English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 20 May 2004, 19:54   #1
D-Dan
AMD powered UAE

Sudden slowdowns

OK - I accidentally deleted my default WinUAE config and had to start again. As far as I can tell, I've set everything back up the way it was, but now, after a few seconds, the emulation slows to a crawl. Pressing F12 to open the GUI and closing it again resumes full speed for about 30 seconds when it will suddenly slow down again.

Any ideas what I've done wrong?

Also, I've noticed that when running in a priority other than normal, at startup, a WinUAE message appears saying "Priority=x!" where x is 1 for above normal, and 2 for highest. In full screen mode, you can't see the requestor (though pressing "Enter" clears it) and the emulation freezes until the requestor is cleared. Is this perhaps some debugging output that's been left behind?
Old 20 May 2004, 20:38   #2
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dan
OK - I accidentally deleted my default WinUAE config and had to start again. As far as I can tell, I've set everything back up the way it was, but now, after a few seconds, the emulation slows to a crawl. Pressing F12 to open the GUI and closing it again resumes full speed for about 30 seconds when it will suddenly slow down again.
I had this with all the recent WinUAE releases. Set Priority to "below normal" and it will fly again.

Quote:
Also, I've noticed that when running in a priority other than normal, at startup, a WinUAE message appears saying "Priority=x!" where x is 1 for above normal, and 2 for highest. In full screen mode, you can't see the requestor (though pressing "Enter" clears it) and the emulation freezes until the requestor is cleared. Is this perhaps some debugging output that's been left behind?
This is mentioned in the "0.8.26 bugs" thread.
Old 20 May 2004, 21:26   #3
D-Dan
AMD powered UAE

Quote:
I had this with all the recent WinUAE releases. Set Priority to "below normal" and it will fly again.
Nope - just the same result. It's fine for a few seconds, and then all but grinds to a halt. This is evident even with such innoccuos operations on the Amiga as opening and window, which usually flies, but then I can watch the window being redrawn, slowly, and icon loading takes an age. F12 and close the config and it flies again for a short while.

Quote:
This is mentioned in the "0.8.26 bugs" thread.
Damn - I'd read the thread first, but must have missed that.
Old 21 May 2004, 03:08   #4
D-Dan
AMD powered UAE

Update: - I modified an existing configuration to use '040 P96 screens with some other modifications that I used. This is an identical config in all respects the problematic one, but doesn't suffer the slowdown problem. maybe a bug in "new" configurations ?!?
Old 26 May 2004, 08:41   #5
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

I have the same problem, but weirdly it disapears sometimes too.