English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 July 2008, 20:54   #1
dword

Amiga game reccomendations for me when my amiga comes?

Hiya ,

This is the first time in years I will have owned an amiga when it arrives and I have all the basic stuff I need for PC transfers. ANyway I am really into my RPGs and I was thinking what would be the best infocomm text game for me to play? I also plan to get hemdall 2 and I was just wandering what are the best games for me to get aside from these others as well that I plan to get

populous 2
Syndicate
Cannon fodder series games
silent hill + I may get elite 1 or 2+wings 2 + another world series(If anyone hasnt played this game I would recommend it)

Really looking forward to it!
Old 14 July 2008, 21:05   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Well for the RPG's :

Abandoned Places 1 & 2
Amberstar
Ambermoon
Black Crypt
Bloodwych
Crystal Dragon
Dark Queen of Krynn
Dungeon Master
Eye of the Beholder 1 & 2
Pools of Darkness
Realms of Arkania
Ultima VI
Whale's Voyage

Just to name a few

Btw : Silent Hill was never done for the Miggy
Old 14 July 2008, 21:14   #3
Yoto
1 Potato to Spam´em all!

Darkmere, Megalomania, Moonstone....ho! so many!
Old 14 July 2008, 21:20   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Here's a thread with many suggestions for good games on the Amgia : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=33637
Old 14 July 2008, 21:49   #5
twizzle

and for my recomendation`s

gods
settlers 1
wolfchild
turrican
another world
flashback
deepcore
pushover
titus the fox
to name but a few
Old 14 July 2008, 21:49   #6
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

Best Realtime RPG with 4-player simultaneous action: http://hol.abime.net/715

Best Turn-based RPG party game: http://hol.abime.net/3861

Best Infocom text-adventure: http://hol.abime.net/1643
Old 14 July 2008, 21:58   #7
jimbob005

Send a message via MSN to jimbob005
lemmings
im going to try and finish darkseed i like this game

if you want to look up a game or see a screen shot look in the hall of light at the top right of the forum

james
Old 14 July 2008, 23:31   #8
dword

Thanks all, btw I see Zork mentioned , maybe I will make that my first text game instead of lurking horror , all games I will aim to try also that turrican, Im sure thats in the extras games in the amiga Ive ordered.

One thing I noticed is

Total Chaos: Battle at the Frontier of Time

It says must be run from the hard drive. Theres no panic if I cant run this not having an amiga 1200 HDD yet but Im just wandering if it would be possible when I plug the 1gb flah card into the amiga if I can just run the game of that until I get an HDD? Either way its honestly no biggy Just trying to learn fast and I also managed to get a friend to secure an atari ste for me for £0.00 hehe this forum must be having an effect [Hes going to hunt it out from his attic!]

Anyway thanks for the input!

Wow actually I notice starflight 1 and 2 in these threads, theres a guy in his fifties I speak to on anothert forum who swears by those games so I tried it on the PC however the port was not so good but I see it mentioned the amiga version was vastly superior , so I will be sure to try that out!

Ow one other thing, 1 game I would like to get a hold off but not suyre if it got brought out on the amiga, its not werewolf boy but you walk about the streets ofr london and you turn into a werewolf at night and feed on civilians but you have to hide on the roofs and stuff from the police, does anyone know what the name of that game was ?

Last edited by dword; 15 July 2008 at 00:40.
Old 15 July 2008, 06:17   #9
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
I also managed to get a friend to secure an atari ste
You are getting a miggy, this is a waste of space if you ask me
Old 15 July 2008, 17:06   #10
dword

quite possibly! I like amigas way better but I figure its a waste just to leave it lying unused.
Old 15 July 2008, 17:17   #11
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dword View Post
One thing I noticed is

Total Chaos: Battle at the Frontier of Time

It says must be run from the hard drive.
I think what it means is "Game is to big to be run from floppies".

I must admit that an Amiga without a hard drive sounds weird but if you want to use a CF card it should work.
Old 15 July 2008, 19:28   #12
dword

ahh great!! , yeah its just for starting out , I can definatly see myself getting an HDD very soon after I get everything setup . Im just gonna try and learn as I go . Plus looking at all the stuff out there for the amiga I REALLY shouldnt have thrown my a500+ out and theres much worse I could be spending my cash on. (Im also going to use the amiga for learning purposes as after Ive had some fun with it I want to learn about the older architectures since I kinda missed out on some of that and now that Im trying to learn low lvl programming with PCs well alot of the newer architectures well they seem to have some roots from older architectures - I know PCs will probably be totally differant any many many respects but its good to know about other things as well )

Plus I would like to at some point learn more about the amiga filesystem and programming in the amiga in general so its gonna be fun but first I need to get a clue about the amiga machines again.
Old 15 July 2008, 22:21   #13
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dword View Post
silent hill
Good luck getting the Amiga version of Silent Hill.
Old 16 July 2008, 03:43   #14
Photon

Yeah, Lemmings and Worms And give Gravity-Force a try, if you drop the joystick and play with keys, and shed your aesthetic sense :P you're in for a good time, with or without opponents

Damocles, F/A-18 Interceptor, Snow Bros... the list is long!
Old 16 July 2008, 07:27   #15
Chuckles
The Ancient One

As far as the Infocom games go, personally I'd recommend Zork 1 - 3, and the Enchanter series (Enchanter, Sorcerer and Spellbreaker). The puzzles in the Enchanter series are probably more imaginative, and the spell system makes for some pretty interesting possibilities. Others I liked were Planetfall and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Old 16 July 2008, 10:42   #16
Harrison
classicamiga.com

Also check out the AGA remakes of the two Eye of the Beholder games. They have both been remade using the original Amiga versions, and replacing the graphics with those from the 256 colour PC versions of the games. Definitely worth playing.
Old 18 July 2008, 00:03   #17
dword

Hey all Im just trying to make a list of what I should play So really enjoy browsing this part specifically of the forums

Harrison you hit on something I have noticed in many adf images , lots of abbreviations , what is the differerance between a standard and an aga game? I see aga games listed alot and this is something I would like to know - away to try and google this but I fear it will not be the info I require. (I guess aga versions are the best versions to play then?)

I dont mean to digress in fact definatly keep feeling free to post games ) I love to have games keep me busy hehe , however rather than start another thread whats the best way to restart/reset my amiga as an alternative to pressing the switch on the goliath power pack? (dow me newbie I know )
Old 18 July 2008, 00:06   #18
Graham Humphrey

AGA = Advanced Graphics Architecture: the chipset used in the A1200, A4000 and CD32. So basically any game that says it specifically requires AGA will only run on those machines. It can display more colours etc. than "standard" Amigas.

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 18 July 2008 at 00:14.
Old 18 July 2008, 00:11   #19
Paul_s

Turrican II
Cannon Fodder 1 & 2 (some magazines have special edition levels too)
F-19
Beneath a Steel Sky (brill RPG)
Superfrog
Premiere
Arabian Nights
Soccer Kid
Supercars
Lotus II
Crazy Cars III (aka Lamborghini American Challenge)
Pinball Dreams
Super Stardust
Dreamweb (RPG)
Alien Breed 92 SE
Flashback
Bip
Fire & Ice
Moonstone
Road Rash
F1
Tearaway Thomas
Walker
Wiz n Liz
Yo Joe!

That should keep you busy for a while Most of those are platformers as that's my forte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
AGA = Advanced Graphics Architecture: the chipset used in the A1200 and A4000. So basically any game that says it specifically requires AGA will only run on those machines. It can display more colours etc. than "standard" Amigas.
The CD32 is feeling unloved

Last edited by Paul_s; 18 July 2008 at 09:36.
Old 18 July 2008, 00:14   #20
Graham Humphrey

Sorry for that horrendous oversight... post modified