English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 July 2015, 02:42   #1
toddbailey

Can't read a dvd, cd ok

Hello

I have a dvd-rw that I created on a pc that the amiga is reporting as not initialized, I'm wondering what the problem might be. I am running an a3000 with a Toshiba sd-m1711 scsi cd-rom/dvd-rom drive (I checked the specs is it's compatible with all the cd '-' and dvd '-' media)

Initially I installed a cd driver from xetec called CDx v2.01 1993 era, this gav me the ability to install wb 3.9 from cd. but no dvd access. I tried installing the driver from the 3.9 cd but no change. Any ideas what I need to do inorder to read dvd disks? thanks
Old 22 July 2015, 02:51   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Try another cd file system. AmiCDFS is a good one.
Old 22 July 2015, 07:49   #3
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbailey View Post
I have a dvd-rw that I created on a pc that the amiga is reporting as not initialized, I'm wondering what the problem might be.
Make sure to create the DVD in ISO9660 format. UDF cannot be read on the Amiga.
Old 22 July 2015, 13:04   #4
Daedalus

Weren't there some CD filesystems that didn't support reading DVDs? Can't remember which ones now but at the time, DVD support was a major selling point of one filesystem that claimed to be the only one...
Old 22 July 2015, 13:44   #5
thomas

Elbox claims that AlegroCDFS can read UDF DVDs. However, I yet have to find a DVD which proves this. I did not yet find even one DVD which can be read by AllegroCDFS but not on other CD file systems. Those DVDs which cannot be read by CacheCDFS cannot be read by AllegroCDFS, either.
Old 22 July 2015, 16:01   #6
toddbailey

I looked through my collection of disks utilities and found a cd driver amicdfs ver 2.4 from 1996 but I somehow broke the install and installed drivers, now no cd access.
I wish companies would have gone the extra few feet and created point and click install script. the driver install was a maze of copy this, move that, rename something else for a certain condition ( a path to the folder where the file to be renamed would be a plus rather than having to guess or hunt for it) and finally edit this file for this sub functionality.

I haven't done anything amiga for the better part of 20 years so I am sadly the new kid on the block, a have a few books but little time to read them.

I'll have to try to undo the mess and start over. thanks all

btw: I was able to read commercial dvd s but not the ones that the win 7 built in dvd burner created, I'll copy the folder to my linux box and try it from there. at least I'll have more control over dvd formats. thanks for the info on using the iso fmt and not the other
Old 22 July 2015, 16:12   #7
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
A CD File system change is just a case of copy the file system to l: and update the 'cdx' file to point to that file system. Latest version of AmiCDFS should be on Aminet
Old 23 July 2015, 03:57   #8
toddbailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
A CD File system change is just a case of copy the file system to l: and update the 'cdx' file to point to that file system. Latest version of AmiCDFS should be on Aminet
not for my particular floppy, like I said a maze to nav through. poorly written instruction on the install with lots of holes, aminet has a lot of drivers, hopefully one of those will work
Old 23 July 2015, 17:18   #9
thomas

You had one of the best CD drivers installed: CacheCDFS which comes with OS 3.9. Everything you find on Aminet is worse.

Like I said before, it's all a matter of creating the DVD in the right format. You won't find any CD driver for AmigaOS which can read DVDs in UDF format. You need to make them ISO9660.

You should try with some commercial movie DVDs first (not DVD-R or -RW). If they are not recognised, it might be that the drive is faulty.