English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 25 October 2010, 23:19   #21
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
Carl himself just posted a response on his blog which should end this whole affair. He is satisfied with the people that purchased the items and that is all that matters.

For anyone still worried about the fate of these systems, take a deep breath. They are in good hands and we all plan to share them with the community, document them, photograph them and bring them to future events whenever possible. Like the man himself said, they are better off out with Amiga fans than sitting in his basement.

Thanks Paul for "having my back" hehe
Old 25 October 2010, 23:45   #22
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by illy5603 View Post
For anyone still worried about the fate of these systems, take a deep breath. They are in good hands and we all plan to share them with the community, document them, photograph them and bring them to future events whenever possible. Like the man himself said, they are better off out with Amiga fans than sitting in his basement.
That's the spirit Much better than having them sit in some 'museum' that might charge for having a look at the OMFG! RARE! hardware
Old 27 October 2010, 18:47   #23
voxel
Amiga Nuts!

all museum aren't like that, countless of them are free to visit.
Old 27 October 2010, 20:51   #24
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli_HD View Post
God I wish he had stuck those on ebay! lol
I want all the CDTV Stuf!
I got a CDTV Pro Kit, just need to contact carls wife to arrange delivery. I think Illy for the unopened one, .
Old 27 October 2010, 21:31   #25
illy5603

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
I got a CDTV Pro Kit, just need to contact carls wife to arrange delivery. I think Illy for the unopened one, .
Yessir, and the CDTV to go with it. I may or may not keep these. The other items are going in to my "Museum." Visitors welcome, bring Scotch or beer and be ready to get retro!
Old 27 October 2010, 21:34   #26
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Visitors welcome, bring Scotch and beer and be ready to get retro!
Fixed \o/ Won't repeat the 'spirit' bit, but it surely applies here as well
Old 27 October 2010, 21:50   #27
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
You also need to contact your own wife to tell her! Or does she know about this transaction?

Quote:
Yessir, and the CDTV to go with it. I may or may not keep these. The other items are going in to my "Museum." Visitors welcome, bring Scotch or beer and be ready to get retro!
Should you wish to part with the CDTV could you add me to the long list as I'm really into the CDTV at the moment since aquiring one!
Old 28 October 2010, 14:53   #28
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
You also need to contact your own wife to tell her! Or does she know about this transaction?
Doh, forgot to clear it with "her" that wears the trousers, lol.
Old 28 October 2010, 23:57   #29
voxel
Amiga Nuts!

@illy5603 : it seems you haven't read my answer to carl on his blog,

and I've never said to anyone that I actually have a museum but that I'm trying to collect everything that's ever been produced for the Amiga to set one up for the community.
that's a big goal, takes plenty of space, time and money but I know that I can succeed.

last thing : the same day I spoke with Carl, I asked him to sponsor the museum and Carl has accepted it.
Old 29 October 2010, 01:47   #30
LTAC

@Voxel: this is why I gave you my card VD2001 and I would give other pieces if I did. I trust you for this museum, but we need the support of all the French, it would be much easier! Some merely criticize but do not advance the project (illy5603 )
Old 29 October 2010, 03:40   #31
illy5603

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post

and I've never said to anyone that I actually have a museum but that I'm trying to collect everything that's ever been produced for the Amiga to set one up for the community.
that's a big goal, takes plenty of space, time and money but I know that I can succeed.

last thing : the same day I spoke with Carl, I asked him to sponsor the museum and Carl has accepted it.
Sure, I read your reply but it doesn't change the fact that Carl was more comfortable driving it 50 miles to offer these to a community of people with passion and respect for his work than he was packaging it for shipment to a shop owner in France that he doesn't even remember talking to.

There are plenty of established computer museums in the United States that will probably end up with these now verses them molding in Carl's basement or vanishing off to some museum in Europe that doesn't exist yet.

Sorry, it all still sounds like sour grapes to me.
Old 29 October 2010, 13:51   #32
voxel
Amiga Nuts!

So, illy if I understand you correctly :

- Because I dared to open a shop for Amiga users in France and Belgium where there were no more (shame on me) I am forbidden to try to create a museum devoted entirely to Amiga to protect the maximum possible of its heritage and make it accessible to all...

- There are so many "generalist museums" in America where Carl's equipment may be lost and be forgotten in any closet that it is unnecessary to create another one in France entirely devoted to the Amiga, where he could receive a development worthy of him and his history, a museum whose visit would be free ...

- As I am French I say always lies ...

How can you say that and even think for a moment that you're right? it might be time to remove your blinders and demonstrate a minimum of openness, right?
Old 29 October 2010, 14:41   #33
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Is there even a point to argue about to begin with? Deal's done, museum yet to come. Take it easy guys.
Old 29 October 2010, 17:31   #34
illy5603

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Is there even a point to argue about to begin with? Deal's done, museum yet to come. Take it easy guys.
I agree. It is over and done with. Good luck with your museum Voxel, I am sure you will have no trouble filling it with Amiga collectibles if you keep looking and working at it.
Old 29 October 2010, 19:33   #35
Paul_s

Quote:

It's time for a reality check (and please don't take this personally) - you are living in cloud cuckoo land. I cannot imagine a 'museum' soley for the Amiga surviving for more than 6 months. Those museums in America/Europe have items which were either one-offs or have a unique place in history. The Amiga is not an Eniac, Cray or IBM 360 for example....
Whilst the Amiga is 'special' in its own rights you would need to offer a variety of systems, not just Amiga to keep the public interested.

Who are your sponsers?
What are your yearly running costs vs. footfall (research?) - don't forget your public liability insurance as well and the global recession meaning people are making trips out less and less to places of interest etc...
How are you going to market the museum for people around the world?

Sorry, but the Amiga is not yet a 'dinosaur' so doesn't really belong in a museum. I'd rather look at detailed pictures than paying upto £500 to go and see an Amiga prototype!

Those people who went to Amiwest are the kind of folk who are passionate about Amiga. Why didn't you go in the interests of your planned museum/Amiga legacy?

This kind of reminds me of a shop that's opened in our run down town selling milkshakes...

Last edited by Paul_s; 29 October 2010 at 19:48.
Old 29 October 2010, 21:25   #36
voxel
Amiga Nuts!

Dammit! I would not do it all if I was not passionate about since 1985!

My vision of an amiga museum is so much more wide open and interesting that your's...

and then it is true that the Amiga is not a dinosaur and it is still alive, so why not wait that everything is gone either lost or destroyed before considering to gather and preserve an heritage that is 25 years old yet ? Better, definitely.

if we had done that in the past centuries it is sure that we would not have any kind of museum to visit. Thank God this is not the case, thanks to some people more perceptive and open minded than the others ...
Old 30 October 2010, 00:08   #37
desiv

Wait.. you said the French always lie...

But you are French.. so it must be a lie..

But, if it's a lie, then you aren't lying and the French always lie..

But if the French always lie....

does not compute..

does not compute..

desiv <eol>
Old 30 October 2010, 11:04   #38
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Carl forgot to list the Viscorp-Amiga, which came as a two-board-settop box. I bought that unit and it actually made the way home. I may try to operate it at some point, as it seems to be an A1200 with a removable settop-box extension.

Does anyone know how many of these Viscorp-prototypes have been built?

Jens
Old 30 October 2010, 12:38   #39
Paul_s

Quote:
Dammit! I would not do it all if I was not passionate about since 1985!

My vision of an amiga museum is so much more wide open and interesting that your's...

and then it is true that the Amiga is not a dinosaur and it is still alive, so why not wait that everything is gone either lost or destroyed before considering to gather and preserve an heritage that is 25 years old yet ? Better, definitely.

if we had done that in the past centuries it is sure that we would not have any kind of museum to visit. Thank God this is not the case, thanks to some people more perceptive and open minded than the others ...
I can see you are passionate about this project but if that's what you want then go ahead, but you will need a lot of money to make it viable as a single entity. The Amiga community isn't that big which is why you'd be better off renting some space at an exisiting computer museum for the Amiga