English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 08 March 2015, 03:22   #1
Vaninna

...file is not an object module

Hi,

I am trying to send adfs with ADF sender from PC to Amiga. I have been able to make them speak and transfer files.

After transfer, I can not use transdisk or transwarp: "Unable to load transwarp, file is not an object module"

I also got "Workbench disk is full" while trying to put transdisk and transwarp on it although instructions of ADF sender say you should copy it to WB.
I solved it by deleting IconX and something else.

Can someone please help me so I can get started with using ADFs?
Amiga 500, no extras.
Old 08 March 2015, 08:15   #2
thomas

Make sure that the E protection bit is set (like in RWED).

If it is, you probably had transfer errors. Try again at a lower speed.

Or the file is truncated or expanded. Check that the file size on the Amiga is exactly like that on Windows.

Make sure that settings (BAUD, data bits, parity, stop bits, buffer size) are the same on both computers. Be sure to use hardware handshaking (RTS/CTS). You have to use a cable which has the RTS/CTS lines connected.

It may also be that your AmigaOS/Kickstart is too old. Some C compilers (for example VBCC) create object modules which don't load on Kick 1.3 and below.

You could try Amiga Explorer instead. It has a procedure to transfer the first file half-automatically. http://www.amigaforever.com/ae/
Old 08 March 2015, 14:06   #3
Vaninna

Hi, thanks for your reply!

I did the rwed thing, and I thought that I saw it while typing Info transdisk. Today it does not show.
Else I checked all the settings and they are correct. The 0modem cable is bought at an Amiga vendor. The file I sent is direct from adf websit, says it is specially prepared for the initial transfer.

The big question is if I have what it takes in form of a workbench disk. The only one I have, 1.3, has read write errors, but I manage to get to cli. From there I could get transdisk, but maybe there is some errors I do not see.
I tried Amiga explorer, but it seems like it needs more for the initial transfer since I got read write errors when it opens a new cli.

So I will try different speed settings, but it would be nice to hear what you think about my situation with a broken Wb but access to cli. Can it work? I have no other wb disk.

Old 08 March 2015, 14:31   #4
thomas

CLI is ok, but you need to run Preferences to check serial settings on the Amiga. Changing settings on the PC only does not work, it only increases the mismatch.
Old 08 March 2015, 22:24   #5
Vaninna

Thanks, that did it. With lower speed (9600) I was able to get the full program to RAM, with ADF sender. But my Workbench disk is full, it says, so I am wondering how this is supposed to work?

Can you please tell me how to store the program from RAM to disk, how to make space or put it on a new disk? I belive there is a better way than to delete random things on the wb disk...

I also got some files from Amiga Exporer setup to the Amiga (speed 9600), but when trying to access it it says file is not an object module.
Old 08 March 2015, 22:41   #6
thomas

You don't need to store it on disk, you can run it from RAM. You only risk that it gets lost if the Amiga crashes, then you have to transfer it again.

Now you can transfer your first ADF, for example a Workbench disk without read errors.

Once you have multiple copies of a Workbench disk you can use one of them and delete files you don't need. For example Utilities, Prefs, Expansion, Empty. Most programs from System are not needed, too.
Old 11 March 2015, 11:16   #7
Vaninna

It worked! Amazing, really.

But the struggle never ends. Now that I have managed all this I realize I have no Workbench 1.3 (without errors). And I can not find one in ADF format, which I though would be easy. Very ironic.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11 March 2015, 11:29   #8
ajk

An official way would be to buy an AmigaForever license, then you get all the Workbench versions as ADF. But you can find it unofficially as well.
Old 11 March 2015, 11:53   #9
Vaninna

OK thanks, I will search some more then.