English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Gaming

Old 16 April 2019, 19:48   #1
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Elite Dangerous

After playing it a bit 3 years ago, where I left with about 10 mil funds and 3 ships, I restarted playing it again.

At first it took a bit to get used back to controls and setup Voice Attack, ED Discovery (still didn't setup ED Engineering, will do that probably next week) and just after a week of playing managed to make about 100 mil per session doing core mining.

Got few more ships for different purposes, like taxi and resource search, but still did not get any of big ships.

Game changed quite a bit and it is much better then when I played it last time, and they will have new changes in about a week, that should help even more new players.

I really enjoy visuals and details in this game.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AspX-1.png
Views:	39
Size:	610.1 KB
ID:	62813   Click image for larger version

Name:	V359320_screenshots_20190415214601_1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	645.1 KB
ID:	62814  
Old 17 April 2019, 00:21   #2
jmmijo

Thanks for the feedback, I've not touched it since I first purchased it so MAY look into it again.
Old 17 April 2019, 15:47   #3
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

No problem, let me know how you like it.

Just bit over 2 hours yesterday and got biggest single payout in ED - 157 mil.

Just that single payload was enough to get Python and equip it for mining. Will probably take 2-3 more of there to get Elite status in trading. New ship has better maneuverability, but shorter jump range (takes longer to get where you going), but most importantly, twice storage and with fuel scoop you can get anywhere you like to go.

For this weekend planning to get upgrade for FDE (improves jump range).

I am amazed at online resources for this game. ED Discover can sand data to couple of sites where it syncs price, data about stars and your info including ships and route - so you can plan upgrade on site and can give you closest place where to get those components, or in case of mining, where to sell for best price. 2 extra jumps make difference of 20-30 mil per load.

https://eddb.io/

https://inara.cz/

https://www.edsm.net/

https://coriolis.io/

http://edtools.ddns.net/expl.php?

https://github.com/EDDiscovery/EDDiscovery/releases

Picture of White Dwarf star - don't fly close to it, as components get effected by its radiation. Also, new Python.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019-04-17 09_48_27-Steam Community __ SuperFrog __ Friend Activity.png
Views:	15
Size:	835.0 KB
ID:	62821   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-04-17 09_49_13-Steam Community __ SuperFrog __ Friend Activity.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	62822  

Last edited by Anubis; 17 April 2019 at 15:54.
Old 17 April 2019, 16:50   #4
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Voice attack (only 10 bucks if you already don't have it) - great software that you can use for more then Elite Dangerous. It is a must, and make whole game more fun.

As for voice packs, I use free KICS, they sell some good ones, including one done by William Shatner.

[ Show youtube player ]

Also, here is video I followed once I restarted game.

[ Show youtube player ]

There are couple youtubers who explain every little thing regarding game into details.
Old Yesterday, 10:13   #5
Hedeon
Sonnet Hacker

You almost made me play it again. Sadly, the launcher insist to downloading the update to C (the game is installed on H) so that design flaw pissed me off so much (including a 404 error in the launcher screen) that I shelved it again.

Sad.
Old Yesterday, 11:29   #6
Dunny

The biggest thing in terms of enjoyment and QoL that I bought for E was the Oculus Rift. Good god, that game has been well-written for VR. It's stunning.
Old Yesterday, 13:11   #7
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I can just imagine....

Only extra thing I got for ED - Saitek X52 HOTAS. While you can somewhat play game with gamepad, mouse is a big no. HOTAS controller on the other hand makes game much more enjoyable.

@Hedeon - sorry to hear that. I heard some folks had issue with starting game since they made changes to game launcher in preparation for next update in week.

Biggest change in next update that will effect all players -ships will have landing and taking off computer - not sure if all of them will have it, but smaller definitely will. Also small ships will get 2 small internals, while large ships will get only 1.

2 more screenshots - my favorite light fighter - Viper Mk3, setup just for bounty hunting in extraction sites, and made it before weekend - first Elite rank - in trading. (thanks to mining )

ps. Check ship name
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	359320_screenshots_20190417231727_1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	506.4 KB
ID:	62827   Click image for larger version

Name:	359320_screenshots_20190417221220_1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	484.7 KB
ID:	62828  

Last edited by Anubis; Yesterday at 13:17.
Old Yesterday, 18:52   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

You make it sound so appealing, having to buy all these extras to play a game
Old Yesterday, 19:06   #9
Dunny

I play on keys, no mouse - using WASDRF for thrusters and cursors for yaw/roll. It's a little awkward in the Rift, but you soon get used to it. Being sat inside the ship - simply being there, seeing in person just how bloody HUGE everything is.

Mind blowing. Also, combat is more fun with being able to track enemy ships by eye rather than chasing them with your ship controls makes it much more immersive.
Old Yesterday, 19:34   #10
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
You make it sound so appealing, having to buy all these extras to play a game

Don't tell me you don't have better HOTAS. Not required, but it plays much better that way.

Come on, this has to get you wondering what is there to be seen...

[ Show youtube player ]

Wonder if any of planets looks like boing ball. 400 billion stars, each can have multiple planets and those can have multiple satellites, orbital stations...etc.

As for Oculus Rift - I would need better PC to run RIFT with it. Here is Obsidian Ant reviewing it, and it is really interesting.

[ Show youtube player ]

Also Rift + Voice Attack:

[ Show youtube player ]

BTW, game is on sale - 10.49 for game itself, 20.99 for Commander pack (Includes Horizon Season Pack - which allows you to land on non-atmospheric planets. It also includes couple of skins for Sidewinder and Viper iirc.

Last edited by Anubis; Yesterday at 23:46.
Old Yesterday, 23:27   #11
Daedalus

I haven't played it in a little while (not for any Elite-related reason, haven't played much of any game due to a lack of free time), but every time I read about it I wanna get stuck in again! It's certainly much, much easier to make money nowadays, so you get a lot more people in the bigger ships. So tempted to whip out the HOTAS again now! Pretty sure I had around 100 million in assets and a few modestly engineered ships when I parked up about 2 years ago...

If anyone's thinking of buying it now, don't bother with just the base game as you'll be wanting the Horizons content before very long at all!
Old Today, 12:50   #12
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I haven't played it in a little while (not for any Elite-related reason, haven't played much of any game due to a lack of free time), but every time I read about it I wanna get stuck in again! It's certainly much, much easier to make money nowadays, so you get a lot more people in the bigger ships.
That would be about right assessment. I just broke first billion after full load of opal (~312mil + 10 mil in refinery) and now will work on couple of things - federation/empire rank and engineering main ship. Once done, will probably go to unlock guardian technology and last thing would be a long expedition in fully customized ship that can make ~70ly jumps.

In overall, game is still grind, but more interesting kind. Core mining is much more involving and watching asteroid explode never gets old.