English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 17 March 2016, 21:42   #21
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
That´s Crazy and Sad at the Same Time

I think every CD32 Conversion should have a Bootlogo that should mention that it´s FREE and a lot of effort went into creating it.
Excellent idea, can be incorporated into slaves or have it as an option in the CD32loader.
Old 17 March 2016, 22:38   #22
Amiga1992

Yeah I went and reported all his sales that I could find, past and current. eBay will pay attention if there are many reports about the same items and user.

Maybe we should contact the idiotic buyer of this item, too. I can't believe he would get this much money for this shit. It's the world's most expensive CD-R and paper
Old 17 March 2016, 22:43   #23
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I do not think there is a way contacting ebay buyer if you are not involved in that auction.
Old 17 March 2016, 22:44   #24
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Only joking, I wouldn't dream of doing anything like that.
Oh, right..

I didn't get the joke because, well.. I made the dumb decision of posting my indignation about it to the Amiga facebook group and was stunned by how many sided with the seller, so I assumed there might be sympathy for him here too.

In brief, it was insinuated that I was a hypocrite for also making conversions based on the work of others (though I've never asked for a cent), I was an enabler for making said conversions, I was jealous that I didn't make the sale myself, that ripping off idiots is OK, that the auctions were fine as he had a 1 euro reserve (never mind that no one - not us, the original developers or the slave authors - gave him permission for even marginal profiteering), that I even should pat him on the back, buy him a pint and congratulate him for pulling off the sale. What the seller did felt like a kick in the guts, but what the users on the facebook said was far more sobering.

An ebay warning on discs might be a good idea, but it's effort on part of the developers to create, an inconvenience for the users who downloaded said conversions, and not a huge difficulty for technically minded sellers to remove.
Old 17 March 2016, 22:50   #25
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Oh, right..

I didn't get the joke because, well.. I made the dumb decision of posting my indignation about it to the Amiga facebook group and was stunned by how many sided with the seller, so I assumed there might be sympathy for him here too.

In brief, it was insinuated that I was a hypocrite for also making conversions based on the work of others (though I've never asked for a cent), I was an enabler for making said conversions, I was jealous that I didn't make the sale myself, that ripping off idiots is OK, that the auctions were fine as he had a 1 euro reserve (never mind that no one - not us, the original developers or the slave authors - gave him permission for even marginal profiteering), that I even should pat him on the back, buy him a pint and congratulate him for pulling off the sale. What the seller did felt like a kick in the guts, but what the users on the facebook said was far more sobering.

An ebay warning on discs might be a good idea, but it's effort on part of the developers to create, an inconvenience for the users who downloaded said conversions, and not a huge difficulty for technically minded sellers to remove.
You are no hypocrite, as I as a cracker am not.

I have NEVER sold any games/cracks to make a profit, others certainly did, but I did not.

I also object to this twat making money on the efforts of others, and for that, he can get fucked.
Old 17 March 2016, 23:42   #26
Amigajay

Do we actually know if he selling your isos earok? He could just be making them himself, as much as i dont like it i wont be adding any shitty not for sale screens on my discs for the sake of some scumbag making money, he will do it regardless, same for dvds/blurays original copys have crappy counterfit adverts whereas copies dont (or so im told lol)
Old 17 March 2016, 23:45   #27
earok

I honestly don't know for sure. Hybris certainly isn't mine. It's possible that he could have done the SOTB disc independently (albeit with the same idea that Steve had of using the PS4 version's art for the cover).

Though it's doubtless he's still profiteering on the community's work (it can't be a coincidence that he's advertised Hybris as having all of the same controls as Psygore's slave, for instance)

Edit: Oh, and of course he's selling the old 200/350/444/888 game compilations which he certainly didn't do..
Old 18 March 2016, 05:25   #28
earok

It turns out there is a Hybris standalone CD32 conversion (on the FTP server), though it's impossible to say whether it's that one or something new he's put together.
Old 18 March 2016, 08:56   #29
Vot

CD32 conversions being sold on EBay

One of you bid on his item and win. Then retrieve his home address via ebay (you can request it through ebay). Then lodge a non payment case saying you wont pay as its a fake. Then report him to the cops as selling counterfeit items (if he is misrepresenting them as original and not copies)

Btw he will also get your home address.
Old 18 March 2016, 09:09   #30
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

He states that they are "HomeBrew" so no, he's not saying that they are original. He's allegedly using earok's (and others) work and passing it off as his own.
Old 18 March 2016, 14:58   #31
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
He states that they are "HomeBrew" so no, he's not saying that they are original.
It doesn't matter if he says it's original or not. The homebrew in question is not his to sell. Also I am unsure eBay would still allow any of this to be sold on their site.

This kind of item falls under 3 criterion of what you can't sell on eBay, namely:
- "Bootleg records or unauthorized media" these could be considered bootlegs and are defiintely put in unauthorized media for sure.
- "Counterfeit item or authenticity disclaimer" (MAYBE solved by the "homebrew" claim)
- "Enabling duplication of copy-protected material" since the games have their copy protection removed, it can be easily copied

If you are reporting items, I would got for the third option, seems to me the most accurate and actionable.

The only prevention I can see for future releases here is releasing them with a license that explicitly says the compilation is not to be sold, plus a warning on the disc displaying at the beginning. That won't stop people from trying to sell them, or modify them to remove that, but at least it's something that would deter idiots like this Spanish guy from putting it all on eBay.

I'm sad you faced criticism on that group earok, but that's normal in the Amiga "community". It's the kinda thing that makes you wonder, "why do I go to all this effort to deliver things that are enjoyed by this kind of people?"
Old 19 March 2016, 01:02   #32
amigo-mexicano
Amiga's Power!

A t̷r̷o̷l̷l̷ ... I mean, a good solution would be to start selling them as "buy it now" for 5 euro, with free worldwide shipping, and ruin all his sales

And of course donate that money to something retro-computer-preservation-museum related or so...

Also, I also reported the only online item left, Hybris CD32. Let's all report him guys!

Last edited by amigo-mexicano; 19 March 2016 at 01:13.
Old 19 March 2016, 01:09   #33
Reido

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
What the seller did felt like a kick in the guts, but what the users on the facebook said was far more sobering
Sorry to hear you were getting negative comments on facebook, totally unjustifiable, and yes, what the seller has done is a real kick in the guts. But there's always gonna be people like this guy unfortunately. Ignore. You're responsible for injecting new life into the CD32, you and everyone else involved should be proud of this, and you have the appreciation of all CD32 users the world over!

Keep up the great work.

Last edited by Reido; 19 March 2016 at 07:16.
Old 19 March 2016, 07:40   #34
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigo-mexicano View Post
A t̷r̷o̷l̷l̷ ... I mean, a good solution would be to start selling them as "buy it now" for 5 euro, with free worldwide shipping, and ruin all his sales

And of course donate that money to something retro-computer-preservation-museum related or so...

Also, I also reported the only online item left, Hybris CD32. Let's all report him guys!
Good Idea. You could also do as suggested but use a link for the CD so that they could download it like the Windows key sellers do.
Old 20 March 2016, 21:04   #35
newflesh1

The first ebay listing has gone.Just reported the Hybris game with a wiki link for their info stating the game as pirate not homebrew.
I realise that the releases here for CD32 conversions is a bit of a grey area but that is just blatant piracy and on top of that the amount of money that would have been made is staggering.
@ Galahad/FLT Listened to your interview on The Retro Hour,very respectable.
Also nice to see the CD32 releases getting some notice.
Amigajay got a mention two weeks in a row .
Old 20 March 2016, 21:16   #36
newflesh1

Just out of interest the other way to deal with the sale of this is to create a fake ebay account bid and win the disk,then make excuses just to drag it out and string them along and not pay then lastly send a message about piracy.Maybe even have two fake accounts to drive the price up.
Old 20 March 2016, 21:30   #37
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflesh1 View Post
Just out of interest the other way to deal with the sale of this is to create a fake ebay account bid and win the disk,then make excuses just to drag it out and string them along and not pay then lastly send a message about piracy.Maybe even have two fake accounts to drive the price up.
Looking at the amount paid for the last one, driving the price up doesn't seem to deter some people. Would you pay 90 euro for a "homebrew" disk? Some people will.
Old 20 March 2016, 21:37   #38
newflesh1

No that's not what i suggested.I meant drive the price up to something silly and bump the seller.
To be honest there is not a lot you can do apart from trawl ebay and look for these disks,reporting them and hope that ebay will stop the sale and the seller will give up but i doubt it.If you manage to stop a couple then it's a small victory but at least you did something about it.
Old 25 March 2016, 04:17   #39
amigo-mexicano
Amiga's Power!

It seems he finally gave up on listing more games...
Old 29 January 2018, 00:28   #40
earok

Sigh

This shit is beginning again.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-CD32-...sAAOSw-4Rabfcr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-CD32-...0AAOSwX7BabfX0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-CD32-...sAAOSwzbxabfb4