English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 March 2020, 23:35   #1
utukku

Elbox Mediator board & Spider USB problems

Looking for a bit of help with an A4000 040 with a recently fitted Mediator board.

I have fitted the spider usb board as well as a Radeon 9200 128mb card. Done all the installation ( and finally got nearly everything working ) just 2 little niggles.

Installed Trident, added the usbhardware commands & saved in Trident etc and everything in trident says its fine. So, when I put in a usb stick, I get a popup saying its been detected, but it doesn't show up on the WB or in dopus? does it have to be formatted in a special way? or limited in size?

Also, I have got the Radeon installled and working to a point. I got it set at 800x600 8bit. But if I got up any further resolutions, the test works fine, but after I save the new screenmode, and reboot, the screen just stay's black, as if it's not outputting the new mode.

Cheers

Utukku
Old 23 March 2020, 03:44   #2
grelbfarlk

Is your USB stick formatted FAT? Just like connecting a CompactFlash card, Hard Drive or CDROM the Amiga has to support the filesystem on the drive.
Have you tried connecting a USB mouse or keyboard to see if they work ok?
Have you tested these screenmodes in P96Mode to make sure they are correct for your monitor?
Old 23 March 2020, 17:00   #3
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Is your USB stick formatted FAT? Just like connecting a CompactFlash card, Hard Drive or CDROM the Amiga has to support the filesystem on the drive.
Have you tried connecting a USB mouse or keyboard to see if they work ok?
Have you tested these screenmodes in P96Mode to make sure they are correct for your monitor?
I have all sorts of problems with my spider in my A4000 with CS MK2. device stalls, errors on writing (to usb disks). it just doesn't work reliably. One time I copied 600mb of a 700mb file and it worked until 600mb then errored out. Also poseidon has trouble saving envarc: psdstackloader, even if I delete it and it re-creates. it says failed to write envarc: psdstackloader. This is under os 3.1.4.
Old 24 March 2020, 18:47   #4
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

@ utukku

Make a copy of HD Toolbox.

Get the Icon Information box open & edit the Line saying scsi.device to the "DEVICE_NAME".device for the USB Device & Save.

Double click the Copy of HDToolbox & now you should see any USB Storage device plugged in.

From here you can Partition the USB Stick & give it a file system before you Format. - Ejecting the USB Device & re-inserting it should show you the Un-formatted Partitions you created.

Good luck kiddo.

RE: your Graphics issue, you'll need a Utility called ModePro or such to promote your desktop to the Mediators Radeon card. - Iirc, (it's been a while....) By default, the Miggy RGB will always be used & 800 x 800 is a no go.

Last edited by Kin Hell; 24 March 2020 at 18:54.
Old 25 March 2020, 16:41   #5
source
Zone Friend

To get it to read fat formatted drives stick or HD. Install fat95 form aminet. I also believe there is a setting in trident which file format to try when you install different devices
Old 28 March 2020, 00:48   #6
utukku

Thanks for all the replies, I have now got my head around the "Picasso96" software, and have the screenmodes working really nice.

I have also got the spider USB working, it was as simple as installing FAT95.
Old 04 August 2022, 01:54   #7
back2skooldaze

@Kin Hell Please can you help? Ive got my spider usb card all setup with mediator in my A1200. Ive installed poisden and my usb stick is detected and detects everytime on booting the amiga. Now im trying to use the usb stick as storage. Ive installed FAT95 Ive tried to follow what you said about copying the HD toolbox and renaming the SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=scsi.device to SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=usb.device but on double clicking theres nothing detected to partition? Its empty?
Have i renamed this correct? Also when copying the original HD toolbox in Tools i clicked once then used Copy to make a duplicate?

Also in my DEVSosDrivers should there be something for the usb stick? In Fat95 theres MS0 and MS1 in both icon information its only got ACTIVATE=1

I forgot to mention that if i double click MS0 or MS1 in the fat95 it states DEVICE 'MS0:' is already mounted ...Same goes if i doble click MS1 ?????

Surely there should be an icon for the usb stick in Devsosdrivers? is it the MS0/MS1 ?

Last edited by back2skooldaze; 04 August 2022 at 02:21.
Old 04 August 2022, 02:21   #8
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2skooldaze View Post
@Kin Hell Please can you help? Ive got my spider usb card all setup with mediator in my A1200. Ive installed poisden and my usb stick is detected and detects everytime on booting the amiga. Now im trying to use the usb stick as storage. Ive installed FAT95 Ive tried to follow what you said about copying the HD toolbox and renaming the SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=scsi.device to SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=usb.device but on double clicking theres nothing detected to partition? Its empty?
Have i renamed this correct? Also when copying the original HD toolbox in Tools i clicked once then used Copy to make a duplicate?

Also in my DEVSosDrivers should there be something for the usb stick? In Fat95 theres MS0 and MS1 in both icon information its only got ACTIVATE=1

Surely there should be an icon for the usb stick in Devsosdrivers? is it the MS0/MS1 ?
Bromigo!

The USB stick can be used with any Format. If transferring files then FAT32 format is preferred. For that in L: you need the FAT95 filesystem.

To format a USB device/stick/SD/CF via the spider-II then Poseidon will already have you covered as it uses usbscsi.device which it loads up itself on detection of a USB device. Therefore if using O39 you will fond HDTOOLBOX will ask you which device to use for partitioning.

If you don’t have a choice In HDTOOLBOX then you need to either;

Execute command New CLI/shell type: HDToolBox usbscsi.device

Or

Change the information in HDTOOLBOX so instead of reading as;

DEVICE= scsi.device

To read

DEVICE = usbscsi.device

That way it will discover the USB device where you can set it up and partition it.
Old 04 August 2022, 02:25   #9
back2skooldaze

@Bromingo In my L: I have fat95 and install95 ? Should i have fat95 filesystem ?

Also i am using OS 3.1
Old 04 August 2022, 02:32   #10
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
@Bromingo In my L: I have fat95 and install95 ? Should i have fat95 filesystem ?

Also i am using OS 3.1
What are you attempting to do?

Just read back files back and forth from PC to Amiga back to PC? Then FAT95 in L: is fine on the Amiga side as that allows for reading and writing FAT16/32 formatted USB devices from MS Windows. Remember that the USB stick can’t be bigger than 32GB and single files can’t be over 4GB in size. Poseidon USB stack takes care of scanning USB devices and detects what to use, so no need for any mount lists in DevsOSDrivers like PCMCIA and CF0:

If planning to format a USB stick for Amiga use only, then L: FAT95 is not used as you already have usbscsi.device which
Posiedon on scanning the USB stick detects and loads up into memory, then you can partition using FFs, PFs3 like a normal HDD/CF/SD card via ide/scsi.

Don’t forget if the latter, try cleaning the USB stick first on a PC using Diskpart.

Also have a look in prefs: for “Trident” this is Poseidon USB stack GUI which shows what’s connected up and also gives you a live log to look at for errors/failures and connections.

Last edited by Leon Besson; 04 August 2022 at 02:52.
Old 04 August 2022, 02:47   #11
back2skooldaze

@Leon Besson, Im wanting to use the stick as mass storage on the amiga when its insertered? BUT if i do use the stick for files back and forth from pc to amiga then when the usb stick is in where is the icon? I have pcmcia card and that shows on the amiga but the usb stick not? It only shows its online in trident and the stick lights up red.

Ive formatted the stick in pc as FAT its a 1gb stick

Also what is the icons MS0 and MS1?

In DEVS I don't have usbscsi.device ? I have a drawer with 3 usb devices in... usb.device,rapidroadcpusb.device,rapidroadxs100usb.device
Old 04 August 2022, 02:58   #12
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
@Leon Besson, Im wanting to use the stick as mass storage on the amiga when its insertered? BUT if i do use the stick for files back and forth from pc to amiga then when the usb stick is in where is the icon? I have pcmcia card and that shows on the amiga but the usb stick not? It only shows its online in trident and the stick lights up red.

Ive formatted the stick in pc as FAT its a 1gb stick

Also what is the icons MS0 and MS1?

In DEVS I don't have usbscsi.device ? I have a drawer with 3 usb devices in... usb.device,rapidroadcpusb.device,rapidroadxs100usb.device
Usbscsi.device is loaded up via Poseidon stack on USB scan into RAM. There is no physical usbscsi.device as the others.

Re-read my last reply as I did edit it with extra stuff and info for you

Which version of posiedon are you using? I’m using V 4.5. If you are using 3.1 OS you may not have the def icon in prefs:envs/sys for a USB stick to show.

I tend to use OS3.9 or 3.1.4 with my mediator setups
Old 04 August 2022, 21:14   #13
back2skooldaze

@Leon Besson Im using OS 3.1 will be venturing in to OS 3.2 soon.
My pci.library is V13.9
mediconfig v2.4
poseidon library V4.5

How do i get the def icon for the usb stick? In poesidon the usb stick is online. Ive looked in prefs:env/sys and theres no usb stick icon? I dont even know what it looks like?
Ive put a UMSD icon in the DevsOS drivers ????
Old 04 August 2022, 22:13   #14
Leon Besson
Banned

There are plenty of icons to be had off Aminet.net. There are some USB ones here;

http://aminet.net/package/pix/picon/AlpyreIcons2

You don’t need anything in DevsOSDrivers for USB to work.

It’s down to the def-icon you use for the device.

Forget about PCMCIA and Compactflash.device and how you set that up

Poseidon is all you need here as it sets up the USB stack. As you have indicated the USB is being found but without a Icon appearing in the desktop

Have a look in Prefs:env-archive/sys as well to see if you have any def icons in there also.

The only other method to try is if you have Dopus installed is to copy over a disk.info into the USB stick. Then try getting hold of copyicon off Aminet.

Run copyicon with the new icon package you have got, drag over a USB icon 8th the left pane and then drag over the icon on the desktop of the USB stick. That way you will get an icon at least for that USB stick.

Copyicon can be gotten here;

http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/CopyIcon44

Last edited by Leon Besson; 04 August 2022 at 22:20.