The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
thats a lot of chip ram
Old 22 February 2010, 21:35   #42
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryCase View Post
I remember reading that WHDload needed an AGA machine to run, does this new core mean WHDload will work, or does the missing 020 still rule that out?
I have WHDLoad running on my A600 and it's fine But my A600 has 2mb chip and 2mb fast ram installed... Which helps alot Some games still take a while to load though.
Old 22 February 2010, 23:01   #43
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

My old A500 had a fair amount of Ram as well (and an 020 accelerator)
Old 22 February 2010, 23:33   #44
CFou!

i confirme it

whdload can run on 68000.

but some interesting features are not supported (VBR relocation, mmu,...) and is better to have some extra-memory...

of course games using 68020's code (or better) can't be run...
Old 23 February 2010, 08:37   #45
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

It's getting clearer, I think... I hope
Still what about screen handling? can it be, or will it be fixed? it's too pc-ish, at least for my eyes...
On the other hand, if I want to buy a board, how can I do it to get the most out of it, with the less problems? (like an average user.) I don't want to have trouble with firmwares, etc. Or Acube delivers them with the latest firmware?
Old 23 February 2010, 08:55   #46
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The FPGA on MiniMig v1.1 PCB from Acube is reportadly too small for Yaqube's new AGA core.
Old 23 February 2010, 12:10   #47
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

It just seems the Minimig costs far too much to even consider buying over a real A1200... It still seems to be in the beta development stages after reading all the pros and cons and to me it's not worth the money

And if people go on about it's small size then why not just buy an A600... it's small and has the keyboard + floppy drive built in along with a real ECS chipset. It's also easy to add a hard drive/CF card/ram expansion... All this will be cheaper to buy than a complete (but crippled) Minimig
Old 23 February 2010, 12:23   #48
tonyyeb
Has the Amiga bug again

Send a message via MSN to tonyyeb
The new fpgarcade should make things more appealing with the selection of systems to choose from along with the enhanced Amiga capabilities over the Minimig.
Old 23 February 2010, 13:25   #49
Paul_s

Cool but too expensive.... You can buy a new A1200 for less! (okay maybe a bit more if you decide on a non-stock system).
Old 23 February 2010, 14:01   #50
tonyyeb
Has the Amiga bug again

Send a message via MSN to tonyyeb
Do we have a price?? I've not seen one mentioned? Link please if someone wouldn't mind!
Old 23 February 2010, 15:59   #51
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Cool but too expensive.... You can buy a new A1200 for less! (okay maybe a bit more if you decide on a non-stock system).
Errrmm.. new? it is not in production, so you can buy 16 yrs old hw (maybe unused) Then try to find some expansion with the same conditions.
Price always was an issue with Amiga HWs, I clearly remember. in the golden era my Amiga 500 was available for 46000 HUF. 6 yrs later, my salary was 24000 HUF (!)
Fresh hw, nice design, good features. and if once it will be available with direct order w/ all the features what an Amigan needs, it will worth the money.
Awaiting the moment when there will be some additional connectors, like ethernet, and so on. Just that screen flickering issue...:P
Old 23 February 2010, 16:15   #52
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds View Post
Errrmm.. new? it is not in production, so you can buy 16 yrs old hw (maybe unused)
New old stock A1200's over at Amigakit.com: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=668

New and unused (may have been around for 16 years but still new and untouched to me )
Old 23 February 2010, 16:28   #53
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

So more than a decade old but unused electronic components versus dozen of months old stuffs. I have a nice collections with original hw, but luckily mostly all operates in acceptable manner. Severe Amigas have been rebuilt by me, recently I'm working on 2 Amiga 500s. Dead A1200 DF0, dead A4000 sound, strange failure on my third A4000 mobo, etc. I'd like to see some refreshing air in this line, and Minimig is a good alternative.
Not perfect yet, but good. Till we can have Natami, for example. Hopefully it will deliver it's promises.
Old 23 February 2010, 18:03   #54
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds View Post
So more than a decade old but unused electronic components versus dozen of months old stuffs. I have a nice collections with original hw, but luckily mostly all operates in acceptable manner. Severe Amigas have been rebuilt by me, recently I'm working on 2 Amiga 500s. Dead A1200 DF0, dead A4000 sound, strange failure on my third A4000 mobo, etc. I'd like to see some refreshing air in this line, and Minimig is a good alternative.
Not perfect yet, but good. Till we can have Natami, for example. Hopefully it will deliver it's promises.
I wouldn't say no to one if I had the cash - I know how flaky old Amiga hardware can be (especially the later AGA stuff with corners cut ).

Then again why bother when we have WinUAE..... too many bloody options!
Old 23 February 2010, 18:38   #55
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiriad View Post
* CPU 68000 (68010+ is recommended because some installs require the VBR for the 'quit by a key' feature)
So I suppose, since they currently only have a 68000 core (albeit a FAST and full 32 bit one), would it be possible to add the VBR or would that be much more complicated and might as well wait for a 680x0 core, where x <> 0?

I was surprised to see some AGA games running, but apparently those games didn't use any 68020 specific instructions. I wonder how common that is?

It's definitely an interesting project to watch..

(edit) also, the price bit.. Of course, there are no prices yet..
I have seen the number 200 Euros in a forum as a possible ("should be under" kind of quote).
That sounds like a fair amount, but when you compare it to an accelerated Amiga 1200 with lots of RAM and VGA output, that's pretty comparable...

desiv
Old 01 March 2010, 03:17   #56
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
So I suppose, since they currently only have a 68000 core (albeit a FAST and full 32 bit one), would it be possible to add the VBR or would that be much more complicated and might as well wait for a 680x0 core, where x <> 0?

I was surprised to see some AGA games running, but apparently those games didn't use any 68020 specific instructions. I wonder how common that is?

I have seen the number 200 Euros in a forum as a possible ("should be under" kind of quote).
That sounds like a fair amount, but when you compare it to an accelerated Amiga 1200 with lots of RAM and VGA output, that's pretty comparable...

desiv
Dont forget as well, the scandoubler needs to be purchased for the A1200 as well before you can compare the two side by side.., not only VGA output, but the Scandoubler as well.

Add to that, DVI output (So you can convert it to HDMI) for HDTV setup.
Old 01 March 2010, 03:43   #57
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteb View Post
Dont forget as well, the scandoubler needs to be purchased for the A1200 as well before you can compare the two side by side.., not only VGA output, but the Scandoubler as well.

Add to that, DVI output (So you can convert it to HDMI) for HDTV setup.
My bad..
I meant a scandoubler for VGA for the Amiga.
I don't consider that little dongle for going to VGA, but only to use the double modes as an upgrade.. :-)

desiv
Old 01 March 2010, 04:35   #58
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post

desiv
Although it might launch with an 68000 'softcore' they are working on a 68030 softcore

Also you will be able to attach a daughter-board if you want more power...eg a real 68030 or even a 68060. When they perfect the soft-cores, I think they plan to produce a new faster board with just the sorted softcores

This thing gets more and more interesting. I think we might have something very 'Natami' like in our hands by the end of the year

Last edited by NovaCoder; 01 March 2010 at 04:42.
Old 01 March 2010, 07:52   #59
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Although it might launch with an 68000 'softcore' they are working on a 68030 softcore

Also you will be able to attach a daughter-board if you want more power...eg a real 68030 or even a 68060. When they perfect the soft-cores, I think they plan to produce a new faster board with just the sorted softcores

This thing gets more and more interesting. I think we might have something very 'Natami' like in our hands by the end of the year
That is the thing though isnt it....., I wont get in to the NatAmi argument as to weather it is really happening or not, but if it IS.., progress slow enough and someone will come out with a product that is equal, quicker and cheaper.
Old 03 March 2010, 14:15   #60
Paul_s

You will most likely die of old age waiting for the Natami. Minimig v2 is more likely... although I would like to think one of us will win the lottery so we can self-fund an old ex-Commodore employee (Dave Haynie) to build something for us

Dave would probably build a new Amiga from the ground up for $500,000 call it the Amiga 500++ and just acts a drop in board