to put which files? Seems like it's a 'standalone' exe, so any instructions for it to actually work?

@PaulyQ
Again, reading the rules is even in your join email, so why don't you do it next time before talking bollocks?
Old 26 August 2011, 15:35   #11
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
Everything else is 'tolerated'. If someone holds the rights to a software and asks us to remove it, we will do so and not allow it to be uploaded to the zone or the file server either.
Thats all Graham had to say...Nothing in my post deserved.... What part of BLAH BLAH dont you understand ( Even now thats winding me up )

I had no beef till that point..I had my say back to him and forgot about it as you can see in the post after.

The launcher is just a demo executable for looks and if you guys like the anim ideas etc..The proper version is an installer like the 64 one i made....Once installed just copy the game collection straight into the games Directory...The launcher itself will not contain any kickstarts or anything illegal so it can be freely distributable. Bit like a mame launcher..

Its a specific collection like i said ( Not your usual ADF) but i know i cant put the link to the site here. Once you see the final version a quick look on google will find them in seconds

PS...Naked pics of your wives may sway me though JUST KIDDING !!!!!! Just trying to lighten the mood
Old 26 August 2011, 15:53   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Okay, fair enough.

I kinda see why Graham got a bit blunt though. It's a rather short paragraph to read and it clearly says what's allowed and what's not. Just my two cents.

On another note (and to make this post at least somewhat constructive ) : Why don't you make your launcher use ADFs (and not those fishy exes which contain dodgy stuff) and just make the user copy the KS files over once? Surely that would be a much easier and more flexible way to get people to use it?
Old 26 August 2011, 18:16   #13
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

TheCyberDruid...

This menu is being made for a group ( i think your aware of who by the sound of it ) I offered to make them one as it was so easy in this case just point the menu to the exe's so this is a seperate project really. I have never seen them before...Are they not popular then ?

Making an adf version for those who prefer is not a problem i was working on one b4 this anyway and if you like the menu format i can stick with it making it easier for me....I just need to make the "setting up" as you stated easier to keep it a legal launcher and user friendly

Got lots on now...Im Buzzing
Old 27 August 2011, 01:07   #14
PaulyQ

Quote:
@PaulyQ
Again, reading the rules is even in your join email, so why don't you do it next time before talking bollocks?

I read rules, I know things are tolerated, please do not insult my intelligence, but there was no need for for a personal attack, your a global mod and this is bang out of order!!

I'm not going to flame for no reason, I just think that instead of chastising a member in public (which was wrong), a better way to do it would have been to offer a solution to his problem, and on top of that it could have been done via PM.

I am not a child and don't like being spoken to like a pleb, I know what is on the server and although "tolerated" it doesn't make it right. Never knew Lightwave 5 was free, so I'm not talking bollocks, you just need to check the server before having a go at me about copyright material!!

Really sorry to go OT but this needed to be said.

Synchro, I'm not trying to hijack this thread at all, the "loader" works well for what you have done so far and I would like to offer my support in anyway I can to get this up and running, would love to know what SDK you are using and how it works to help further this and other projects. If Forever Amiga can do it and make money, you never know a good front end like this could do wonders!!

Quote:
'STILL SOLD AND SUPPORTED'
2 wrongs don't make a right - Igonorance is not a defence in the eyes of the law!! Copyright is copyright.

ergo.... Lightwave is copyrighted, WB is copyrighted, KS is copyrighted................. where is the line drawn??

Last edited by TCD; 27 August 2011 at 13:02.
Old 27 August 2011, 01:53   #15
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
but there was no need for for a personal attack, your a global mod and this is bang out of order!!
As opposed to accusing the mods of double standards and hypocrisy with no evidence other than what you 'think', which, of course, is perfectly acceptable.

Quote:
I'm not going to flame for no reason, I just think that instead of chastising a member in public (which was wrong), a better way to do it would have been to offer a solution to his problem, and on top of that it could have been done via PM.
Okay. So why not say that in the first place then, instead of talking about copyright and all that stuff when that is not your actual issue?

Quote:
I am not a child and don't like being spoken to like a pleb
Well don't throw your toys out of the pram in the most embarrassing manner possible then.

Quote:
Never knew Lightwave 5 was free
So where can you still buy it? If you can buy it anywhere and/or you know the copyright holders object to this being distributed and can prove it, by all means post in the File Server section and it will be looked at. I trust you are not doing this, for example, as a desperate attempt to justify your first post and this was the best you could do.

Quote:
so I'm not talking bollocks
Er, yes you are. And TCD approves every single upload to the File Server, I believe, so if something does break our rules then they will be deleted. Of course, we are all human and something can be genuinely missed in error so by all means point this out if so.

Quote:
ergo.... Lightwave is copyrighted, WB is copyrighted, KS is copyrighted................. where is the line drawn??
Er, if the products are still being sold, or if the copyright holders decide they don't want their products to be distributed. Pretty simple I would have thought. A very, very small number do object. They are our rules and it's as simple as that. This has all been discussed loads of times so why not do a search on the subject.

While I'm here -

@synchro

I repsonded the way I did because, due to the way you opened your post, I believed you were trying to back up PaulyQ's initial rant. If this was not your intention then I apologise for coming across harshly.

Anyway, no more OT posts now please. Any further disruption of a worthwhile subject will be deleted without warning.
Old 27 August 2011, 09:51   #16
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

@synchro

this looks great mate keep up the good work

adfs would be a nice addon too or even both could be used

john
Old 27 August 2011, 13:06   #17
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Never knew Lightwave 5 was free, so I'm not talking bollocks, you just need to check the server before having a go at me about copyright material!!
Okay, were is Lightwave 5 still being sold? I think your 'go' was totally uncalled for here. The reason is that WB and KS is clearly not allowed and if you think something else needs to be removed you could always ask via PM or directly here on the forum. If you're not a child, think twice before you post 'Double standards and hypocrisy!' next time.
Old 27 August 2011, 14:00   #18
PaulyQ

it wasn't a "go", was just my persepective.

"if you think something else needs to be removed you could always ask via PM or directly here on the forum" - agreed, never asked for anything to be removed but agree the point.

"If you're not a child, think twice before you post 'Double standards and hypocrisy!' next time." - I won't be drawn into argument/flame war on this, neither the time or the place.

Everything has an equal and opposite reaction, it's what makes the world go round, if I have offended anybody that was not the intention, all I was doing was pointing out facts as I see them which I am entited to do.
Old 27 August 2011, 14:09   #19
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Right, so mind pointing out where Lightwave 5 is still sold?

Oh and about that 'flame war' : That's why I mention that everybody should rethink before posting something that will cause a reaction.
Old 27 August 2011, 17:14   #20
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Hmm ok lets see if we can clear this one up...

I think the problem here is a misunderstanding of what EAB allow and what they dont and i got confused initally as well.

When i first read PaulyQ's post i didnt absorb it but did look on the EAB server and the first thing i saw was a collection of CD32 games. My response was posting.."PaulyQ may be right" which Graham read as support but it was more written as surprise...Perhaps i should have written...( OMG !! PaulyQ may be right )

This was because i read the link graham left and it said... "It is illegal to distribute kickstart ROMs or Workbench disks " but i saw the invisible words Games and ADF's as well...Honest

Of course it does not mention them at all !! ....And as TheCyberdruid stated they are tolerated....as in they are no longer supported or sold...

PaulyQ..In your Defence yes for example Alien breed does have a copyright there can be no denying that but it is not supported or sold and if the owner wishes it removed they will do so....The magic word here was TOLERATED

I dont think of it as Hypocrisy though just rules with a bit of give and take thrown in....I misread the rules and made my own assumpsions maybe you did slightly as well...Now i understand them better there is more leaway than i thought so its not so bad....Take a moment...have a think...its all got way over the top now.

Dont get me wrong either....I think all roms etc should be free for all of us...we put in our time and supported the amiga till the end....Restrictions on 20 year old machines is stupid we are all trying to keep it alive....But i cant Blame EAB for that...Their hands are tied as well

BTW..Thanks for all the photos Guys...

Last edited by synchro; 27 August 2011 at 19:25.