English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.GameBase Amiga

Old 27 May 2009, 23:56   #1
DocBadwrench

Question Gamebase, WinUAE, and loading software

Greetings community members.

Firstly, please forgive the noobishness of my question. I have searched these forums extensively, done a fair amount of Googling, and am now 6+ hours into trying to configure Gamebase Amiga so that I can double-click on something in Gamebase and have WinUAE just run the thing.

By all accounts, things look properly configured. However, when I double click on a Gamebase entry, WinUAE boots properly save that I see the workbench prompt: that white backgrounded image of the hand holding the disk asking for Workbench 1.3 (that takes me back).

Current WinUAE values of note (not all of them; let me know if you need to know some other settings):

Quickstart Option

Model: A500
Config: 1.3 ROM, OCS, 512KB Chip + 512 KB Slow RAM (most common)
Host Config: Default Configuration

ROM Option

KS ROM v1.3 (A500, A1000, A2000) rev 34.5 (256k)
all other fields are blank

Floppy drives

DF0: is active (3.5" DD), but doesn't have anything in there because (I presume) that Gamebase is supposed to shove the proper disk into the virtual drive depending on what I have selected from Gamebase.

Again - many apologies. I'm sure this must be old news to so many of you. I've officially reached the limit of how much time I am allowed to spend on this since I have a wife, son, and a job.

Other Question: Is there a very clear way to "save settings" beyond the Configurations option?

Thanks in advance.

Old 28 May 2009, 00:07   #2
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

A daft question for you - but here goes - have you got any game adfs setup within GameBase?

Dave G
Old 28 May 2009, 00:13   #3
DocBadwrench

I'm pretty sure that can't be a daft question since I don't know what you're talking about. All I know is that I have verified available files to great success. According to Gamebase, I have tons of games in the expected location.

It is quite possible, though, that you are referring to something that I know nothing about. The great thing about getting into emulation these days is that it's filled with stuff I know nothing about.

Old 28 May 2009, 00:26   #4
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Then thats a better start than I'm having on my laptop at the minute
I've got this setup on my desktop and didn't have any problems. Now I'm trying to set it up on my laptop I can't find the bluddy emulator - which is a different problem to yours

Are you XP or Vista?

P.S. Gamebase has the right settings and configurations for each game that it finds - so you shouldn't officially need to change anything once you get started

Dave G
Old 28 May 2009, 00:32   #5
DocBadwrench

I am working in the Windows XP environment.

However, my materials are in various locations (though all properly noted in the relevant path fields).

WinUAE : C:\Program Files\WinUAE\
Gamebase Amiga: C:\Program Files\Gamebase\Gamebase Amiga\
The "Stuff": D:\Emulators\C=Amiga\

Old 28 May 2009, 00:37   #6
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

I've heard of problems with the script on Vista - which is what my laptop is - but none with XP.

When you click on a game do you get the extras up - i.e. gamescreen, instructions etc?

Dave G
Old 28 May 2009, 00:42   #7
DocBadwrench

I have confirmed that all the Extras open just fine. I can see box art, instructions, PDF's, you name it.... I just can't play the games yet. I'm sure we'll get to that some time in the future.

Old 28 May 2009, 00:52   #8
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Well I've sorted my little hiccup out.

Now lets try and sort yours out before I go to bed

Have you got Buggy Boy in your game list? If so what path is the file in?

Dave G

P.S. Have you looked at this thread http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=39347 ?

Last edited by davideo; 28 May 2009 at 01:04. Reason: Extra information added
Old 28 May 2009, 02:45   #9
DocBadwrench

Hey Dave,

Thanks for offering to help! I've located Buggy Boy in my collection.

It lives here:
D:\Emulators\C=Amiga\Games\B\

and is called:
Buggy Boy.zip

I am seeing the same problem: the emulator asks for a Workbench disk.

Oh, and I have visited that page. Thanks. Time to scratch the noodle some more.

Old 28 May 2009, 16:08   #10
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

This thread http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43998 talks about not be able to run zipped adfs under GameBase and Winuae. Look from post 6 onwards.

I've not had this problem myself but it sounds very much like yours

Dave G
Old 28 May 2009, 19:54   #11
DocBadwrench

That was exactly the problem. Thanks so much for your research. It was such a little thing but oh how it made a difference.

Now for my next problem: getting the games to run at a decent speed on this netbook (which might be more difficult ). I've got a EeePC 1000HE (Intel Atom N280 @ 1.66Ghz with 2GB of Ram).

I wonder, do you happen to know what the quickest Amiga emulator out there is? I may need to relegate my Amiga emulating to my primary home PC.

Thanks again for your help. This is great!

Old 28 May 2009, 20:14   #12
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

No problems - pleased I was able to help you.

The best Amiga emulator in my opinion is WinUae.

It's got the most options for speed etc.

Or do you mean Workbench environment for the Amiga?

Dave G
Old 28 May 2009, 20:22   #13
DocBadwrench

Nope, you got it right. I will play with the WinUAE settings to see if I can't squeeze out some additional performance from this PC. I'm excited about playing Shadow of the Beast and Lemmings again.

Thanks!

Old 29 May 2009, 00:08   #14
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Have fun - you'll enjoy yourself

Dave G