English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 30 January 2007, 14:57   #21
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Chrono Trigger, the best RPG on the SNES (or any other console at the time), Zelda wasn't.
Woohoo! Couldn't agree more! I never owned a SNES (and it wasn't released in this country anyway) but I did play it a few years ago using Snes9x. I have never played any game as much as that in years. It's simply stunning, and it just decimates all your free time. I was a bit pissed off cos I never did complete it and lost all my save positions. That game is frickin' HUGE!

Secret of Mana is also pretty good.

Last edited by Steve; 30 January 2007 at 15:06.
Old 02 February 2007, 12:21   #22
Legerdemain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Chrono Trigger, the best RPG on the SNES (or any other console at the time), Zelda wasn't.
A rather subjective statement, don't you think? Besides, A Link to the Past could never be the best RPG on the system since it is an action/adventure.

I have never understood the magic of Chrono Trigger. I have played it several times, but never played it through. Not that I find it being a bad game, or anything the like, it just doesn't get me hooked.

As much of a cliché it may sound... but besides the arrival of Mega Man one cold christmas... my intensive first one-week long run-through of A Link to the Past has never been matched in terms of sheer game play excitement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Secret of Mana is also pretty good.
I find Secret of Mana offering a rather non-finished gameplay... not only was nearly half of the game canned when Nintendo withdrew from the Sony Playstation add-on to the SNES (which I think becomes painfully obvious as the story has more loose ends and holes in the storyline than I can think of), an add-on which the game originally was developed for... but also the AI is beyond what I can find acceptable; no matter how you configure your AI-controlled characters they will get stuck in things making you have to backtrack to get them free again and also they have a love of dying constantly, making things much harder than necessary. Another thing that can't have been put much effort into was the boss battles, since you simply can let your characters constantly throw magic attacks making the bosses not even having a chance of attacking until they are defeated... what joy to beat the later bosses in the game without having to lose any hit points during the fight. Also worth mentioning is the lousy and rushed one man, and one week short in terms of actual time spent on it, translation which eventually raised so much criticism that the man having done the translation had to leave Square. Well... while I am at it; the box says 80 hours game play while I say if you manage to not complete the game in less than 20 hours you are not really good at what you are playing.

All in all... I think Secret of Mana feels rushed and imcomplete with many faults, although certainly offering many hours of fun if being played with two friends, where each one is controlling their own character. However, Seiken Densetsu III (or Secret of Mana II, if you wish) adressed all of the problems in the original and is according to me amongst the finest of all of the action/RPG's to be found on the SNES... it is a shame one has to play the game emulated (or burned out on a SNES-cartridge with the translation patched in) to be able to get the non Japanese launguage based experience... why was it never released outside of Japan? Shame on Square!
Old 08 November 2014, 14:42   #23
s2325
Zone Friend

Preview version for OCS/ECS [ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 June 2015, 13:18   #24
s2325
Zone Friend

Main programmer youtube account https://www.youtube.com/user/cliveminni