English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Looking for a game name ?

Old 07 May 2016, 00:58   #1
Titler
Zone Friend

Ultra Obscure Educational Game From Childhood - Just Because I Want To Bend Your Mind

I'm bored, I've not posted here for aaaages, and I don't know what to say if I did! So here's a hard game search for you!

I remember long fun afternoons being allowed to stay in the computer lab at secondary school just playing games for fun outside of lectures; the date would be somewhere between 1986 to 1991, the game I remember was probably from the earlier date, or long before. The school used BBC machines, I remember playing Archimedes versions of Zarch and Lemmings... but I'm guessing this was on the BBC micro as I remember a poor, green screen kind of display.

Are you ready for the huge amount of identifying details?! It was some simple, text based crop growing educational thing, I think. All I can remember is it had 4 fields, and it was supposed to teach you about crop rotation around the 4, but all you had to do was grow grass in every field every time for maximum profit. That's it, that's all that stuck with me! My first experience of power gaming outside the set rules... Anyone recall what game it might have been?!
Old 07 May 2016, 03:12   #2
markpjd
Games-Coffer

Kingdom, or Yellow River Kingdom?

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 07 May 2016, 03:13   #3
Marcuz

uhm, was there any graphic? If not, I remember playing a game like that where you just imputed numbers, for food / resources amounts to get the ecosystem balanced; It was for DOS, around 1988, name was - probably - Bobo
Old 07 May 2016, 04:16   #4
Amiganiac73

Corn Cropper ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	corn_cropper.png
Views:	285
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	48393  
Old 08 May 2016, 17:48   #5
Titler
Zone Friend

Hey all; it's none of the games listed so far, although my memory is closest in style to Corn Cropper, with simple text inputs. That just seems to be involving Buy/Irrigate/Plant, but in my memory you specifically had fields you had to choose, and rotate different crop types in. And the important thing was to choose Grass. You cannot choose Grass here, and after all these years, I want to be a child again and choose grass, Grass, GRAAASSS! Anyone know what game I could possibly be remembering?
Old 08 May 2016, 20:58   #6
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titler View Post
And the important thing was to choose Grass. You cannot choose Grass here, and after all these years, I want to be a child again and choose grass, Grass, GRAAASSS! Anyone know what game I could possibly be remembering?
Smokin' da Reefa
Old 08 May 2016, 21:25   #7
Amiganiac73

Lol
Old 08 May 2016, 21:29   #8
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Farm Resources Game? (sorry, no screenshot)
Old 10 May 2016, 01:09   #9
Titler
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett View Post
Farm Resources Game? (sorry, no screenshot)
Hmm! This may be a potential lead! I can't find the ROM online, but according to this thread I found googling the software company, Nottingham County Council distributed educational discs that their software was part of, so that might be how my secondary school had it. So it could be Farm Resources Game!

Now to continue tracking it down, just in case...
Old 10 May 2016, 09:59   #10
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Good luck in finding it, there seems to be quite a few BBC Micro games that are missing from the wild, especial educational titles..