English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 June 2003, 17:55   #41
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Quote:
Originally posted by Oscar Castillo
I'm not sure either, but I thought it was used by some communication and music software available toward the very end.
Still it showed some forward thinking. It wasn't a feature readily available in most platforms of that era.
Well the Mac 660AV and 840AV sold a year later also had DSP's on them, and I have seen addon boards for macs with dsp's also of around the same time frame. Mostly just used for modems and some photoshop acceleration.. kind of a fad that never really took off.
Old 19 June 2003, 22:27   #42
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
Well the Mac 660AV and 840AV sold a year later also had DSP's on them, and I have seen addon boards for macs with dsp's also of around the same time frame. Mostly just used for modems and some photoshop acceleration.. kind of a fad that never really took off.
Yup! It was rare to see it. How Atari came to the conclusion to include a DSP in their systems is kinda baffling when other areas were in need of improvement.
Old 19 June 2003, 22:42   #43
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally posted by Oscar Castillo
Yup! It was rare to see it. How Atari came to the conclusion to include a DSP in their systems is kinda baffling when other areas were in need of improvement.
Its all marketing. If you add a function your competitor is beating you over the head with your just validating that your competitor was right all along. If you add a function that your competitor doesnt have then you have something to beat them over the head with.

Its just a war on spec sheets, some of which matter, and some of which dont.

Remember the Nvidia and 3dfx wars? Nvidia argued that 32 bit color made all the difference in games while 3dfx said 32 bit color at 10fps sucks compared to 16 bit color at 40fps made it playable. Then when both companies had comperable 32bit fast boards 3dfx came out with hardware AA while Nvidia touted the high FPS. People were happy with either card at that point, but there was always a spec sheet battle going on, some of it quite heated.
Old 20 June 2003, 01:27   #44
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

I hung on to my voodoo5 until a few months back when I gave up and brought a new Geforce card, I kept the faith and flew the 3dfx flag proudly, overclocked with bigger fans to help it cope my voodoo 5 battled on but alas it was really crap running command and conquer generals so it had to go! :eek
Old 20 June 2003, 02:22   #45
Unknown_K

I have a voodoo 5500 myself, was a nice unreal tournament card back in its day. It was replaced by a hercules 4500 card, and that was replaced by an ATI 9000 (current game card).

I just buy the best bang for the buck and replace it as needed, I am not brand loyal. My first real 3d card was a orchid Righteous 3d voodoo 1, upgraded to a voodoo 2 from diamond that coexisted with a Nvidia TNT1, then I got voodoo 3 2000 followed by the 5500 and so on. I currently have the voodoo 1 in a p200mmx box that runs late dos early 3d games, the TnT1 is on a p2-400 with dual voodoo2 12mb's in SLI for later day glide games. The 5500 is in a burner machine p3-733 that doesnt get used for gaming, the hercules 4500 is in a spare PC I use once in a year for misc stuff.

Aparently i stuck by 3dfx for quite a while, did some experimenting with nvidia, and finally using an ATI. In the 2d era I used a few matrox cards (millenium1 , mystique 1, and a cheap M3d).
Old 20 June 2003, 18:24   #46
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
I was never much into the VooDoo cards. When they began to integrate 2d/3d then I tried the VooDoo Banshee. It was decent. Tempted to buy them, but I was only interested in 3D rendering and was looking toward the specialized OpenGL cards of the time. Never much into gaming on the PC, just 3D rendering and animation. Afterwards I started with the early Nvidia cards Riva 128 and such and never bought anything else.
Might upgrade soon, but only when I can get a 2 way Athlon64 or Opteron.
Old 21 June 2003, 04:58   #47
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Erm, I think this has turned into a PC 3D hardware thread...
Old 21 June 2003, 05:08   #48
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
Erm, I think this has turned into a PC 3D hardware thread...
So get it back on topic!
Old 21 June 2003, 15:39   #49
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
So get it back on topic!
I spoke my piece several times in this thread already, dude. And links have been posted in this thread of my additional thoughts on the subject. At this point, I am just responding.
Old 21 June 2003, 16:33   #50
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

America is a land that is owened by images, and not much substance, at least for the masses. This is true in respect to all cultures and nations, but we have made an eacting science of it.
So what CBM did was to launch Amiga with some fanfare, with Andy Warhol and some cool commercials.
Good, they followed the path taken by the other big boys.
Then,they let it slide. The marketing was unaggresive, the commercials uninsiring, even though it was the best computer available anywhere.

I remember as a teen playing on a freind's Atari St and saying that the sound was crap compared to another freind's Amiga 500.

I'll never forget this:

"You fuggin shithead, Amiga's a European computer, we godda support Atari it's American."

I thought he was correct, until a freind told me CBM was an American company!

Image man, image.

Last edited by Fred the Fop; 22 June 2003 at 02:30.
Old 21 June 2003, 17:33   #51
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

At some point the corporate parasites in CBM's top brass must've changed that,because I seem to recall part of the never-ending recievership/liquidation saga stemmed around the fact that they were trading out of The Bahamas,(CBM's UK manager David Pleasance pointed it out in an Interview with The One one time).

It seemed like CBM were never the success they were after the Tramiels left-although it was probably corporate spite that saw CBM buy the Amiga out from underneath Atari's noses as a result.
Old 27 June 2003, 08:40   #52
sockpuppet999

Well just to throw my 2 cents in here. From someone that was in the heart of the gaming culture when it was hitting hard in the us. I had a Atari 2600 early on. When I went over to the C64 I just loved it. Plus one of the big things that I liked most was the ability to save to disk. I made sports team, played RPG's and couldnt do any of that on the 2600. When I decided to start looking at the Amiga was when I started to notice the better games coming out were on the amiga. More and more reviews and previews were for the amiga so I started looking into it. It wasnt because of any other advertising because I never saw any. The NES was out but I just didnt seem to have any interest in it. Thats what the little brother was playing. Then I started to notice that the c64 section at most game stores was shrinking and shrinking. Another wonderful thing about the US market is when something starts to go it disapears quickly. So I decided to get an A500 Had to take out a loan at the time and I belive I was 17 at the time so the folks co-signed for it. Got the 500, the 1084s monitor, modem and Earl Weaver Baseball and Ferrari Formula One. Those 2 games alone made me want to get an amiga. Picked up Wayne Gretazky Hockey that night at a babbages and was set for awhile. Soon thought the same thing happened to the amiga market as did the C64, just sooner. Same selection at the game stores then eventually nothing. Had to find a amiga only store and most of the time they priced everything in the $60 range. I always prefered the amiga and thank god for emulation. I eventually bought a 386 pc and the games were garbage compared to the amiga games. Pluse they didnt make it as easy as the 500 to have sound and controller inputs. I wish the amiga would have done better and I supported it here unitl the last store closed. If I remember right the last store just over the river in kentucky closed in the last 90's.

Old 27 June 2003, 08:59   #53
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
America is a land that is owened by images, and not much substance, at least for the masses. This is true in respect to all cultures and nations, but we have made an eacting science of it.
So what CBM did was to launch Amiga with some fanfare, with Andy Warhol and some cool commercials.
Good, they followed the path taken by the other big boys.
Then,they let it slide. The marketing was unaggresive, the commercials uninsiring, even though it was the best computer available anywhere.

I remember as a teen playing on a freind's Atari St and saying that the sound was crap compared to another freind's Amiga 500.

I'll never forget this:

"You fuggin shithead, Amiga's a European computer, we godda support Atari it's American."

I thought he was correct, until a freind told me CBM was an American company!

Image man, image.
Well said Frederic