English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 15 March 2020, 14:44   #1
Mathesar

custom SCSI2SD for A3000

I have designed a custom version of the SCSI2SD V4 board.
It will be released under GPL as per the original license.

I was struggling to exchange files between my PC and my A3000. I have a network card but Samba doesn't work anymore since Win7 and FTP was unstable for me. So, I decided I needed a SCSI2SD so I can exchange SD cards. However, the standard V4 and V5(.1) boards are physically not designed with the a3000 in mind.

So, I converted the schematics of V4 into KiCad and designed a new board layout. The board is designed with the A3000 floppy bay in mind so that the SD card sticks out right in the middle of the floppy opening. I am now working on a plastic cover that will make everything look nice based on Henryk's design: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3576906
I have also modified the hardware a bit; The SD-card now has a buffer capacitor so it has enough time to finish flash write operations in case of power failure and the programming connector has been changed to Cypress's own programmer pinout.

So far it works like a charm, configuring the drive as removable and using this tool: http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/AutoMounter I can insert and remove different SD-cards on the fly with the Amiga correctly mounting and unmounting them.

I am now considering to modify the firmware a bit further. I already added the bootloader of the 5.1 board such that the SCSI2SD starts as fast as possible but I also want to make the drive geometry follow the SD-card instead of having it configured through the utility. This way you can do without the utility altogether and use the maximum capacity of the SD-card.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200315_132307 (2).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	684.9 KB
ID:	66474
Old 15 March 2020, 14:52   #2
seb132
French in Australia

Send a message via MSN to seb132 Send a message via Yahoo to seb132
I love that project! Fantastic work, mate!
So great now that I have found an A3000!
Question: since there are 2x newer versions of this board (5 and 6), why choosing rev 4?
It is a totally noob question as I have no idea what the last 2 revisions improve or make it more complicated with Amigas...
I’m getting interested now because I have A4000T and A3000 and better use SCSI than slow IDE I guess...
Old 15 March 2020, 15:39   #3
Mathesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb132 View Post
I love that project! Fantastic work, mate!
So great now that I have found an A3000!
Question: since there are 2x newer versions of this board (5 and 6), why choosing rev 4?
It is a totally noob question as I have no idea what the last 2 revisions improve or make it more complicated with Amigas...
I’m getting interested now because I have A4000T and A3000 and better use SCSI than slow IDE I guess...

V4, V5 and V5.1 all use the same basic design. V4 is the basic design and the only one that is open source hence this is why I used it. V5 has a different terminator design that can be activated through the utility and uses less power (I guess). V5.1 adds a jumper for the bootloader. V6 is a complete redesign and is much faster.
V4 does about 1.1MB/s on my machine. Not very fast (my Quantum Atlas IV does abut 3.5MB/s) but better than floppies. BTW, the terminator design on the V5/V5.1 boards is no rocket science an I could include it to make a sort of V4.1-Amiga Edition
Old 24 March 2020, 01:50   #4
DarrenHD

Nice work!! I just ordered a V6 for my A3000, and there is a 3D printed front for it on eBay. Not sure I will get that or just mount mine in the back where the HD normally goes.
Old 24 March 2020, 14:29   #5
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post
I have designed a custom version of the SCSI2SD V4 board.
It will be released under GPL as per the original license.

I was struggling to exchange files between my PC and my A3000. I have a network card but Samba doesn't work anymore since Win7 and FTP was unstable for me. So, I decided I needed a SCSI2SD so I can exchange SD cards. However, the standard V4 and V5(.1) boards are physically not designed with the a3000 in mind.

So, I converted the schematics of V4 into KiCad and designed a new board layout. The board is designed with the A3000 floppy bay in mind so that the SD card sticks out right in the middle of the floppy opening. I am now working on a plastic cover that will make everything look nice based on Henryk's design: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3576906
I have also modified the hardware a bit; The SD-card now has a buffer capacitor so it has enough time to finish flash write operations in case of power failure and the programming connector has been changed to Cypress's own programmer pinout.

So far it works like a charm, configuring the drive as removable and using this tool: http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/AutoMounter I can insert and remove different SD-cards on the fly with the Amiga correctly mounting and unmounting them.

I am now considering to modify the firmware a bit further. I already added the bootloader of the 5.1 board such that the SCSI2SD starts as fast as possible but I also want to make the drive geometry follow the SD-card instead of having it configured through the utility. This way you can do without the utility altogether and use the maximum capacity of the SD-card.

Attachment 66474
I’d love to have one for my A3000 do you sell them?