English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 May 2014, 12:58   #1
Galder
Amiga is my Goddess

usb (rs232) to amiga serial cable - no COM selection in amiga explorer

Hi all, I have connected my PC with my amiga 500 plus through a usb extender cable (rs232 DB9) to serial DB25 for the amiga (null modem cable). My windows 7 installed drivers for the cable normally but when i go to the properties of amiga explorer to select COM there is only TCP/IP. Therefore I cannot run the Setup. It tells me that i need to select COM in the properties. The cable is connected and both the Amiga and the PC are on and waiting. Do you have any ideas what the problem might be?

update: I've tried to set the PC's and the Amiga's serial baud rates both to 19200 but there is still no selection for 'serial' in the properties of amiga explorer. I have also tried all of the PC's usb ports (each one of them gives a different com port i.e. COM 15) but none seems to work.

Last edited by Galder; 03 May 2014 at 17:08.
Old 03 May 2014, 17:02   #2
Shadowfire

Check Device manager, under "Ports (COM & LPT)" and see if there is a COM port listed. It's likely that the driver for your USB-to-serial adapter isn't properly installed if you don't see a COM port there. (Press WINDOWS+R, type "devmgmt.msc" and press enter)
Old 03 May 2014, 17:07   #3
Galder
Amiga is my Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfire View Post
Check Device manager, under "Ports (COM & LPT)" and see if there is a COM port listed. It's likely that the driver for your USB-to-serial adapter isn't properly installed if you don't see a COM port there. (Press WINDOWS+R, type "devmgmt.msc" and press enter)
Hi ShadowFire. There is a COM port there, the problem is that there is no serial option in the Amiga explorer's properties window. In connection type, the type is only TCP/IP.

Perhaps Amiga explorer does not 'see' serial because the COM ports that the USBs get are larger than 11? I have 4 usbs and they give COM 12, 13, 14, and 15 respectively. If I would manually assign a low COM port number perhaps it would work???

Last edited by Galder; 03 May 2014 at 17:20.
Old 03 May 2014, 18:03   #4
Galder
Amiga is my Goddess

Update: When I set the usb serial as COM 1 or COM 2 the amiga explorer 'sees' the serial connection. I progress normally with the setup until it asks me to open a shell window and type in "type SER: to RAM:setup" and then press enter. I do that, I click ok in the window of the amiga explorer and i get error message "unspecified error". Any ideas please anyone?
Old 04 May 2014, 15:14   #5
Galder
Amiga is my Goddess

Last update and solution: one of the two edges of my cable were problematic. After many attempts I tried to reverse it and connect it again (because my cable has 2 females DB 9 and 25 on each side) and it finally worked!!!! I have my first adf game on a disk now it is time to figure out how to run adf files from my hdd. Many thanks to all of you guys.
Old 04 May 2014, 17:14   #6
ajk

You don't "run" an .adf, they are disk images, sort of like an .iso is an image of a CD or DVD. You need to write them on floppies (or mount them virtually in Workbench) as per your other thread