English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 17 February 2016, 00:02   #1
michaljarz

HippoPlayer very slow down system when playing module

(sorry for my english)

When I run HippoPlayer and play module my system is slow down very much (when I move Workbench windows everything very slowly draws). It's only when AHI in Hippo prefs is off (play with AHI - ok) and workbench screen resolution is set to uaegfx.
I check earlier WinUAE versions. To version 2.4.2 beta 5 everything is OK , but from 2.42.b6 (3.3.0b6 2016.02.16 also) , unfortunately not.
Old 17 February 2016, 10:56   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Attach config and logs: load your config, Select Paths panel, tick full logging check box, boot normally, start "slow" sound playback, wait about 10 seconds, enter GUI, click save all. Attach the file.

Does on screen led CPU% go over 100% when sound starts?
Old 17 February 2016, 15:47   #3
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Also, if you have UAESound as your AHI driver it will appear to have no CPU load at all since this driver passes mixing control to Windows out of the emulator.
Old 17 February 2016, 23:25   #4
michaljarz

Logs attached.
HippoPlayer slown down system (sound played ok but windows slowly redraws) only, when I set screenmode to uaegfx (it's ok when PAL) and set PT replayer to PS3M -> 14bit-bit stereo. Mixing rate 28.0kHz.

CPU loads 70-80%, but in last working version (2.4.2b5) CPU loads 100% and everything OK (windows opened, moved fast etc...).
Attached Files
File Type: zip winuae_debug_3.3.0.zip (14.1 KB, 130 views)
Old 18 February 2016, 13:16   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It may be correct behavior. Log shows Picasso96 changing "hidden" custom screen mode to NTSC which will change playback speed if player is vsync based.

Old WinUAE versions ignored "hidden" mode changes but I don't remember when it was implemented.

You can test it by temporarily setting your chipset type to OCS (it does not support PAL/NTSC software control).
Old 18 February 2016, 21:29   #6
mark_k

HippoPlayer does have an option to choose between vblank and CIA timing, but the docs say the PS3M player doesn't use that.

From the 2.4.2b6 changelog the only two entries which look like they might be relevant are:
- Fullscreen RTG mode refresh rate uses chipset mode refresh rate or rate directly set in Expansions panel. Automatically selects lower available refresh rate if selected rate is unsupported.
- Added option to enable/disable RTG vblank interrupt emulation. Previously it was automatically enabled if Refresh rate option wasn't set to disabled. Moved to separate GUI option because of above new feature and because some games don't like RTG board generated interrupts.

Maybe experiment with enabling/disabling the hardware vertical blank interrupt option (RTG board settings page), and change the RTG refresh rate to different settings (Chipset, Default, 50, etc.)???
Old 21 February 2016, 20:34   #7
michaljarz

OK, I found. Selecting "Hardware vertical blank interrupt" improves the speed.

I noticed that when I turn on this option, I had to make a "restart" (on the fly does not work, reset also).

Thanks