English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 26 August 2011, 03:55   #201
magnetic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Mr.B (and everyone else who is trying to follow) -
Got to go to bed now. Tomorrow is pre-screening day (EMI test - yay..).

Jens

Jens you have been working overtime on this we are grateful. Good luck and we are excited!
Old 26 August 2011, 09:09   #202
moijk
License to Bubble

Feel free to notify me about 4000d order list.
Old 26 August 2011, 18:52   #203
gibs
Banned

Is it going to be a DVI connector ? Why not using a HDMI connector (DVI throught HDMI) ? It's smaller and better for integration. Most of the monitors now have a HDMI connector and no DVI...
Old 26 August 2011, 19:07   #204
Mr B

Licensing reasons? Also, to put a HDMI connector on your thing, i think you need to follow some content management specs, which you don't have to when you stick a DVI connector there.
And, DVI/HDMI is a moot point, it's a 1 buck adapter to go from one to the other.

If anything, you should have asked for a (mini) display port... ;- )
B!
Old 26 August 2011, 19:44   #205
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibs View Post
Is it going to be a DVI connector ? Why not using a HDMI connector (DVI throught HDMI) ?
jens answer to this:
(Well, kind of.. It was his answer to DVI-D vs DVI-A now that I read it.. ;-)
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=711898&postcount=6

Found it: :-)
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=716642&postcount=32

desiv
Old 26 August 2011, 21:18   #206
cv643d

What kind of difference between the indiviziona 1 and 2 does a faster pixelclock mean?

Will WB be faster in high resolution 256 color for example?
Old 26 August 2011, 23:31   #207
NovaCoder

no, it will just refresh quicker....
Old 27 August 2011, 02:40   #208
gibs
Banned

Mr B: It''s just for cosmetic. DVI connector are too big, it's going to be a mess to integrate to the 1200. Next time I'll ask for a Thunderbolt, I promise. Individual Computers is doing a good job, but they need to do an effort in design. Ex: I'm not happy with the yellow pee Turbo Chameleon. Lack of taste.

Last edited by gibs; 27 August 2011 at 02:47.
Old 27 August 2011, 06:18   #209
magnetic
Banned

gibs

I think you should follow posts like that with imo or imho as you saying the color choice for the product is a "lack of taste" that is your opinion. Others may like it.

As far as attention to design, Jens has take many steps to keep the shape of this device a certain way and has taken many design steps.
Old 27 August 2011, 13:12   #210
Exit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Since the target is to be out with the thing by october, the probability is *very* high. I have finished the register-communication on the new prototype in a way that I can update timing parameters of the CPLD with some FPGA signals. This way, I'll be able to adapt timing to weird accelerator cards with a simple flash upgrade.

I hope I can make the same thing for the pixel timing; some of you may know that the old Indivision AGA had trouble with Lisa chips by NCR, but works fine with HP and most Commodore Lisa chips. I'll know later this week.

Jens
thats great news jens.. i have a question, is its possible that you make a device to easiley mount that vga connector, on your 1200/4000 without having to drill holes in to your amiga?
Old 27 August 2011, 13:50   #211
gibs
Banned

Magnetic: You're right, I forgot "IMHO".

As customer I give my opinion. So IMHO the DVI connector is to big and it's going to be harder to integrate it and I don't like the idea of a ribbon cable dropped behind the Amiga
Old 27 August 2011, 16:05   #212
Mr B

The ribbon cable is so you can mount the DVI header anywhere in the case you see fit... And the size of the header isn't bigger then the rest of the headers, so it should be possible to fit it neatly. I'm thinking in the plastic lid thingy on the rear, behind the floppy.
B!
Old 27 August 2011, 17:34   #213
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Or you can always put it in the "TV-Modulator+Composite" area if you move one cap...

Old 27 August 2011, 18:55   #214
gibs
Banned

Mr B: the idea was to suggest a hdmi connector so Individual Computers could do a finished product with a sort of faceplate that we could put in place in the RF hole.
But it seems that, we are going to left the ribbon outside or use the dremel.

mfilos, as far as I know the cap you moved is used for composite filtering. As you have removed the composite connector, you can also remove the cap.
I already did that kind of mod.
Old 27 August 2011, 19:35   #215
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

@gibs
With HDMI you're limited to only new LCD/TV's or HD monitors.
With VGA (like mk1) you're limited to CRT/LCD's with VGA connector.
With DVI-I and an an adaptor (VGA or HDMI) you're good in both circumstances.

True. It's bigger but if you don't wanna mess with the RF Modulator, either mod it in the expansion slot under the floppy, or anywhere else via Dremel on the upper case.
You can even put an DVI to HDMI adapter inside or mount the adapter in RF Modulator place if space is not an issue (if no heavy modding is done inside)
Old 28 August 2011, 01:39   #216
DanielT

To begin with I have to admit, I have not had power connected to my amiga since 13-14 years ago. And not looked at the motherboard either.

I have an A4000d converted by myself into a bigtower chassis. I also have installed a cyberstorm '060@25Mhz if I recall correctly.

Now the question. Will having the conversion done make me use this MK2 4000t version (perhaps by slight modifications or such)? Or are there unmovable stuff that makes it impossible, perhaps rotation of the chip or zorroslot?

If not possible I need a 4000d version really bad. Please help!

It's time to start this machine up. (hopefully still working) I will need to fix battery.

Old 28 August 2011, 03:00   #217
gibs
Banned

Mfilos: you can also use a hdmi to dvi adapter. The fact is that hdmi is thiner and more adapted to the amiga.
Old 28 August 2011, 04:44   #218
NathanTolbert
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

I think Mr. B summed it up nicely when he explained above why they aren't using HDMI. There are two things about HDMI that would make it unusable as of right now for this. The first is the licensing fee. The license fee I could find on HDMI.org is $10,000 fixed annual license fee plus a royalty fee per device sold. Or you can go with a $5,000 fixed annual license fee plus 1.00 per product administration fee plus royalty fee per device. When you consider that $10,000 is a lot and hopefully close to what they will make from the run, that means they would only break even unless they increased their price. The second is the HDCP requirement. As of HDMI 1.4 all HDMI connections are required to make use of the HDCP standard for encrypting data being sent through the connection. This is purely unnecessary for the Amiga and would probably require additional chips on the SD/FF or a possible re-design of the card completely, both of which will add cost and delay the card, which I don't think anyone wants. I would love to see an HDMI connector as well, cause then I could just plug it right into the TV using an incredibly clear connection, but the added cost thanks to the pure greed of big companies eliminates that I feel. Here's to hoping the next card will be able to have a display port or thunderbolt connector.
Old 28 August 2011, 04:47   #219
Mr B

I still think it boils down to licensing fees. Licensing the HDMI spec, and hence, putting a HDMI port on your device, still requires a $10.000 fee as far as i know. Thats quite a bit to make up for by selling a $200 item... Oh, and a royalty of $0.04 applies as well. In comparison, DVI is "grandfatherd" was as far as i know, from the get go free from licensing fee's, and royalties. As is DisplayPort. So if you want "newer" you should ask for DisplayPort... But that means no analog signals, i believe, and well, that just leaves DVI.

Somehow i think Jens, or someone close to him, researched this. My numbers might be out of date, but they should be in the right neighborhood.
B!
Old 28 August 2011, 05:02   #220
kipper2k

I bought a DVI header and cable etc to see what options are available for mounting. A DVI header mounted on a small board will fit on the motherboard once the RF module and Composite connector is removed using existing holes. It can also be easily mounted by the small removable trapdoor on the backside. Have to wait and see what Jens decides to do, if its not mounted then i will mount mine on a small board using same idea as the ECS and a1200 indivision