English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 May 2002, 23:17   #1
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Amiga Forever

I finally got my null modem 25db - 9db cable and am trying transfer adfs to my Amiga 1200. I have the 9db end connnected to my PC's first com port and the 25db end connected to the Amiga's serial port but Amiga Explorer won't play ball.

Whenever I open AE it gives me the error message:

Error writing to com port.

Please make sure that Amiga Explorer 2.1 or higher is running on the Amiga, that both sides are configured properly, that the Amiga is connected to COM1 on this machine (otherwise, modify the Amiga Explorer COM port setting), and that the serial cable is wired correctly.

Now I haven't got a working copy of Workbench so I'm using Deluxe Paint to boot the Amiga. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I was under the impression that you could do everything from the PC side as long as you had something to boot the Amiga. Help please.
Old 01 May 2002, 23:29   #2
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I think I've got a bit further along with it. I tried to configure AE and it tells me to open a CLI window on the Miggy and type in "Type SER: to RAM:Setup". I couldn't find a CLI option so I selected the enter command option and entered it there. Then I got the error message: Type: unknown command, Type failed return code 10. What's that all about?

It would be so much simpler if my Workbench disk wasn't knackered.
Old 02 May 2002, 00:17   #3
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I managed to get a CLI screen using the 'Very First' tutorial disk but that still gives me errors. This time it says "can't open SER:".

Anyone got any advice for me?
Old 02 May 2002, 00:22   #4
RetroMan

SER: is the Serial Port and it is opened by WB, so what you do now is, copy the TYPE file from the tutorial disk into directory C of the DPaint Disk ..... now the ´TYPE´ thingy should work from the DPaint disk

btw. next time please use the EDIT button to edit your post, no need to post three messages all after the other ....
Old 02 May 2002, 20:30   #5
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Sorry about the triple post. I'll remember to edit the first one in future.

The problem is I'm not even sure the type program is on the tutorial disk. It tells me 'type' is an unrecognised command which suggests it isn't there although I'm no expert as you have probably gathered by now, lol. I thought maybe it would be on the corrupt WB 3.0 disk and that maybe if it wasn't all corrupt I could just pop the disk in and type 'dir' to see if I could find the file but the tutorial tells me to put the original disk back in whenever I do this.

Any chance of an idiots guide to doing this? I had an Amiga years ago but didn't venture into Workbench a great deal so it's not just a matter of remembering commands - I didn't know them to begin with.

Edit: I'm now using the version of Workbench on the Very First tutorial disk. The type command works but now it says "can't open ser:"

Has anyone got any idea why it can't find the serial connection?

Last edited by dreamkatcha; 03 May 2002 at 20:39.
Old 05 May 2002, 19:24   #6
Amiga1992

The SER: device is obviously not installed. you surely have no serial.device file in the DEVS directory.

I think all these questions should be posted in the Newbie area, btw. Or should I keep them here?
Old 05 May 2002, 20:03   #7
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Thanks for the reply. I eventually got past this stage by using the semi-corrupt WB 3.0 disk but then ran into another problem which I described in another thread in the hardware forum ...which I see you've also replied to.