English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 December 2017, 18:07   #1
ZEUSDAZ

New Sh*t Game Time - Moonwalker (Amiga)

Welcome to another Shit Game Time, this time I shit-rate Moonwalker on the Amiga requested by youtuber "It's Big Ian", I hope you enjoy my pain.
Please subscribe to my Retro Game Channel as I'm sure you'll enjoy many of the game videos on there inclluding tons of SGT vids :-D
All the best, Zeus.

Moonwalker: [ Show youtube player ]
Contains Swearing!

Zeusdaz channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/ZEUSDAZ
Old 24 December 2017, 20:41   #2
DamienD
Banned

Moonwalker is rubbish

Why, oh why didn't they make an arcade port?

...same goes for Willow. The arcade version rocks.
Old 26 December 2017, 23:40   #3
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Moonwalker is rubbish

Why, oh why didn't they make an arcade port?

...same goes for Willow. The arcade version rocks.
Well thank goodness for MAME is all we can say
Old 26 December 2017, 23:44   #4
DamienD
Banned

Yup, totally agree

MAME rocks!!! and probably one of the first ever emulators I tried back in the late 90s
Old 27 December 2017, 00:58   #5
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSDAZ View Post
Welcome to another Shit Game Time, this time I shit-rate Moonwalker on the Amiga requested by youtuber "It's Big Ian", I hope you enjoy my pain.
Please subscribe to my Retro Game Channel as I'm sure you'll enjoy many of the game videos on there inclluding tons of SGT vids :-D
All the best, Zeus.

Moonwalker: [ Show youtube player ]
Contains Swearing!

Zeusdaz channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/ZEUSDAZ
Hi Zeus! At this moment I am quite roundly drunk on Cointreau and Cola, but I am not going to rant like I did before as I did on Ranarama (for that I apologise once again). I agree that this conversion is utter crap, and is most likely one of those lazy ports that was done on many 8- and 16-bit platforms back in the day, which are not true to the arcade originals, but were done for minimum time at maximum profit.

First off, that damn looping music. You're right, it would drive someone insane after a while and I stopped watching initially at 7:12 cos it was doing that to me, and while they could've utilised the new MOD format for a more versatile rendition of the tune rather than a looped sample, I guess they either didn't know about the format or didn't have enough time to learn how to use it and make it.

Secondly, the overhead view has always been a cheap way of making games, but I thought it was unfair that you have the radar with enemies and objects to collect, but no actual walls displayed. As a result, you might be chased by an enemy and think you can escape, but run into a wall with no warning cos you can't see it on the radar. That is totally unfair, I think.

I've carried on watching the video, as seeing as you suffered through it, we should suffer along with you, and whilst I've analysed the audio loop and discovered that it''s the same five musical notes EVERY TWO FUCKING SECONDS. I have enjoyed your commentary, but that sole sound (except for the beep of object collection) is maddening. I noticed one thing, however, that you don't lose ALL the objects you collected on being eaten by a lion or whatever (yes, that's what I thought it looked like!) so be grateful for small mercies.

So as of now, I've seen the end of your video, and I agree with you. I have to wonder if the US Gold programmers actually took FUN into consideration when making this lazy port?
Old 27 December 2017, 11:12   #6
gazj82

I guess they had to come up with a concept that would work on a Spectrum and every other 8 bit. This is why we got a simple game concept even on the Amiga.
Old 27 December 2017, 14:15   #7
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Also the arcade game was released later than this one. When this was made the arcade game still didn't exist.

And I also believe Sega wasn't licensing their games to third-parties anymore at that point.

The arcade game is indeed amazing, I remember the first time I saw it and I was gobsmacked by it.

The Mega-Drive game is also very good, one of my fav games on the system, played it a lot up until I could finish it on HARD without losing one single life

The computer games are awful, the Amiga version is the worst mainly because of the music.
Old 10 January 2018, 23:17   #8
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Hi Zeus! At this moment I am quite roundly drunk on Cointreau and Cola, but I am not going to rant like I did before as I did on Ranarama (for that I apologise once again). I agree that this conversion is utter crap, and is most likely one of those lazy ports that was done on many 8- and 16-bit platforms back in the day, which are not true to the arcade originals, but were done for minimum time at maximum profit.

First off, that damn looping music. You're right, it would drive someone insane after a while and I stopped watching initially at 7:12 cos it was doing that to me, and while they could've utilised the new MOD format for a more versatile rendition of the tune rather than a looped sample, I guess they either didn't know about the format or didn't have enough time to learn how to use it and make it.

Secondly, the overhead view has always been a cheap way of making games, but I thought it was unfair that you have the radar with enemies and objects to collect, but no actual walls displayed. As a result, you might be chased by an enemy and think you can escape, but run into a wall with no warning cos you can't see it on the radar. That is totally unfair, I think.

I've carried on watching the video, as seeing as you suffered through it, we should suffer along with you, and whilst I've analysed the audio loop and discovered that it''s the same five musical notes EVERY TWO FUCKING SECONDS. I have enjoyed your commentary, but that sole sound (except for the beep of object collection) is maddening. I noticed one thing, however, that you don't lose ALL the objects you collected on being eaten by a lion or whatever (yes, that's what I thought it looked like!) so be grateful for small mercies.

So as of now, I've seen the end of your video, and I agree with you. I have to wonder if the US Gold programmers actually took FUN into consideration when making this lazy port?
Hi, first of all yes I did see that rant of yours but chose to maturely ignore it, looks like you had a couple of tellings off for it by others and you appologised afterwards so let's all move on

Good overall point you made regarding Moonwalker, the repeating loop was a terrible idea and no doubt resulted in the programmers thinking it would be a cool thing to do is have real samples of his songs,...of course but for goodness sake make a better effort and if it's because of copyright they should have simply used the Amiga sound chip for a full rendition of the songs like the ST version.

Just a week to go to get your votes in, it's quite close so far between these two games.

On another issue everyone, I'll be hosting a new Livestream on my channel this sunday at 6pm (GMT) where I'll be playing retro games and hosting another "name that retro game tune" game :-)
Feel free to pop by, all is welcome.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ZEUSDAZ

Zeus

Last edited by ZEUSDAZ; 02 July 2022 at 00:55.
Old 10 January 2018, 23:21   #9
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

If I had the time (ie actually enough money to not need working to pay bills) I think I'd bother to make a version of the Mega-Drive game to the Amiga. Mod versions of the tunes would be great, even better than the Mega-Drive versions I guess. And the game is really doable on an Amiga.

It's also a great game IMO.
Old 12 January 2018, 22:04   #10
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

You: "There's boots"
Me shouting at screen: They're pants!

Shit game indeed, one of the shittiest. I didn't think so at the time, the movie had me completely mystified with all it's weirdness and wacko animations and it was cool to play a game that had anything to do with it.

Four second music loops are one thing... Eventually I did get quite good at dodging all the terminators, but I have never in my life been able to complete the first level within the time limit. 5 minutes is total B.S. when you constantly run out of breath.