English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 18 January 2010, 21:58   #1
aperez

Guaging interest in a Zorro II Ethernet Card

Hi folks,

I'd like to inquire within the community as to whether or not there is sufficient interest for a run of ZII-based ethernet cards. Target price is USD $75 (might include shipping to UK/EU) and would like to bring your attention to a thread on Amiga.org where this has been discussed in recent weeks. The thread can be found at http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?p=538783

I have not yet settled on whether I will use the CS8900A which the RR-Net is based upon, or something more modern, with a longer manufacturing time-horizon.

The goal of this particular card is to cost significantly less money than current Amiga NIC's, not necessarily to be screaming fast, and to be modular such that the core component can be re-utilized in a clockport version of the product.

Ideally, I'd like to make between 50-100 boards on the first run, due to economies of scale. Please let me know who is interested.
Old 18 January 2010, 23:40   #2
smoorke

Send a message via MSN to smoorke
i'd be interested in the clockport version.
I don't have a big box amiga so i'm sorry but i can't help you there
Old 19 January 2010, 00:12   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Isn't the supply of second hand boards too high to make this project viable?

A quick search and I see one or two X-Surf, Ariadne, A2065 and Hydra boards being sold (worldwide) every week for around $75-$100.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=160392866163

I am guessing that to use a more modern ethernet chip you'd need a more expensive bridge (cpld/fpga) as all will be PCI as opposed to ISA?

I am guessing that whatever you do you'll need to write your own drivers?
Old 19 January 2010, 00:12   #4
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Knowing nothing about hardware as such, how much harder would it be to make a zorro PCMCIA insterface? Then you could use network cards, wireless cards, amiga SCSI cards etc..
Old 19 January 2010, 01:16   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

They couldn't map to the A1200/A600 PCMCIA address space and so all drivers would need to be re-written or at least patched.
Old 19 January 2010, 15:03   #6
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

I'm interested, really. If it is only a PCMCIA adapter, it's not a problem for me.
Wanna see if can be made a wLAN card somehow...
Old 20 January 2010, 00:22   #7
ajacocks

I'm interested, for my A3000.
Old 20 January 2010, 02:35   #8
Brosol
Brosol

Me too, for my A3000 as well.
Old 20 January 2010, 10:27   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

How price sensitive are you two? Is the 50% premium of the $125 X-Surf 3CC really putting you off?

I only ask because if aperez really does this he needs to know then he can put a hard cap on his BOM.
Old 21 January 2010, 00:57   #10
ajacocks

I'm not price sensitive...just interested in continuing Amiga hardware development. I'd also like to see, someday, a better performing card than the X-surf.
Old 21 January 2010, 01:37   #11
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajacocks View Post
I'd also like to see a better performing card than the X-surf.
??

10Mbits = 1200Kbyte/sec theoretical. In practice the actual speed is going to be lower than this. I'm pretty sure that using MiamiDX and the z2-dp8390.mni driver with an 060 CPU card I got close to that limit. (But it was a long time agao, I may be wrong).

I think you'd have to use a 100Mbit ethernet chipset to go faster but then Zorro II (~28Mbit) & the CPU become the bottleneck. But aperez is not suggesting using a 100Mbit chipset.
Old 22 January 2010, 00:09   #12
ajacocks

Yep, I know. I'm just saying that I'd like to see one, someday. And a Zorro-III card is possible.
Old 22 January 2010, 00:27   #13
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

A Zorro III Deneb USB host + 100Mbit USB->Ethernet bridge is reportedly faster than current dedicated Z2 ethernet solutions.
Old 23 January 2010, 00:30   #14
ajacocks

I actually have a Deneb. However, I've had continual stability issues with that card, and have since put it aside.

So, I'm still looking for a good networking solution.
Old 23 January 2010, 02:33   #15
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Wow. You got an unusual setup? My Deneb has been working flawlessly on AmigaOS3.9 BB2 for over a year as both internal SATA hard drive controller and Ethernet.

Are you on the latest Deneb Firmware v9 and Poseidon v4.3?

Some issues with Deneb's have been traced to a bug in accelerator's firmware. Cyberstorm MK2, MK3 and PPC are some of those reported to be affected.

There is a fix which can disable CPU caches until after the Zorro III space has been marked as non-cacheable.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost...51&postcount=2

But these were not stability issues.
Old 23 January 2010, 03:33   #16
Photon

What Amiga models are we talking? Might there be trouble for those unable or unwilling to go beyond OS3.1 (in the drivers/software department)? And even if they do, it would be interesting which models it's planned to be compatible with.

If I can do text-based browsing, ftp and irc on an A500 with a Zorro II interface (and any drivers, stack, software needed) I'll stop my negative second-guessing and order two, please! I'll get any amount of fastram needed to make it work.
Old 23 January 2010, 10:58   #17
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
text-based browsing, ftp and irc on an A500
Have you tried a serial link to a PC? What is called a SLIP connection.

It should certainly fill your needs until you're ready to buy an ethernet card (aperez' proposed new one or one of the existing ZII ethernet cards)
Old 23 January 2010, 17:59   #18
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
10Mbits = 1200Kbyte/sec theoretical. In practice the actual speed is going to be lower than this. I'm pretty sure that using MiamiDX and the z2-dp8390.mni driver with an 060 CPU card I got close to that limit. (But it was a long time agao, I may be wrong).
Hmm... I would be pretty surprised if it would go near max with Miami, even with mni driver, because Miami is much slower stack than AmiTCP. And I never got faster than 600kB/s with Zorro2 cards (Hydra and Commodore's ones) even with AmiTCP. Normally it stayed around 500kB/s with 060 at 66MHz.

Quote:
I think you'd have to use a 100Mbit ethernet chipset to go faster but then Zorro II (~28Mbit) & the CPU become the bottleneck. But aperez is not suggesting using a 100Mbit chipset.
It seems that CPU speed is the most limiting factor here. Transfer speeds are pretty linear to CPU speed in my experience. With 100Mbps card on PCI you can't get that much faster than with 10Mbps cards when using 060 for example. Here is some speed tests I've made with Miami, MiamiDX, AmiTCP/IP Genesis and MorphOS's NetStack on couple of Amigas. Realtek in A1200/060 is 10/100Mbps card in Mediator PCI-busboard.
Old 25 January 2010, 06:29   #19
ajacocks

Quote:
Wow. You got an unusual setup? My Deneb has been working flawlessly on AmigaOS3.9 BB2 for over a year as both internal SATA hard drive controller and Ethernet.

Are you on the latest Deneb Firmware v9 and Poseidon v4.3?

Some issues with Deneb's have been traced to a bug in accelerator's firmware. Cyberstorm MK2, MK3 and PPC are some of those reported to be affected.

There is a fix which can disable CPU caches until after the Zorro III space has been marked as non-cacheable.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost...51&postcount=2

But these were not stability issues.
Well, I have a stock A3000, with 4mb of fast, and 2mb of chip, and running the most recent firmware, as of March 2009, the machine was unstable, just mounting USB storage (thumbdrives), running OS 3.1. I played with TCP/IP, using AmiTCP, and with Miami, and that, too was unstable, and would eventually cause the machine to hang.

The machine is perfectly stable, otherwise.

Thanks!
Old 27 January 2010, 21:00   #20
aperez

Quote:
A Zorro III Deneb USB host + 100Mbit USB->Ethernet bridge is reportedly faster than current dedicated Z2 ethernet solutions.
Yes, and therefore it's not something I want to compete with. I think there *is* room for a new ethernet device, one which is designed from the beginning to support all Amiga models (eventually). As you've stated, the BOM costs are of extreme importance for this project.