English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 17 May 2011, 12:35   #41
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
I'm very proud to present my latest (mega) interview: Ian Moran. Ian worked at Special FX, who were renowned for their awesome Amiga specific games. He wrote one of my favourites, Midnight Resistance among others! Enjoy...
Thanks just printed it to read on the train.

Kamel
Old 17 May 2011, 15:51   #42
SyX

Fantastic Interview!!!

I really enjoyed how Ian talk about the extra effort put in make better Amiga version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Very nice interview - One thing I would have been curious to ask about is the Palette in Midnight Resistance I think this was assumed to be caused by converting from ST but this may not be the case?
I think that this is the answer that you are looking for:
Quote:
Do you have any photos from the Special FX days?

Unfortunately I don't have any office shots of Special FX, it was a great office to work in, but so dark, which I think effected the look and palette of our games back then.
Old 17 May 2011, 16:24   #43
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post

I think that this is the answer that you are looking for:
Quote:

Do you have any photos from the Special FX days?
Unfortunately I don't have any office shots of Special FX, it was a great office to work in, but so dark, which I think effected the look and palette of our games back then.
Thanks I must have missed that or disregard it, Its hard to belive this could affect the colour so much.
Although Midnight Resistance is a nice game I must admit the Palette did ruin it a bit for me luckly the updated WHDload patch by HH fixes this.
Old 17 May 2011, 20:05   #44
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Post Boo Boo's question

Boo Boo: I asked him about it anyway. His reply:

Quote:
Well the colour range would have been fine, I don’t think we wouldn’t have been able to ship with half intensity values, its amazing if peeps did ship with that limitation. All the graphics where developed on Amiga and DPaint, but as I mentioned the cave like environment that they were developed in meant that our games were generally dark.
Old 17 May 2011, 22:49   #45
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Thanks for your comments! The content management system I'm using has the ability to leave page comments, I'm not sure whether it's worth enabling them or not as they tend to get filled with spam no matter what you try. Any thoughts?
I'd leave them disabled. Spam is getting everywhere... wiki's, blog replies, Youtube Inboxes (not so much these days, thankfully) and PSN.

Quote:
Rob Northen seems to have vanished and hasn't responded to any follow-ups sadly.

I've put another interview online, this time Keith Watterson, the programmer behind the Amiga parts of the puzzler Pushover.

Cool, I loved that game. I haven't played it in ages though, as I'm too busy doing other things.

Awesome website too

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 17 May 2011, 22:56   #46
Codetapper

I've enabled comments on the interviews, no spam so far but I'll monitor it. I quite like seeing feedback especially from old developers!
Old 18 May 2011, 20:17   #47
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Nice one for asking
Old 18 May 2011, 20:34   #48
vroom6sri

I'm loving the interviews on this site. I understand little to nothing of the Techie bits but still find them fascinating to read. I hope the word spreads amongst the makers of the Amiga gaming gems and you get more and more of these interviews.

Thanks for your efforts.
Old 19 May 2011, 12:50   #49
kamelito
Zone Friend

How about an interview of Martin Pedersen and Torben Larsen, from Hybris and Battle Squadron fame. Their busy finalizing the iOS version of BS, but they might have some time to answers.
cope-com.com

Kamel
Old 19 May 2011, 15:10   #50
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Interesting interviews, keep them coming!
Old 23 May 2011, 13:40   #51
Codetapper

I'd like to introduce another absolute legend to the interviews section: Ronald Pieket Weeserik. Most famous for the game SWIV among many others! A fascinating insight if I do say so myself! :-)

I have found out information about the SWIV title bar problem and will publish an article about that at some point, but I thought I'd release the interview now rather than waiting!
Old 23 May 2011, 14:56   #52
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
I have found out information about the SWIV title bar problem
It uses an undocumented feature, BPLCON 2 contains in "illegal" value for the playfield priorities which results in only color #16 (=5th plane) being displayed.
Old 23 May 2011, 15:19   #53
WayneK

That was a great interview (Ronald), very interesting... always loved SWIV and Rodland especially!
More interviews please
Old 23 May 2011, 16:45   #54
SyX

Wonderful Interview!!!
Old 24 May 2011, 08:14   #55
demoniac

That interview was very interesting. You question regarding SWIV acronym/name reminded me of a friend mentioning Silkworm III mentioned in a magazine. I think this was before SWIV came out about. Maybe it was a demo or something, but I never found anything more regarding it.

Also not sure what Ron meant about The Ninja Warriors on 1 disk, but maybe he meant the crack release had a boot disk and the data ran off the second?
Old 24 May 2011, 12:28   #56
Codetapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
It uses an undocumented feature, BPLCON 2 contains in "illegal" value for the playfield priorities which results in only color #16 (=5th plane) being displayed.
Indeed. The actual bug and the way Harry fixed it for WHDLoad was very clever considering it's almost like patching a dynamically created copperlist! I will write an article about it when I have some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneK View Post
That was a great interview (Ronald), very interesting... always loved SWIV and Rodland especially!
More interviews please
There are a few more in the pipeline but they take quite a lot of time as you can imagine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoniac View Post
Also not sure what Ron meant about The Ninja Warriors on 1 disk, but maybe he meant the crack release had a boot disk and the data ran off the second?
I don't think Ron's memory of that is 100% (however it is 20 years ago!) because the only way I can see that you could pack it down to 1 disk would be to leave off a lot of the speech or something.

There seems to be no 1 disk versions in TOSEC either. Maybe another version was compressed to 1 disk or an incomplete crack was released? Who knows...
Old 24 May 2011, 14:17   #57
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I'm only aware of the Quartex version that had a boot disk and then mostly ran from Disk 2.
Old 24 May 2011, 21:13   #58
demoniac

Quote:
I don't think Ron's memory of that is 100% (however it is 20 years ago!)
It's quite understandable if he doesn't remember everything since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I'm only aware of the Quartex version that had a boot disk and then mostly ran from Disk 2.
Yeah, that's the version I was referring to. I remember many people swapping it at the copy meets.
Old 25 May 2011, 01:14   #59
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Thing is, Rons surprise at the cracks being a 'normal disk format'...... what else would they be?
Old 25 May 2011, 18:41   #60
crabfists

I am loving these interviews. Thanks for all the work you are putting into this Codetapper.

ps Just curious, do the interviews take place by email/IM/in person? Email I presume?