English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 06 January 2016, 22:22   #21
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Probably not worth the trouble, it is easy to ignore manually.

Do you mean listing all addresses that were "hit" by copper only or audio only, blitter only (all, reads only, writes only) and so on? That could be useful.
Yes.
Old 07 January 2016, 15:37   #22
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Also done.

- all chip ram and slow ram is now supported.
- visual part is now optional
- Any DMA channel (and more) accesses can be listed.

Initial enable command "vh" (enable) or "vh -1" (enable visual mode)

After enable:

vh [ratio] [number of lines] = list CPU instruction access info (like previously, but does not clear collected data anymore)
vh <name of channel> [number of lines] to list all addresses that channel has accessed

Examples:

vh cop = list all copper accesses (includes also copper writes to custom registers)
vh bltd = blitter D channel accesses only (bltdn = normal D channel mode only, bltdf = fill, bltdl = line)

CPU accesses: cpu = all, cpui = opcode fetch, cpud = data access, cpudr = data reads only, cpudw = data writes only.

and so on.

vh ? lists all possible channel modes. Same channel mode strings are also supported by memory watch break points. (Memwatch already supported most of them but some are new)

number of lines = 0: list everything.

vhc = clear collected data.
Old 08 January 2016, 13:56   #23
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

It seems like Toni is unstoppable once he has started to work on a new feature.

Btw, Toni, I cannot see any corresponding commit on the GitHub repository. I looked for available branches for this development but only master is available. I assume you are working on local branches?

I want to use the feature on OS X so would it be possible to make these commits available? A dedicated branch would be ideal I guess if you do not want to pollute the master branch with a not-yet-official code base initially?

Thanks in advance!

My plan is to merge the corresponding commits in a recent FS-UAE dev version so I can use the heatmap on OS X. Hopefully, Fröde can then pull the adaptation straight into his branch afterward.

Also, the fact that WinUAE has only a "master" branch got me puzzled: do you always work directly in master for new developments? I assume you have local branches to avoid stepping on your own toes between beta versions, fixes for the released version and various new developments but the history shows only commits to master.
Do you always merge these different histories back to master before pushing to GitHub?
Old 08 January 2016, 14:55   #24
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I just hack this thing until it becomes something I want it to be (don't try to suggest anything, I won't listen), everything that is part of low level emulation code is far too inter-connected. Especially debugger which needs to connect to every part without causing extra slow down when not in use.

It is now the phase between betas where lots of major changes will be done and when I have no idea when things are stable enough again.

Anyway, next beta should be out by next sunday.
Old 09 January 2016, 06:26   #25
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
I just hack this thing until it becomes something I want it to be (don't try to suggest anything, I won't listen), everything that is part of low level emulation code is far too inter-connected. Especially debugger which needs to connect to every part without causing extra slow down when not in use.

It is now the phase between betas where lots of major changes will be done and when I have no idea when things are stable enough again.

Anyway, next beta should be out by next sunday.
Ok, thanks for the info, I will grab the sources next Sunday then!

I had not realized that the "3220" commits are related to the beta versions of 3.2.2 and this just dawned on me while browsing the commits a few minutes. Silly kitty.

I asked because it is frequent to use branches to split work by functionality to make it simpler to track multiple things concurrently so I assumed that is what you did on your local Git repository. Also since the version is in beta I assumed that you would not add low level modifications which might reduce stability hence why I thought you had a local branch but everyone has their own workflow and now I understand how yours work.

Quote:
(don't try to suggest anything, I won't listen)
This part confuses me. What do you mean?

I am not sure if you are talking about the architecture of the code, or source control workflow, or general collaboration. I do not think you are implying that you do not welcome coordination or that you are opposed to any change by principle so clearly I must be misunderstanding what you are referring to.

Just to make myself clear in case you are referring to something I said that was not clear (and this would not be the first time I said something unclear) my interest is just to bring to get the heatmap on OS X so I just wanted to know how you managed these commits.

If you think branches are a good idea (or not) for coordinated work, well, I am sure willing to listen to your suggestions but for my use case and given that you are likely quite busy with the beta I have no need for it at the moment. I was just curious.

Thanks again for the update, I will be eagerly watching overt Github.
Old 09 January 2016, 17:39   #26
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Done. debug.cpp and debug.h are the main files. Then try compiling and finding all changed calls here and there until no more errors
Old 10 January 2016, 15:11   #27
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Done. debug.cpp and debug.h are the main files. Then try compiling and finding all changed calls here and there until no more errors
Nice! Thanks.

After a cursory look, the heatmap code seems simple enough to isolate from the rest. Now I can only hope that the FS-UAE dev version is not too distant from this last commit. I will probably create a branch from an ancestor version to the latest FS-UAE version and the beta, which I will then merge your last commit to, excising only the heatmap related code. Then if Frode wants it he will be able to pull that into the dev version.
I am not too sure it is a good idea though because I don't know Git's algorithm well enough to figure out if it would handle well potential merges back into WinUAE but that is a problem for later times.

Unfortunately I must work overtime this weekend so I won't be able to touch that today. Maybe later in the week if I can free some time in the morning.

Thanks again for the update.

Last edited by ReadOnlyCat; 10 January 2016 at 15:17. Reason: Added Git possible operations..