English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 November 2014, 23:16   #81
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

i might but it will have to wait until next year, when i get my accelerator fixed. and i'm going to try to get Mr Beanbag finished first, which i was going to do this summer before my accelerator stopped working
Old 05 September 2015, 19:22   #82
gururise

Anyone still thinking of a Terraria remake on Amiga? I think it should be possible if reduced world sizes and a few other things are taken into account.

Old 05 September 2015, 21:02   #83
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Not a chance, there's way too much going on under the hood for an A500. I'd hazard a guess that even the A4000 would severely struggle to run it.
I think Dunny is up to something here. There seems to be a huge amount of cross-linked data happening at once in the place. Then again I wouldn't know for sure, but perhaps there would be massive memory and processing speed constrains. At first look it seems it could be a problem. Of course making it look the way it does would be possible (I always thought Terraria looked absolutely dismal) but the underlying work is what should be taken into account and it does look massive. As Dunny said, every single block has information that creates a tree of data that spirals really deep.

This game shouldn't be judged by its overly simplistic looks.
Old 05 September 2015, 22:12   #84
zerohour1974

If given a choice I would rather see a Starbound version rather than Terraria demake. But I do think it would need an A1200 at least.
Old 05 September 2015, 23:52   #85
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I think Dunny is up to something here. There seems to be a huge amount of cross-linked data happening at once in the place. Then again I wouldn't know for sure, but perhaps there would be massive memory and processing speed constrains. At first look it seems it could be a problem. Of course making it look the way it does would be possible (I always thought Terraria looked absolutely dismal) but the underlying work is what should be taken into account and it does look massive. As Dunny said, every single block has information that creates a tree of data that spirals really deep.

This game shouldn't be judged by its overly simplistic looks.
I sincerely hope you meant "onto something" there I'm really not up to anything right now.

It's the same with Minecraft. Yes, it's written in Java and that's not a swift language to code in. But the amount of calculation that goes into each and every frame, despite the rudimentary graphics (which really aren't, they just appear that way) it can drag even a modern PC to its knees very easily.

Why just a couple of months ago someone managed to figure out how to use a 3D floodfill algorithm to remove non-visible blocks - that algorithm is run every single frame, and saves a huge amount of processing.

Just because it looks like a game the Amiga could do doesn't mean that it is.

Terraria light would be fun for a few minutes, but seeing as how I can traverse the entire map (at small size on the PC version) in a few minutes, any map that the Amiga can handle would get very dull very quickly indeed.

That said, I'd be interested to see a version for the miggy. I'd be very interested to see what sacrifices had to be made, and whether or not there was a game left at the end of it.

D.
Old 06 September 2015, 05:43   #86
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
I sincerely hope you meant "onto something" there I'm really not up to anything right now.
Go ahead, make fun of the foreigner!
Old 06 September 2015, 09:54   #87
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Go ahead, make fun of the foreigner!
Hmm, Boston MA. Yup, foreign right there

Well. Technically, I suppose.

D.
Old 07 September 2015, 12:09   #88
jamielemon
Zone Friend

I think the whole premise of this thread is plain crazy!
I play Terraria on consoles, mobiles and PC heavily and have done for a few years.

It looks very simple but in reality the game world is one of the most complex I have ever seen in a video game, perhaps with the exception of Minecraft - I wouldn't know though as I've never played Minecraft.

The game constantly tracks the state of a massive, proceduraly generated world in real time. It would probably take a stock A500 weeks just to carry out the maths required to generate the world. Once it's generated the entire world is stored in memory during gameplay, and constantly updated in real time to cope with changes to the terrain made by the player and the game's automated procedures like fluid dynamics and corruption.

On top of that the engine throws around hundreds of objects (enemies, projectiles and items) at a time - check out youtube videos of people who have hacked/modded the game (though still running on the same engine) to see what it is capable of - 100s of players simultaneously existing and interacting in the world, for example.

Sure the crafting system is fairly straighforward, and the mapping system COULD be replicated, with enough RAM and processing power, but you need something far outclassing an A500 to do it. In my opinion it would be easier to port something like a modern Call of Duty than Terraria, despite the apparently "primitive" look of Terraria.
Old 07 September 2015, 12:26   #89
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

ok so this thread's back again!

it's true to say that we shouldn't judge this game just by its graphics, obviously there is a lot going off underneath, but i feel you are not thinking outside of the box enough. We don't need to create a "port" of Terraria. We only need to create the illusion of Terraria, or an acceptable simplification of it. There is no need to store the entire map in RAM, for instance, since only a small portion of it will have been directly modified by the user at any time, and anything that happens a long way away can be done much more crudely, and less often, deferring details until the player actually goes there.
Old 07 September 2015, 13:36   #90
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

The question is, how many things can you remove until it doesn't have anything to do with Terraria anymore except a resemblance on graphics?

Porting a game implies keeping at least most of the core mechanics intact, and those core mechanics along with their physics are exactly why Terraria would be a massive effort (if not outright impossible) on an Amiga.
Old 07 September 2015, 14:23   #91
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

yes the first thing we'll have to do is stop calling it a "Port of Terraria" because it would only result in unrealistic expectations.
Old 07 September 2015, 15:13   #92
OldB0y

I'm no programmer, but I do know it was possible to squeeze Exile onto a 32k BBC B - which included speech, thrust like physics and loads of other effects, including spilling water. The same team then managed to squeeze most of it onto the Acorn Electron.

As such I suspect a passable version of this game could be achieved on an A500.
Old 08 September 2015, 12:51   #93
Devlin
Bane of Magic

I reckon it'd be more than possible to do Terraria. If the Amiga can do Worms It's not that much further of a push to do some kind of 2d creative type game like Terraria. Cut down world size, reduce physics detail, it'd work on a 1MB A500. Storage is what I'd consider more of an issue, really. It'd be HD only, I reckon.
Old 08 September 2015, 13:18   #94
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldB0y View Post
I'm no programmer
Quote:
As such I suspect a passable version of this game could be achieved on an A500.
Well, how about you start learning how to program, and amaze us
Old 08 September 2015, 19:40   #95
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

At the end a dynamic map is not that different from a Boulder Dash level, given a buffer of the right size...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 September 2015, 20:47   #96
Bastich

As much as I love my Amiga's I do not think it could ever move this amount of graphics around the screen. Not to mention the other simpler boss fights such as the destroyer. The Moonlord basically is as big as the screen, animated and in addition to the rest of the whole game which is still running. This is were I am at in Terraria atm (not my video).

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 September 2015, 21:55   #97
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastich View Post
As much as I love my Amiga's I do not think it could ever move this amount of graphics around the screen.
As said by Mrs Beanbag, there would be no point in a 1:1 conversion, but there could be chances to create a Terraria-like (is that better?) experience in the Amiga.
Whoever, if anyone, would want to do this, would have to extract from Terraria what would be the essence of the game.
I don't even understand this game (I don't like these sandbox games like Minecraft), so I couldn't tell, but perhaps someone with both experience with it AND Amiga programming skills could do it.

Is a huge-ass boss and a million objects on-screen at once the core, the spirit of the game? I would think not. but again, I can't tell for sure.

Last edited by Amiga1992; 09 September 2015 at 07:16.
Old 08 September 2015, 22:34   #98
nobody

Starbound looks like a much better game.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 September 2015, 23:32   #99
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

a huge-ass boss is not a problem in any case, it could be done just with Dual Playfield
Old 09 September 2015, 00:36   #100
Sephnroth

this thread made me watch a lets play of terraria so I could ponder it. As people have already said a 1:1 is not really going to happen but you could certainly do SOMETHING decent.

I'd probably start with a basic miner like miner dig deep ( [ Show youtube player ]) which is a pretty darn fun game to start with. Then i'd just see how much I can add to it before things fall apart

You'd need to heavily optimize and make sure you are only dealing with things near the player I think - it means the rest of the world cant tick without you but hey, 7mhz.