English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware pics

Old 09 January 2014, 07:49   #1
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Kryoflux in Amiga External Drive

I was going to post this on the Kryoflux Forum, but I got the questions wrong, (Dumb B*s*a*d), so I'm posting it here.

I bought a couple of non working external floppy drives from e-bay and used one to house my Kryoflux.

I used one of the PC Floppy drives that also have a card reader, (very handy for mounting CF Cards in WinUAE).

Last edited by Arnie; 03 November 2014 at 13:30.
Old 10 January 2014, 00:02   #2
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
I was going to post this on the Kryoflux Forum, but I got the questions wrong, (Dumb B*s*a*d)
Really? PM me and I will help. I thought those questions are really easy...
Old 10 January 2014, 23:41   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

Hey Arnie,

Those pics are most intriguing.

Can you provide some more details about how you have managed to get that lot connected and working together, please?
Old 11 January 2014, 11:31   #4
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hey Arnie,

Those pics are most intriguing.

Can you provide some more details about how you have managed to get that lot connected and working together, please?
It's a tight fit and requires a bit of filing..

You need to remove the old board and drive from the external floppy drive housing. Then file or drill the floppy mounting holes, of the external drive mounting plate, into slots so you can move the floppy drive forward by 10mm.

Next I cut the holes for the USB and power connector of the
Kryoflux board (KFB) out of the external drive mounting plate.

Offer up the floppy drive and KFB and mark where the floppy cable connectors overlap. With my drive I had to file/cut the corner off of the floppy drive connector. This made the cable loose so I super glued it on.
I also had to do a bit of filing and cutting of the floppy drive case to get the board to sit right (nothing major)

Screw the drive onto the drive plate and hot glue the KFB in place.
Pop the top lid on and you're done.

My drive has a card reader so I had to add (crudely) an external usb connector onto the internal one.

You can have both usb cables connected or one at a time, it make no difference to the operation except that if you only have the card reader usb cable connected then the activity led wont work.
Old 11 January 2014, 21:11   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

Thanks, mate.

I may have a couple more questions later on when I've got my head round exactly what you've done there.

I have never seen the internals of a USB floppy drive, let alone one with additional card reader slots.

I do have a couple of external USB floppy drives, so now would be a good time to take one apart and have a look, methinks...
Old 11 January 2014, 23:54   #6
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Thanks, mate.

I may have a couple more questions later on when I've got my head round exactly what you've done there.

I have never seen the internals of a USB floppy drive, let alone one with additional card reader slots.

I do have a couple of external USB floppy drives, so now would be a good time to take one apart and have a look, methinks...
It's not a usb floppy drive mate, it's a normal PC drive with a usb card reader attached. The 2 usb leads coming out the back are for the reader and the Kryoflux.

It would be nice if the Kryoflux could act as a usb floppy drive but I expect it was never designed for that purpose.
Old 12 January 2014, 00:05   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
It's not a usb floppy drive mate, it's a normal PC drive with a usb card reader attached.

The 2 usb leads coming out the back are for the reader and the Kryoflux.
Aha! That's what was causing my confusion.

When I saw the "USB2.0 High Speed" legend on the front of the drive, I thought it was a USB floppy drive with an internal hub providing an interface for the CF card and Microdrive ports and the floppy drive, and then I wondered how you managed to insert the KryoFlux between the drive and the USB hub and got it all to fit in the case!

Quote:
It would be nice if the Kryoflux could act as a usb floppy drive but I expect it was never designed for that purpose.
You're quite right there, unfortunately.
Old 12 January 2014, 11:54   #8
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Not worth the effort, really, at least from our point of view. Needs additional drivers, lots of testing with a myriad of Windows flavours.

But: anyone who wants to do such thing, get in touch. The firmware interface is no magic. Stream data is fully documented.
Old 12 January 2014, 13:59   #9
mark_k

Would it be more feasible to (in theory, this is probably not worth anyone's while to implement of course!) make the Kryoflux optionally appear as a normal USB floppy drive to the host computer? Then no host-side drivers would be needed.

Hmmm... you could even make it support Amiga disks natively (appearing as a 1760-sector block device to the host). Kind of similar to how some USB floppy drives support the 640/1200KB 3.5" formats (used mostly in Japan I think, 360rpm drive) as well as 720/1440KB.
Old 13 January 2014, 15:43   #10
IFW

You do need a host side program as processing flux reversals directly coming from a sampling hardware is not cheap computing wise - certainly not something that the onboard SoC should even attempt to do
Old 13 January 2014, 15:45   #11
mark_k

How about Kryoflux 2, now with honking great $500 FPGA on board?
Old 13 January 2014, 19:50   #12
IFW

Somehow I doubt that people would like to see that kind of price tag to happen in order to simulate the functionality of a $10 USB PC drive -but feel free to collect some potential customers