English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 12 October 2010, 19:26   #41
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateblind View Post
I didn't mind the random battles that much when I first played the FF games, but now they almost make it unplayable for me.
Those J-RPG games ar getting a bit too "samey" for my liking. I used to really enjoy them, but they do become quite repetitive!

You get your usual group of characters with their own personalities (there's always one with an attitude problem or some kind of personality/social disorder)... one will inevitably fall in love with another and possibly either one ends up dying later in the games story. They obviously go on some extremely far-fetched quest in some other universe or dimension... with no doubt a war going on somewhere..... There will always be someone who turns out to be an evil traitor and can change into a giant monster or something (becomes a boss).... i could go on and on

Anyway i'm starting to get bored with these games now
Old 12 October 2010, 20:08   #42
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
Anyway i'm starting to get bored with these games now
Did you try Dragon Quest 8 on the PS2? It is as hardcore J-RPG as you can get, but it does it so well that you just have to love it, especially because there is so much to do and find. Great and especially long storyline also.
Old 12 October 2010, 20:42   #43
captcpsc

I don't like rabbit holes. I think that's the proper term to them. Basically on a game like Rags to Riches when you push to go into something (in this example a shave) and you then just pop out x amount of time later..... Sims 3 has some rabbit holes too....such as exploring the catacombs...this many years later and still going on... It just ends up pulling me back into reality and out of the escape I'm trying to have.

And on flight simulators they are getting better but details details details people; and missions like fly this 747 here to there, out of the box not hacked on stuff later... Meet up with other pilots... be able to SEE myself the pilot...be able to get out of the plane and get in another one... an evaluation on my landing....like NOT bad try to slow down a lil more next time by descending slower and using more flaps err something like that....

And speaking of sims3 you need a super beefy pc and video card so that you can speed up time??? HELLO??? cut down the detail don't bother showing my plants slowly grow almost nothing....or the bugs above my rotting food flying.... if I am at fast do just that GO FAST.... A mode where it says skip how many hours forward and then does some chance calculations and draws a final update at the end be fine? They have it on games for like Wii like press your luck or whatever you can either WATCH your opponent take his turn or just see what the damn outcome was.... stop it or come out of it if a robber comes in or the house catches on fire and jump back to a slower time.... it's crazy when you have a "modern" day game and your still kinda stuck in a sorta way on load times.... not as bad as start the commodore 64 game loading eat breakfast come back and it'll just about be done loading game time.... but still.
Old 13 October 2010, 08:37   #44
s2325
Zone Friend

1000CC Turbo http://hol.abime.net/2344 You can fall from the bike in the middle of the road without any reason. Also maximum speed is the only way to catch your opponents but you will crash at first road angle. Or maybe I'm getting old.
Old 13 October 2010, 10:12   #45
john4p
Competition Moderator

I hate "adaptive difficulty" which rewards you when you suck and punishes you for doing well.
Old 13 October 2010, 10:43   #46
Jgames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
Yes.... I have angered the gods..... but magic pockets epically sux! yeah... I was playing (loosely using that word here) Magic Pockets - I have more fun just listerning to the intro... man that game sux.
Never liked magic pockets, so yeah it sux!
Old 13 October 2010, 13:09   #47
s2325
Zone Friend

African Raiders-01 http://hol.abime.net/3203 - everything is frustrating here. You can not skip title screen (with music) and animated intro. Bad controls and choppy scrolling. Also something is wrong with brightness.
Old 23 October 2010, 22:31   #48
s2325
Zone Friend

Championship Run http://hol.abime.net/1558 - opponent can drive through your car if behind you but you can not do same trick
Old 24 October 2010, 03:27   #49
skateblind
Village Idiot

Team mates calling me a noob when they are even worse. It seems that the ones shouting noob are usually the worst players.
Old 24 October 2010, 10:38   #50
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Wasted dreams. Killing any enemy needs more likely luck than experience and practice. And also in a gunfight, no matter if you're shootin' first, still can get 4-5 hits so in a simple fight you can loose the entirely game.
Old 25 October 2010, 13:55   #51
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Team mates calling me a noob when they are even worse. It seems that the ones shouting noob are usually the worst players.
Yeah well who cares about these illiterates anyway. But yes, it is hard to like multiplayer-oriented games because of the people you have to face there... I tend to only play the more obscure games where you have less chance of finding these idiots.

I like the games that are designed to filter out these people right at the beginning. I take Guild Wars as a good example; it has like a staging area you cannot skip where you begin to learn the game; the "noobs" hardly ever get through it, thus in the main game you tend to mostly meet serious players. I love it, although it is annoying to start a new character. You can't have everything.
Old 25 October 2010, 14:03   #52
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

The problem is in an 'action strategy' game like League of Legends, there are people that play it like an MMORPG and just try to stay alive while killing the other champions (players). I tend to just focus on the turrents and getting to the 'nexus'. People that are loosing the game because they just chased someone throughout the level, instead of getting the strategic advantage start getting pretty pissed off after a while So... we are getting frustrated to be called a n00b while winning and they are, because their awesome WoW tactics don't work
Old 31 October 2010, 16:02   #53
s2325
Zone Friend

Inferior http://hol.abime.net/3644 There is blank black space at the top and at the bottom but you can not fly there even if you see it should be possible. A lot of cheap deaths because of that. Also you can shoot at the end of each zone but your bullets are not visible, you can only hear sound fx.
Old 01 November 2010, 18:52   #54
laffer
Zone Friend

I find it annoying when games that start out great end up being so difficult that they're not fun to play anymore in the later stages.
Old 01 November 2010, 18:59   #55
Dreedo

Yeah having to press buttons to pick things up annoys me in some cases, like Left 4 Dead, i always have trouble highlighting a gun and holding X when a zombie horde is slashing me!

But as this is a retro section, i have to say poor controls on N64 racing games, There are so many racing games on the N64 that have really bad controls.... thinking about it, so many N64 games have bad controls :P. Diddy Kong racing and Mario Kart have good controls for racing games, but most of them didnt.
Old 02 November 2010, 09:06   #56
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
I find it annoying when games that start out great end up being so difficult that they're not fun to play anymore in the later stages.
Yur, difficulty balance is hard to achieve and requires specialized people, a role which did not really exist in the golden days of gaming (I think nowadays they call these people "lead world designers").

I tend to think for older games this is the result of poor playtesting; a game is only really played through intensely partly and is then assumed to be okay and shipped.

Possible end results: the game is too difficult in the later stages and may even contain a game locking bug or two.
Old 02 November 2010, 09:39   #57
Gordon
Settler

With Amiga games, it has to be lack of "save game" or passwords in some games which means you have to complete them in one sitting while maintining a measley 3 or 5 lives.
Old 02 November 2010, 09:46   #58
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

I don't like casual encounters in old RPGs and time-limit levels in new action games.
Old 02 November 2010, 13:09   #59
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
I gave up with PSN due to abusive, mouthy little brats! They're not even old enough to play half the games in the first place! I used to be a big PC multiplayer nut but i find myself on XBL more often now as most of my friends game over XBL instead of their PC's... there's still some abuse but i find the players to be more mature compared to the little kids on PSN.

It's unfortunate that the same players will always bump into me and get killed by me.... and then the abuse starts because they are crap at playing

Oh and i used to absolutely hate the idea of playing 1st person shooters on a console with a pad.... but now it's almost become second nature! It seems way to easy just using a keyboard and mouse now
Old 02 November 2010, 16:59   #60
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
Oh and i used to absolutely hate the idea of playing 1st person shooters on a console with a pad.... but now it's almost become second nature! It seems way to easy just using a keyboard and mouse now
Omg n00b!11!!11!