English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 August 2003, 22:49   #1
Frootloop

PC Joysticks?

Are there any decent PC joysticks like the Competition Pro or the Slikstick (what I had for many years)? I'm don't want a converter that uses old joysticks but an actual PC one either for the gameport or (preferably) USB. I find playing Amiga games with my Gamepad Pro just doesn't feel right.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 12 August 2003, 16:03   #2
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Well, there exist PC versions of Competition Pro and also Quickshot joysticks, but they are hard to find and I have seen a Competiton Pro PC stick go for over 50$ on ebay !

However, I still have 2 Quickshot Python V PC digital sticks for sale. It looks and feels the exactly the same like the Amiga/C64 version of the QS Python, except as that it is white instead of black and has a PC gameport connector.

If you are interested then I can send you a picture of this stick. For 20 Euro/US$ it's yours.
Old 22 April 2005, 14:26   #3
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
The competition pro USB rocks!

Got two of 'em today and it's a pretty nice stick.

Like said over here before, the microswitches are a bit looser than on the original, but otherwise great stuff.

The four buttons are all separate and once autofire mode is switched on, you can press any one down and it will pulse.

Also the return spring is a little looser than the original Comp. Pros.

The original black ones had a stiff rubber ring, with the Star Extra ones it was a stiff steel spring.. This new USB model is a steel springed one too, but a little lighter.. No problem there.

Joy.
Old 22 April 2005, 14:52   #4
Phiber
Hardware Freak

Send a message via MSN to Phiber
Heh... you can get the Competition Pro's USB model from www.vesalia.de for 14,99

Hehe... so who's the fuckwad in Ebay that thinks they're worth $50?
I'd get two for that price... including shipping to finland!
Old 22 April 2005, 17:16   #5
oldpx

If you can trust vesalia that is.

Old 22 April 2005, 17:26   #6
Phiber
Hardware Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxscroll
If you can trust vesalia that is.
From what i've heard from other amiga-enthusiasts here in finland who have ordered a lot of their stuff from there, they are trustworthy... That's something i cannot say about those Ebay wankers...
Old 22 April 2005, 19:02   #7
Jope
-

18e apiece at pulju.net, where I ordered (though only for finns :-)

Prepayment drops the postage fee down to 5e so I decided not to bother with overseas ordering.
Old 22 April 2005, 19:49   #8
chocovla

Do those people actually have stock at the moment? I have ordered mine at a Dutch shop about 3 weeks ago and the stock date keeps moving. It has now even moved to the second week of May
Old 22 April 2005, 20:04   #9
dirkies
Zone Friend

I bought 2 at Vesalia last month, and they were delivered very fast (I'm in Luxembourg), so you can trust them! indeed 15 each. I think I'll add the rubber band myself, they feel a bit too loose to my taste compared with my Amiga counterparts. But otherwise superb joysticks. Now I got to have MAME working with them!
Old 22 April 2005, 20:50   #10
Jope
-

Dirkies, you probably can't add the rubber ring to these since the return spring assembly is a bit different between the two.

Tell us how it went, though.. (also, where will you take the rubber from?)
Old 22 April 2005, 22:48   #11
dirkies
Zone Friend

>where will you take the rubber from?

euh, from the pharmacy

I'll see where I can find something similar, I'm sure it can be made from some stuff, maybe cut one myself from a piece of rubber (?)

I'll see how exactly it looks from the inside, the joystick movement of my Ami Competition Pro is just more subtle, the USB version is more 'clicky' and the stick travels more to do the same sequence of 'clicks' compared with the Amiga ones I have since 1986!
Old 23 April 2005, 09:31   #12
Jope
-

Yeah, the USB version is closer to the Star Extra than the original Comp Pro.

I guess it's logical they took the molds for the "last evolution" instead of the original.. The Star Extra also has those triangle buttons, but they perform a different task.
Old 25 April 2005, 12:00   #13
moof

The Competition Pro is not that good IMHO. You can only effectively use one button. I'm using a SNES joypad on my PC (http://www.psxpad.com has a great driver for it, you need to build a simple adapter for the parallel port though). The SNES pad is the best joypad EVAR. Great for all emulators.

On the Amiga I use a Sega Arcade Power Stick. No microswitches, but still a great stick. Very sturdy. It also has three fire buttons. A lot of games support two buttons, some (e.g. Flashback) even support all three (you have to swap two wires in the stick for that, though). I used a Genesis pad, which is also pretty good, until I got the stick. Of course I have a Competition Pro floating around somewhere, but I never use it :P

Old 26 April 2005, 11:45   #14
Phiber
Hardware Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope
18e apiece at pulju.net, where I ordered (though only for finns :-)

Prepayment drops the postage fee down to 5e so I decided not to bother with overseas ordering.
Pulju you say? Gotta check it out...
Old 26 April 2005, 12:37   #15
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by moof
The Competition Pro is not that good IMHO. You can only effectively use one button.
You mean that there is a need for more than one?-)

Heh. I personally play C-64 games, Amiga games and arcade games using the Mame emulator.

The only place where I need to do configuration is in MAME, since I want to use as few buttons as possible.. Usually the jump button can be configured to joystick up etc, so I still use only "one firebutton".

Pads are nice for games that are designed for pad use, but at least I couldn't adjust to playing the games I play without a joystick.

This is so much a matter of personal preference, that I don't want to fight about it - these are only my reasons why I choose a joystick. The competition pro is the best stick I've ever played, so that's why I use and buy them. :-)

Last edited by Jope; 26 April 2005 at 12:43.
Old 30 April 2005, 21:13   #16
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

@Phiber:

Look at the date when I posted the message about the 50,- for a competition-pro with PC connector. It was 2 yeras ago, and there wasn't any Competition-Pro USB available back then !!!
Old 30 April 2005, 21:47   #17
chocovla

I'm afraid I'm going to have to wait 2 years before they start delivering my Competition Pro USB Still haven't heard from the supplier. Last I heard 16 May .
AdSense AdSense