English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 08 November 2016, 11:12   #21
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
That looks awesome! Is that your blog Sandruzzo?
Is from the Guy who is helping me with gfx
Old 08 November 2016, 11:15   #22
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandruzzo View Post
Is from the Guy who is helping me with gfx
Ok, he's doing the gfx, your the codemasterTM! The gfx look great, hope it all comes together, how far is progress?, i guess Rygar is taking most of your time atm?
Old 08 November 2016, 11:20   #23
sandruzzo

Quote:
Ok, he's doing the gfx, your the codemasterTM! The gfx look great, hope it all comes together, how far is progress?, i guess Rygar is taking most of your time atm?
Yes Rygar it taking a lot. Now for this game, we have scrolling, enemy collision, Player motions, bullets collisions with background and enemies, per pixel.
Old 08 November 2016, 12:27   #24
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandruzzo View Post
Yes Rygar it taking a lot. Now for this game, we have scrolling, enemy collision, Player motions, bullets collisions with background and enemies, per pixel.
Sounds good! Look forward seeing it in motion!
Old 08 November 2016, 12:37   #25
nobody

From what I know the A500 uses a dual play field by split the 6 available bitplanes to 3 and 3 (8 and 7 plus transparent colors). Is by any chance splitting this to 4 bitplanes (16 colors) and 2 (4 colors)? That would be much more convenient than 8+7 colors
Old 08 November 2016, 12:58   #26
sandruzzo

Quote:
Sounds good! Look forward seeing it in motion!
We're doing our best. It will require a1200 + 2mb fast ram so far
Old 08 November 2016, 13:07   #27
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
From what I know the A500 uses a dual play field by split the 6 available bitplanes to 3 and 3 (8 and 7 plus transparent colors). Is by any chance splitting this to 4 bitplanes (16 colors) and 2 (4 colors)? That would be much more convenient than 8+7 colors
That's not possible. 6 bitplanes is either dual playfield 3+3 or EHB/HAM
Old 08 November 2016, 13:17   #28
Amigajay

Hey Dan are you still working on your Amiga SEU?, did you get the help you were after?

@Sandruzzo - your coding skills can get that down to a stock machine
Old 08 November 2016, 14:24   #29
Master484

Quote:
What about this for Aga? Working on it?

http://amigaonex.blogspot.it/2016/09...f-star_30.html
OMG, that game looks fantastic. Good to see that someone is already making a "Xenon 2 in steroids". The gfx look great, almost like a Neo Geo game.

---

Also I just found out that Xenon 2 was also released on the 8-bit Sega Master System:

[ Show youtube player ]

Looks pretty good considering the limitations of the machine, and they even added some sideways scrolling.
Old 08 November 2016, 14:38   #30
s2325
Zone Friend

It's even on GameBoy but I can't find any good detail:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 November 2016, 17:06   #31
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Proxima 3 is incredibly promising. I love the the graphics, it looks like coin-op machines ones
Old 08 November 2016, 17:37   #32
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master484 View Post
In some other threads there have been discussions on how to do a "bullet hell" shooter on Amiga; and maybe the answer is "Xenon 2 on steroids": take the design of Xenon 2, but make player with sprites, hardware scroll at least one of the background layers so that more blitting power is saved for the game objects, and update everything in the display only every 3rd frame, except the Player sprite which can move at 50 fps. I think most arcade coin-op shooters should be possible on the Amiga with this design.
Effectively making the Amiga the laughing stock of the entire gaming world.
Old 08 November 2016, 18:21   #33
spiff
Oh noes!

Or you could just draw objects until you get slowdowns and then call it a feature.

All the Cave fanboys go ballistic when you say otherwise.
Old 08 November 2016, 22:21   #34
Master484

Quote:
Effectively making the Amiga the laughing stock of the entire gaming world.
Well, the gaming world can laugh freely at our frame rates, we simply shouldn't care.

Many great Amiga shooters already use the "Player at 50 fps + everything else at 25 fps" trick, including games like Battle Squadron and Agony. And even if they used 17 fps instead of 25 fps, I don't think it would make much difference to overall game quality.

The difference between every second frame (25 fps) and every third frame (17 fps) is interesting. I didn't realize that Xenon 2 was running at 17 fps before I checked it with the emulator; I thought it was 25 fps, just like Frenetic and Banshee.

I have now realized that it's much harder to notice the difference between 25 fps and 17 fps, than it is to notice the difference between 50 fps and 25 fps. Because when we halve the 50 fps, the frame amount per second drops by 25. But when we then go one step below this, dividing 50 with 3 to get 17 fps, this next drop from 25 fps to 17 fps is just 8 frames.

So maybe we shouldn't be so shy about going 17 fps, if the game really needs it, and especially if it's already running at 25 fps. It'll look OK as long as the scroll and the player move at 50 fps. Even Blood Money looks and plays OK with it's 17 fps BOBs and bullets, because the player's ship moves at 50 fps.

Although surely I bet that the Cave fanboys are laughing at Blood Money and Xenon, but they don't understand the Amiga. The Blitter has unlimited drawing power, it just needs enough frames to draw all that stuff. And if DoDonPachi was converted to Amiga, and it needed 17 fps, then that's the way to go, we just put a "17 FPS" warning sticker to the game box.
Old 09 November 2016, 00:50   #35
invent
pixels

Sandruzzo and I are working together on Proxima 3
He is a doing a great job on Rygar and in some ways I don't want to distract him further to slow down its progress.

The tileset is flippable at the moment incase we need to reduce graphics,
6 levels planned.

Work on the game has slowed down due to both parents in hospital recently (stroke/hip replacements - fun stuff).

P.S. Thanks to everyone for the insight into X2, always very interesting.
Old 09 November 2016, 00:56   #36
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master484 View Post
Although surely I bet that the Cave fanboys are laughing at Blood Money and Xenon, but they don't understand the Amiga. The Blitter has unlimited drawing power, it just needs enough frames to draw all that stuff.
In that case, the ZX80 also has unlimited drawing power.
Old 09 November 2016, 02:22   #37
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post
He is a doing a great job on Rygar and in some ways I don't want to distract him further to slow down its progress.

6 levels planned.

Work on the game has slowed down due to both parents in hospital recently (stroke/hip replacements - fun stuff).

Welcome and thanks a lot for such beautiful assets !
Old 09 November 2016, 03:38   #38
AndNN

Those graphics look awesome

If this is only for the A1200 then it's actually worth considering sprite multiplexing, especially with the new sprite width modes.

I remember doing a sprite multiplexer on the 1200 and more or less filling the whole screen with moving sprite objects. If you attach the sprites for added colour all you have to do is make sure there are no-more than 4 on a line. If there is then just use a BOB. So long as you don't mind the sprites been 15 colours with transparency then this method allows bullet hell shooters to run at 50fps. Vertical shooters are ideal for sprite multiplexing.

From what I remember of doing this - over 20 years ago - the Copper makes multiplexing easy to handle.
Old 09 November 2016, 09:51   #39
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndNN View Post
Those graphics look awesome

If this is only for the A1200 then it's actually worth considering sprite multiplexing, especially with the new sprite width modes.

I remember doing a sprite multiplexer on the 1200 and more or less filling the whole screen with moving sprite objects. If you attach the sprites for added colour all you have to do is make sure there are no-more than 4 on a line. If there is then just use a BOB. So long as you don't mind the sprites been 15 colours with transparency then this method allows bullet hell shooters to run at 50fps. Vertical shooters are ideal for sprite multiplexing.

From what I remember of doing this - over 20 years ago - the Copper makes multiplexing easy to handle.
We'll do our best to push Aga to his limits.
Old 09 November 2016, 09:53   #40
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post

6 levels planned.

Mate, glad to have here. We'll push aga as much as we can. You're doing so great job, that i can't belive it. Keep pushing!