English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 18 January 2015, 22:37   #1
Der_Richter

Super slow Lion King

Been looking at playing some Lion King AGA but it is just so slow to play that it hurts. I don't recall this being the case back in the day? I tried to run it on A1200 cycle exact in WinUAE and it is 5 fps max. So then i moved to WHDLoad and real hardware (A1200 w/ ACA1232 28MHz. 030 and 128Mb. FAST), but to my horror the same thing was there. So i tried the disk version on a bog standard A1200 and it was even slower. Is my memory so faded that i don't remember this or is there something else going on. In short - One emulated and two physical machines all show the same total slowdowns in Lion King AGA. Is this really normal?

Old 18 January 2015, 23:53   #2
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

It should look like this: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 January 2015, 08:04   #3
Der_Richter

Well, then i can clearly say none of my versions look that fluid

On the other hand, i can get it to be by setting WinUAE to "fastest possible" speed. Then it is smooth as silk of course... But on cycle exact it is a stutter fest unless i get it ramped up to emulate at least 30MHz. or so CPU.

Same thing on real hardware. The WHDLoad-version is faster on my 060 A4000, but not free of slowdown. On the A1200 @ 28MHz. it is very slow. On the full standard A1200 it is unplayable (on real hw as well, using disk version).

Since it happens on real hardware as well this is a bit annoying... Otherwise i could have fended it off as emulation issues, but on three different real setups i have the same issue... Weird. Bad ADF-source? Only thing i can think of.

Old 19 January 2015, 10:43   #4
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Try purchase an orginal copy off ebay and test that. I remember playing it on original hardware years ago as a kid and it seemed ok apart from the occasional slowdown on level 2.
Old 19 January 2015, 11:11   #5
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Try purchase an orginal copy off ebay and test that. I remember playing it on original hardware years ago as a kid and it seemed ok apart from the occasional slowdown on level 2.
Original is unprotected
Old 19 January 2015, 15:01   #6
Der_Richter

Can someone try it for me on original hw as well? I have seen that more AGA titles are giving me slowdown in WHDLoad (such as Trolls), on my accelerated Amiga. But in the Lion King case it also slows to a crawl on my unexpanded machine, eliminating the probable issues with the ACA1232.

Tried a new set of disks (copied from a friend, from physical diskset). Same issues.

Both video and sound slows down heavily.

Old 19 January 2015, 15:24   #7
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Game speed looks fine on my A1200+ACA 1230. But something is wrong with the WHDLoad version. Every 5-10 seconds or so the scrolling jitters, maybe dropping a few fps? In WinUAE+cycle exact CPU/Chipset game speed is normal too. Though the scrolling jitter is still there.

Edit: Just tried the IPF in WinUAE. Also fine, and i assume the problematic scrolling is normal when you jump (vertical scrolling problem?)

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 19 January 2015 at 15:39.
Old 19 January 2015, 22:19   #8
Der_Richter

Ok. Tried it on a friends machine as well. Bog standard A1200 without any extras. Loaded the games i had problems with on his machine... Turns out the abysmal scrolling and slowdown is there on his machine as well.

Also the Trolls slowdown is there on his machine too, as well as Aladdin. Everytime there are sprites moving it stutters a bit and slows down. Both on his machines and mine.

Lion king is very obviously the same on both his standard machine and my machines...

So my conclusion is that the game really is this jerky unless you have something like 30Mhz.+ or use WinUAE? Tried on different WinUAE install on a different PC as well... Same slowdowns.

So i tried with some other AGA games on WHDLoad (like Soccer Kid and Super Stardust) that i had lying around on the drive, using the ACA1232 A1200 and those showed no issues at all. So my initial suspiscion of some sort of timing issue seems not correct.

Maybe i have become sensitive to this with age? But it is SLOW with caps. Real slow.

And you can see on the youtube vids as well that it is super slow in places and the scrolling is horrible. I looked at some, to confirm.

Also tried Fastest Possible timing in UAE and it is the same. Probably it's always been like this, but my memories have distorted it so i remembered it as super smooth. Shame.

Maybe i confused it with the Mega Drive version...

Last edited by TCD; 12 April 2015 at 21:53. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.

Old 19 January 2015, 22:56   #9
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The Mega Drive version is very smooth, no scrolling problems. Aladdin AGA is a 25 FPS game like Gods, Ruff'n Tumble or Wolfchild. There is nothing you can do.
Old 12 April 2015, 21:25   #10
_psy

if you put Aladdin and Gods in NTSC mode the gameplay is fluid ,tried it with whdload tooltype but the screen is off center :/