English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 09 October 2011, 02:42   #1
Leandro Jardim

Hardfile tried to seek out of bounds

I received the message "hd tried to seek out of bounds" after I reinstalled Workbench 3.1 with PFS when I was writting startup-sequence to hd and did a cold reset to reboot the emulation.

I used PFS with the sparse and dynamic hdf options of WinUAE, may this be the cause of the crash?

PS. No, looks like this is not the cause of the crash... I have tried a second time with another hardfile and it happened again in another moment.

I can do something for you Toni, send some files, maybe?

Funny is that, I was thinking to ask what version of WinUAE have the most secure hardfile routines, to do a fresh install of Workbench without anything to get wrong. An Ebola virus wiped my hardfile some time ago (nothing to do with WinUAE routines, clear).

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 09 October 2011 at 03:29.
Old 09 October 2011, 07:52   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It means filesystem wanted to access block number than largest block number available and WinUAE tries to protect the data by reporting that something very bad has happened.

Did you use normal HDF or RDB HDF? (Custom filesystems and non-RDB HDF can cause problems)

Anyway, include the complete log (as usual), including the out of bounds message.
Old 09 October 2011, 22:12   #3
Leandro Jardim

I used RDB and everything like a real Amiga.

hd: tried to seek out of bounds (E00 >= C14)

PS. Ahaa! Looks like this problem happens when I change the mounted archive that I created to another zip file.

After that crash, always when I start the configuration again, the screen is shown in lowres when "resolution autoswitch" is selected. Weird. This make me think the hardfile is corrupted.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 27 March 2019 at 13:41.
Old 10 October 2011, 08:07   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
I used RDB and everything like a real Amiga.

hd: tried to seek out of bounds (E00 >= C14)

PS. Ahaa! Looks like this problem happens when I change the mounted archive that I created to another zip file.

After that crash, always when I start the configuration again, the screen is shown in lowres when "resolution autoswitch" is selected. Weird. This make me think the hardfile is corrupted.
Are you really attempting to mount a zip file as a hardfile? (instead of as a directory) Or does it really contain at least one .hdf?

It attempted to mount some 3092 (0xC14) byte file as a hardfile. (Probably first file WinUAE found inside the zip)
Old 10 October 2011, 14:08   #5
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Are you really attempting to mount a zip file as a hardfile? (instead of as a directory) Or does it really contain at least one .hdf?

It attempted to mount some 3092 (0xC14) byte file as a hardfile. (Probably first file WinUAE found inside the zip)
I tried to mount it as an archive (at "select archive or plain file"). It is really a zip file (created with 7z).

PS. Zip removed. I am not entirely secure if the fonts contained in it doesnt contains Ebola. Anyway I scanned them before with VirusZ, and it doesnt reported nothing.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 10 October 2011 at 16:43.
Old 10 October 2011, 14:10   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
It is really a zip file (created with 7z). You can see it below.
Yes but it does not contain any hardfile(s). Mount it as a directory harddrive/archive, not as a hardfile.

How do you mount it? (If there is some misdetection somewhere)
Old 10 October 2011, 14:20   #7
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Yes but it does not contain any hardfile(s). Mount it as a directory harddrive/archive, not as a hardfile.

How do you mount it? (If there is some misdetection somewhere)
I tried to mount it as an archive (at "select archive or plain file"). I did it many times, I even thought I had done a mistake and I tried again.
Old 10 October 2011, 18:09   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Does it work if you only add the zip-file without removing or inserting any other drives at the same time? (It looks like you removed one drive and inserted the zip)
Old 10 October 2011, 22:35   #9
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Does it work if you only add the zip-file without removing or inserting any other drives at the same time? (It looks like you removed one drive and inserted the zip)
No, it doesnt work even when I do this way.

You can see the same error message in your tests? You need to add or change the drives and double click on the RDB drive in the hard drive panel to see it. I say this because I dont know if it show up because of a overwrited function pointer or if this is the real behavior of it.

It happens with FFS too.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 10 October 2011 at 23:03.
Old 11 October 2011, 17:27   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I can't duplicate it. It probably needs some specific hardfile and/or directory harddrive combination in some specific order. Or something..