English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 13 March 2020, 19:47   #61
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
I think the warez side of things was the least of the worries for law enforcement... the main issue was with the illegal use of stolen AT&T calling cards that were used by European traders to call the US based BBS's .. as well as other phone "hacking" methods
Im amazed more of us were not caught in all honesty, boxing and cards, never much worried about the boxing, but the cards......I was zero careful with those!!!
Old 13 March 2020, 20:59   #62
WayneK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Im amazed more of us were not caught in all honesty, boxing and cards, never much worried about the boxing, but the cards......I was zero careful with those!!!

Imagine my surprise when I was busted, and presented during police interview with an extremely long list of phonecalls I had allegedly made via AT&T :P
They also wanted to know why most of them were placed using a toll-free number "reserved for US Military oersonnel"... just my luck!
Old 13 March 2020, 21:57   #63
Mick

I think AmigaHope covered what I was about to say.

Piracy wasn't even on law enforcements radar in those days, it was considered a victimless crime until big business told everyone to believe otherwise.

The police used to serve the people, now they just do what they're told by a government that wants to involve itself everywhere and corporate lobbyists.
Old 13 March 2020, 22:28   #64
Retro1234
Boo

Thanks for the reply on PBXing very interesting.
Old 13 March 2020, 22:56   #65
sneeker

Quote:
Wierdly, I vaugely hearing remember an aquaintance of mine's bbs number was actually blocked by at&t for the amount of people using calling cards to connect to it, This was probably around 1995/96 working out when we all jumped to pc's.
Old 13 March 2020, 23:00   #66
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeker View Post
Wierdly, I vaugely hearing remember an aquaintance of mine's bbs number was actually blocked by at&t for the amount of people using calling cards to connect to it, This was probably around 1995/96 working out when we all jumped to pc's.
Yeah quite likely, and with downloads being 4-10 Times bigger, so poor sods AT&T calling card was taking a proper beating lol
Old 14 March 2020, 02:00   #67
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
Why not? Isn't it a bit hypocritical to rag on software/hardware developers for doing closed source development but not hold game makers up to the same standards?
Possibly. But having closed source things such as accelerators, drivers, and operating systems basically puts a brick wall in the progress of the Amiga.
Old 14 March 2020, 02:10   #68
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneK View Post
PBX (Private Branch eXchange) was a toll-free (0800 in the UK) number that would end up at a dial-tone, where if you knew the s3kr3t k0d3 (usually a 4-6 digit 'PIN') you could then make an on-going call that would be billed to the owner of the toll-free number. They existed for travelling employees (sales reps, etc) to bill their calls to their employer - but many enterprising young phone phreaks also made use of them :P
Not quite. A PBX is literally a private telephone system (cables/switching equipment/etc.) where all the phones are connected to this privately-owned network instead of directly to the public phone system. If you've ever been in a hospital or large company office the phones were probably on a PBX. This is easier and cheaper than paying for hundreds of phone lines from the local phone company. The PBX would then have a smaller number of lines connecting to the public phone system -- smaller systems would have fixed lines with some strictly for inbound and some reserved for outbound, while larger systems would actually connect directly to the trunk so the circuits could be used dynamically.

Sometimes, like you mentioned, there'd be an inbound line to make billing on business calls easy (the company usually had a bulk discount too). Most PBX abuse I saw though was by getting in via another inbound line and abusing the voice mail system's ability to dial other extensions to find an internal dialout (or even dialout mistakenly allowed globally from the voice mail interface). No code needed.

Even better was if you could find the management interface for the PBX and somebody had stupidly left it on a default/easy password (you'd check the default extensions and look for a carrier tone, or even a voice interface) and then set up your own dialout.

Other people would abuse the call forwarding feature on individual extensions that let you do dialout that way -- this was often possible just using the voice mail interface. You'd just forward the extension to wherever you wanted to call.

Quote:
AT+T cards were basically the same, you called a toll-free number and billed the call to 'your' calling card, no matter where you were in the world. Back in the day these were 'hacked' (social-engineered) from poor unsuspecting Americans, but in later years people on the scene created their own cards (it just required social security number + other info, all available on credit databases with little or no security) and/or hacked into places that held databases of cards...
A surefire way to do this was to find a payphone in an area where it was mostly used by people traveling (major highway gas stations, national parks, etc.), splice into the line, and hook up a recorder with a timer that only recorded the first minute or so of a call. Never did this myself but it was what a lot of people who supplied cards did because it was easier and safer than social engineering.

This was the least clever way to call as skill-wise it was basically the same as credit card fraud.

Quote:
Then there was blue-boxing - I recommend reading "Exploding the phone" by Phil Lapsley, although it's very US-focused it's basically the same story as the rest of the world
I was too young to do much blue boxing but if you traveled the U.S. you could find rural telephone exchanges where it still worked. It was mostly just for fun exploring. You could also go from a fully digital connection that didn't mute your tones and then dial into 3rd world African countries and then bluebox around their network. That was fun. Completely impractical for making calls, but neat to help understand the structure of the network.

What was more fun was to directly use weaknesses in fly-by-night long distance providers (COCOT companies often had the worst security because they trusted their phones to dial in). People were using that technique all the way to the very beginning of the 2000s.

I miss the fun of exploring stuff but I'm glad those days are dead and you can now happily exchange voice/data across the world at unmetered rates. The internet changed everything, and it almost didn't happen. The big telecom companies thought they could gouge long distance rates forever, and their plans for data (their preferred packet switched networks like Telenet/Tymnet/Datapac) worked the same way. Fortunately the internet took off so fast and so completely that they had to get on board with it.

Also I'm not a teenager anymore and I prefer that my technical work is legal and now makes me money instead of putting me at risk. xD
Old 18 March 2020, 15:00   #69
cosmiq

A while ago I was checking some C64 files when I found this cracktro that stated the exact street + house nr where my sister lives in.
I'm not kidding when I say that I almost shat my pants... that's like a one in a million chance. There was also this telephone number mentioned, which had the exact old prefix and all that..
I mean, what are the chances
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flrosihof.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	66507  
Old 18 March 2020, 15:02   #70
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmiq View Post
A while ago I was checking some C64 files when I found this cracktro that stated the exact street + house nr where my sister lives in.

The world is small.
Old Yesterday, 13:42   #71
jamielemon
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodous View Post
It depends available
The only money that changed hands when I was active on BBS's was the first time my phone bill came, but there were various tricks at the time to get around that which were quickly was on.
Can you explain more about the tricks?
I am fascinated by the early days of BBS. I know about the"phreaking" techniques that were used to get toll-free access to services in the very old days, but would have thought that had been mostly patched up by the later Amiga-era BBS days.
Old Yesterday, 20:30   #72
jarre

Quote:
We where not caught with bbs or calling cards, but got a big raid on the first day of your two days copy party in Nistelrode, Titus software set this up with the French and Dutch police. It was BIG news in the amiga scène back then, as far as i know it was the first copy party which was raid by police.....
Old Yesterday, 20:53   #73
Crown
Demoscener

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarre View Post
We where not caught with bbs or calling cards, but got a big raid on the first day of your two days copy party in Nistelrode, Titus software set this up with the French and Dutch police. It was BIG news in the amiga scène back then, as far as i know it was the first copy party which was raid by police.....
Oh yes I remember hearin about this. The APP was very active by then https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agence...s_programmeswi
Old Yesterday, 22:25   #74
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneK View Post
Imagine my surprise when I was busted, and presented during police interview with an extremely long list of phonecalls I had allegedly made via AT&T :P
They also wanted to know why most of them were placed using a toll-free number "reserved for US Military oersonnel"... just my luck!
Did they take your Amiga hardware?
Old Yesterday, 22:30   #75
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamielemon View Post
Can you explain more about the tricks?
I am fascinated by the early days of BBS. I know about the"phreaking" techniques that were used to get toll-free access to services in the very old days, but would have thought that had been mostly patched up by the later Amiga-era BBS days.
If you read some of the old H/P (Hack Phreak) Zines on textfiles.com some of them would talk about dialouts. You would connect to the local .x25 network in your country and then get a modem dial out overseas in that country then connect to the local bbs/computer.

In New Zealand they used to have tie lines in between the major cities for the big businesses to keep the calls down. You would dial a local number in Christchurch and you would be given a dialtone to ring local numbers in either Auckland, Wellington, Hamilton.

I assume they would have something like that in the .uk where if you dialed a local number in London you would get a dialtone in Belfast, Cardiff, Birmingham, Liverpool, Glasgow, Edinburgh
Old Yesterday, 22:46   #76
jarre

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
Did they take your Amiga hardware?
Some hardware and disk where held and all vistors have to leave to one door, and the police and the lawyer from Titus searched all the diskboxes and bags looking for Titus titels. See also the article....

Bamiga Sector 1 Copyparty 1989 was held in Nistelrode, Holland by Switch/Bamiga Sector 1. The party was promoted a lot in BS1 cracktros, see a.o. 45er Menumaker for information. Cracker Journal 13 (july 1989) reported "18 and 19 november 1989 Bamiga Sector One Copy Party Holland Organized by Switch.", and Cracker Journal 16 (october 1989) followed up with "Bamiga Sector One Copy Party on 18.11.89 also in Holland".

There were two problems at this party; one thing was that the fuses seemed to be blowing constantly, and the other was that it was raided by the police! In a joint venture with Dutch and French police (working with software house Titus) they raided the party with six police cars, and 100's of disks were confiscated. Many destroyed their disks, there was total panic. In the end, everybody had to be registered by the police before leaving, and disks, hardware and adress books were confiscated.

Last edited by jarre; Yesterday at 22:51.