English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Contest

Old 19 February 2019, 17:38   #721
DJ METUNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
You're welcome.

While I love Outrun, porting it to the Amiga is just a mad man task.

Even if I were to completely understand the math involved I just think there's already nice driving games on the Amiga that do it justice.

Interesting read this though...

http://www.extentofthejam.com/pseudo/
Very interesting read, indeed!

Yes, you're probably right. It would take an incredible lot of work, time and hair-pulling to get everything in place.

It would be very interesting though to see how an unexpanded A1200 could really perform with such a fullscreen high FPS arcade type of a racer.
Old 21 February 2019, 19:09   #722
LeCaravage

It was pleasurable and instructive to follow your dev diary. The other entrants are cool also to read but you are the one with the most details.

Cheers !

Edit : It's so obvious that I forgot to tell it, your game is brilliant.

Last edited by LeCaravage; 22 February 2019 at 21:16.
Old 26 February 2019, 22:01   #723
mcgeezer

So here we are.... two days to go and I'm shit out of time with loads of bugs still in Rygar. Frustratingly I can't seem to get the game to run properly on my real hardware so I'm wondering if I have a hardware fault somewhere, if someone wants to try it out then feel free... sometimes it works on my real stock amiga and sometimes not.

Here's a YT video...

[ Show youtube player ]

Here's a video from OBS

http://www.siesmicminds.co.uk/downloads/RygarEAB06.mp4

And here's an ADF for you to try.

http://www.siesmicminds.co.uk/downloads/RygarEAB06.adf

Just a quick note on what/who Siesmic Minds is... basically that is me (mcgeezer) and anyone mad enough to work with me on a project... I've setup the default website and stuff and my plan is after Rygar to do some game coding tutorials/videos and publish them there.

If I don't post another update before the 28th (because of work commitments)... then this will go ahead as the entry to the compo.

I've made the game insanely hard... but not impossible, if you get to round 4 without it crashing then you're doing much better than me.

Good luck to all.

Signing Off.

Geezer
Old 26 February 2019, 22:11   #724
DamienD
Banned

Nice one Graeme

Well done in getting this far in such a short period of time!!!
Old 26 February 2019, 22:30   #725
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Nice one Graeme

Well done in getting this far in such a short period of time!!!
Cheers mate - means a lot.

I just hope I can get it stable on Real HW... but as I'm not 100% sure yet the hardware is working properly... works fine WinUAE base 1200 config.

We'll see what happens.
Old 26 February 2019, 23:35   #726
roondar

It's been quite a road to get here. I'm really impressed by what you made given the limited time you had to do it!

After all, six months part-time is not that much to make a game

I do have one question though: are you going to continue work on Rygar after the compo closes, or is the compo version the one that'll be the final version?
Old 27 February 2019, 00:32   #727
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Old 27 February 2019, 07:41   #728
ross
Defendit numerus

Great work Geezer, the game is here.
And is really good.

Old 27 February 2019, 08:02   #729
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Crazy enough what you achieved in half a year.
Old 27 February 2019, 09:51   #730
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
I do have one question though: are you going to continue work on Rygar after the compo closes, or is the compo version the one that'll be the final version?

I will absolutely be finishing it, i need a short break first though.

Thanks to everyone for their support! It’s been great taking part, i will try and fix the hardware comaptibilty before the deadline.

Geezer
Old 27 February 2019, 10:11   #731
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
I saw passing the red question mark bonus in the video .. does this one work if we shoot on it ?
Old 27 February 2019, 10:13   #732
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul View Post
I saw passing the red question mark bonus in the video .. does this one work if we shoot on it ?
Nope - not yet.
Old 27 February 2019, 12:37   #733
Foul

ok
Old 27 February 2019, 23:07   #734
mcgeezer

Hurray - the game now works on stock A1200 hardware - now i'm HAPPY!

I recreated the ADF, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it was the add21k utility I was using instead of the add44k I should have used for the AGA machines to claim some memory back.

Here' a video of it running on my A1200.

Youtube...
[ Show youtube player ]

From my server...

http://www.siesmicminds.com/downloads/RygarEAB09.mp4

And here is the working ADF! I have updated the other ADF's to this one so please redownload!

http://www.siesmicminds.com/downloads/RygarEAB09.adf

The game requires a two button joy pad

Good luck to all entrants on the compo, I have a feeling I'm going to have a few beers tomorrow night... maybe play Bomb Jack Beer Edition.

Enjoy and please give it a go.

Geezer
Old 28 February 2019, 02:25   #735
Hewitson

The game really has gotten to the stage where it looks like it's runnning in MAME. Absolutely amazing.
Old 28 February 2019, 02:58   #736
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

really good job ! really near a perfect arcade port !
Old 28 February 2019, 10:10   #737
Reido

Fantastic job! Wish I could buy you that beer as a way of saying thanks.....have donated to the prize fund so you never know! Will boot this up tonight. This was one of my favourite arcade games, loved the soundtrack too, so the fact that it has been recreated so faithfully here is the icing on the cake
Old 28 February 2019, 10:37   #738
Foul

My little criticism of the game:

First, I never thought that a basic Amiga A1200 could run Rygar in such conditions, 50fps with lots of sprites!

My first criticism is precisely the speed, it seems to me that the arcade is a little bit slower ... some monsters (the most down to earth) but it may be me ... my feeling ...

Same for monsters, in stage 1 for example ... they are less numerous ... and there is no "lava monster" in this level ...

It still lacks some monsters ... the one who gets off the dragon for example, or those who kneel over each other to form a scale of 4 characters that is 10,000pts if they are destroyed in one fell swoop.

Regarding the BONUS, there are several that appear in level 1 while normally no ... it starts at level 2 ... and in general 1 see 2 BONUS max by level!

Bug: all the BONUS collected in level 1 are lost by starting level 2! Normally, we lose them only by losing a life

I think there is still a lot of bug, but nothing in the current state ... this game is a blessing! I'm a fan and can play on my Amiga is simply enjoyable: D

With all due respect, Thank you again for choosing this game to code on Amiga, I expected no better even in my dreams the wildest!
Old 28 February 2019, 10:56   #739
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul View Post
My little criticism of the game:

First, I never thought that a basic Amiga A1200 could run Rygar in such conditions, 50fps with lots of sprites!

My first criticism is precisely the speed, it seems to me that the arcade is a little bit slower ... some monsters (the most down to earth) but it may be me ... my feeling ...

Same for monsters, in stage 1 for example ... they are less numerous ... and there is no "lava monster" in this level ...

It still lacks some monsters ... the one who gets off the dragon for example, or those who kneel over each other to form a scale of 4 characters that is 10,000pts if they are destroyed in one fell swoop.

Regarding the BONUS, there are several that appear in level 1 while normally no ... it starts at level 2 ... and in general 1 see 2 BONUS max by level!

Bug: all the BONUS collected in level 1 are lost by starting level 2! Normally, we lose them only by losing a life

I think there is still a lot of bug, but nothing in the current state ... this game is a blessing! I'm a fan and can play on my Amiga is simply enjoyable: D

With all due respect, Thank you again for choosing this game to code on Amiga, I expected no better even in my dreams the wildest!

hhhhmmm... yeah.
Old 28 February 2019, 11:22   #740
roondar

Very cool to see you got the real A1200 bugs (mostly) squashed. It seems you also sneakily fixed a few more bugs at the last moment.

I can't stress enough how happy I am to see this game in this state. Not only because you did an amazing job , but also because it gives me hope that other cool projects will now also be considered for the A1200 as you showed that a lot is possible if you put your mind to it

So, kudos for all that and you've definitely earned that beer