English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 March 2020, 13:21   #41
roondar

If you do play Evil's Doom be sure to either use an emulator or some for of flicker fixing as it runs in interlace mode and I still remember the headache I got from it back in the day...

Do like that game a lot though, it's so atmospheric. Which is why I persisted even with the headache. I should look back into it. Would probably work really well in WinUAE.
Old 22 March 2020, 06:03   #42
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
UFO - Enemy Unknown.
I concur. Microprose's U.F.O. / X-Com ~ Enemy Unknown (2012 remake by Firaxis Games have received mixed reviews) is a great game, which can be played on the PS1...
or, leaving Amiga territory, one could opt for its follow up X-Com - Terror from the Deep, which can also be played on the PS1...
Not so hard to get into if you get the hang of it... Here is a link for what seems to be a legit strategy guide for both games.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 22 March 2020 at 09:45.
Old 22 March 2020, 10:25   #43
robben74

I would say Civilization. That game is infinitely replayable imho.
Old 22 March 2020, 12:17   #44
nobody

Zelda Breath of the wild if you have a WiiU/Switch or a powerful PC to emulate WiiU. Plus if you really have that much free time, some of us have kids that don't leave us much spare time.
Old 22 March 2020, 16:44   #45
McTrinsic

For PC: Chains of Satinav & Memoria - they belong together.
I was quite surprised by the depth of the storytelling.
Old 22 March 2020, 17:16   #46
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
I concur. Microprose's U.F.O. / X-Com ~ Enemy Unknown (2012 remake by Firaxis Games have received mixed reviews) is a great game, which can be played on the PS1...
or, leaving Amiga territory, one could opt for its follow up X-Com - Terror from the Deep, which can also be played on the PS1...
Not so hard to get into if you get the hang of it... Here is a link for what seems to be a legit strategy guide for both games.
Both original X-Com and TFTD are much better played using OpenXcom.

Covered nicely on one of sites form my signature - DOS Gamer.
Old 23 March 2020, 20:46   #47
sneeker

Been Plating F17 Challange today for a few hours, never played it in the past and found myself quite enjoying it. Been spending the last couple of days setting up a 32gb cf card for my 1200 so been adding things and testing then, got shapeshifter running and played price of persia 2, and also got networking up and running but havent really found a use for it yet as its quicker to stick stuff on a cf card and copy it acorss.
Old 25 March 2020, 11:19   #48
sparhawk

I started to play "Head over Heels" on Amiga. It's a port from Spectrum with improved graphics, also available on C64. There is also a PC port available, with more up to date graphics, but in my opinion, I prefer the older versions, because they have more charm. The PC looks IMO to "modern" for my taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
On a slightly different note I don't know how you lot are getting so much "free" time. I for one have to work from home plus I've got 2 kids to home school. I think I'll actually have less time to play games.
For me it's basically the same as ever. I've been working a lot of homeoffice the last years, so it's not much different then before.
Old 25 March 2020, 17:35   #49
macce2
Retro maniac

On the Amiga, if you generally like RPGs, especially " classical" ones, Ultima VI is worth a look.
I' d like to recommend Bloodnet ( preferably Aga version), if the somewhat dark and dystopian atmosphere of the game isn' t too much for you right now.
Even if the control system/ interface isn' t perfect, neither is the music; this game is quite huge and graphically good, with very intense and interesting world to discover. There is a huge amount of characters you' ll meet and the storyline is very addictive and complicated ( in a good way, imho) with many clever little things and references.
Even the manual character creation at the start of the game is quite fun.
The downsides of Bloodnet ( aga): The control system could be better. The "Cyberspace" part of the game could have been made better / more varied. Possible problems with actual game data/ files, if the WHDload version doesn t work for you ( does not on my A4000; smells like it is optimized for A1200 ..?!); you may need original version of the game/ files.
And your English must be quite good; a good dictionary recommended..

Last edited by macce2; 25 March 2020 at 17:58.
Old Yesterday, 10:43   #50
Gordon
Settler

Tried so many games and couldn’t get into any of these deep games. I think it’s becuase I have a short attention span. I have always been into sports games and arcade games, something that I can pick up and play for 15 mins. So it was always going to be hard for me to enjoy the kind of games I could never get into before, even if I do have the time now. But I have found one game I am loving that I have just rediscovered...Pro Tennis Tour 2.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Old Yesterday, 11:34   #51
Codetsu

my list of games to play

Flashback:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashb...992_video_game)
Another World:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_World_(video_game)
Laser Squad:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_Squad
Space Rogue:
https://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/space-rogue
Stardust:
[ Show youtube player ]
Warhead:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhead_(video_game)
Tower of Babel:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_...989_video_game)