English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 01 January 2011, 15:41   #1
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

CF HD not shown with FastATA

Hi:
Well, first happy new year to everybody (except CUSA staff).

I have the mb repaired after I destroyed a ceramic resonator installing the Fast Ata. Well, now I don't know if it's a hardware or software problem, or if perhaps I'm missing something. I've got installed the Fast Ata and only a Cf HD attached with a ribbon cable on the left side of the fast ata, with the red line in the upper part.

When I turn on the Amiga I don't get nothing else that the insert floppy screen. If I do with the install disk and I use HDtoolBox it does not find anything. I have to say the HD light doesn't turn on.

If I change the jumper on the Cf HD card it's HD light switches on, but again I've got nothing on HDToolBox.

Any idea or something am I missing?

Last edited by Retrofan; 01 January 2011 at 20:15.
Old 01 January 2011, 16:09   #2
Cosmos
Banned

FastATA driver installed on the CF in the StartUp-Sequence ?
Old 01 January 2011, 16:35   #3
Amigafanboi

Wether the driver is installed or not is irrelevant as the first port acts the same as the amiga native IDE port until the driver's installed.

Sounds to me like the fastATA doesn't like your brand of compact flash.
Old 01 January 2011, 16:56   #4
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I was going to install the drivers, but as it doesn't even see the HD...

I've just tried a normal HD, Seagate and it's the same.
Doesn't it like Sandisk, Kingston and Transcend brands? I've tried all of them.
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/855/abcd0009t.jpg

Last edited by Retrofan; 01 January 2011 at 18:31.
Old 01 January 2011, 18:21   #5
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Sandisk, Kingston and Transcend all work on my FastATA but only on the 44pin header. The CF cards to not work for me on the 40 pin header

So I've got my CF-IDE off the 44 Way and my CDRW on the 2nd 40 Way header and this as you'd imagine only works after the drivers are installed.

I do however have a problem with OS3.9 not booting when my CDRW is hooked up but this could be another issue...

Steve.

Edit - I see you are using the 44 Way, do you have another CF-IDE adapter?
Old 01 January 2011, 18:29   #6
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Sandisk, Kingston and Transcend all work on my FastATA but only on the 44pin header. The CF cards to not work for me on the 40 pin header

So I've got my CF-IDE off the 44 Way and my CDRW on the 2nd 40 Way header and this as you'd imagine only works after the drivers are installed.

I do however have a problem with OS3.9 not booting when my CDRW is hooked up but this could be another issue...

Steve.

Edit - I see you are using the 44 Way, do you have another CF-IDE adapter?
I've just tried another CF-IDE adapter and it's the same. It can't be the reason because without Cf cards, with the HD Seagate directly connected it isn't shown either.

And how can it be that I get the light on on the CF-Ide adapter when I change the jumpers to first-second from the left and not when it's on second-third (that is the supossed right one)?

Does the Fast Ata need software to activate it to even see the drive ?

Last edited by Retrofan; 01 January 2011 at 19:07.
Old 01 January 2011, 20:59   #7
Amigafanboi

It only needs software installed to see the devices installed on the 2nd IDE port.

I'd strip it out and remount it again with new cable ties and try again.
They are fussy devices the FastATAs but once going are awsome.
Old 01 January 2011, 21:40   #8
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks. Yes I agree. In fact I already did it (even cleaned the rom pins), but will do it again. I've sent a message to Elbox about if perhaps they could sell a set of the MATCH210 programmable chips so I can change them, but I don't count on that, so the only possibility I find is what you say, as all seems to be right.
Perhaps I will file a little the pins on the rear part of the Fast Ata board for if there's any bad connection with the mb.

EDIT: WOW, WOW, WOW. You are great Amigafanboi... I cleaned again all the contacts (this time the pins for the HD) with sandpaper and I put an insulating tape behind the board and now it turns on!!! (BTW I recommend the sandpaper method with old cartridges for C64, SNess, Megadrive... it ALWAYS has worked for me). The only thing is that I've stopped the drivers installation, as in my floppy disk I've got version 6.1. I have no idea, is this the newest? Mine is a gold Fast Ata (MKII). Will the latest software run on it?

Last edited by Retrofan; 02 January 2011 at 01:56.
Old 02 January 2011, 00:12   #9
Amigafanboi

There are newer drivers here http://www.elbox.com/downloads_fastata.html

And they will work just great with your board.

Glad i could help
Old 02 January 2011, 00:53   #10
prowler
Global Moderator

Wow! What a useful thread this has developed into!

Thanks for all the suggestions and Retrofan's dogged perseverance.
Old 02 January 2011, 01:39   #11
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Wow! What a useful thread this has developed into!

Thanks for all the suggestions and Retrofan's dogged perseverance.
Thanks to you (& Amigafanboi). You can't imagine (well, surely you can, you have time here) how happy I am... I will tell the whole story: First I was trying to help Novacoder with his great ScummVm version when I realiced my speed whas a shit (Miserable speed thread)... later I found (my opinnion) the best speed was with Sys4Aga plus OS3.9 (you can add till BB2), plus CyberbugfixAga and FBlit if you've lost it, then I started searching PFS3 to make it faster (PFS3 install thread). After that I received this Fast Ata to make it even faster, but at first try I distroyed the ceramic resonator (A1200 component broken thread), and after that I found this problems to get it running (this thread). I want to run that ScummVm as I've promissed I'll do.... I will keep on it.

Last edited by Retrofan; 02 January 2011 at 02:48.
Old 02 January 2011, 01:55   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
I will tell the whole story: First I was trying to help Novacoder with his great ScummVm version when I realiced my speed whas a shit (Miserable speed thread)... after I found (my opinnion) the best speed was with Sys4Aga plus OS3.9 (you can add till BB2), I started searching PFS3 to speed it more (PFS3 install thread). After that I received this Fast Ata to speed it even more, but at first try I distroyed the ceramic resonator (A1200 component broken thread), and after that I found this problems to get it running (this thread). I want to run that ScummVm as I've promissed I'll do.... I will keep on it.
That's quite a story. Thanks for that! And I hope that you get there in the end. You surely deserve to!
Old 07 January 2011, 23:05   #13
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Only to update it I want to tell that around a month ago I had an speed of 1.100.000 more or less with SysInfo. After much changes I could get to have around 1.700.000.
Now I have the Fast Ata working at Pio 3 in OS3.9. There I can't use more, but in Amikit conversion I have Pio 4 (out of 5). I haven't heard of so much... I don't know.
I have to install a program to see the speed, as don't know why (and before I installed the Fast Ata) SysSpeed hangs. Perhaps I'm downloading an incorrect version, or I should use another, that can't be neither Sysinfo, as it doesn't show all the speed using Blizzards 1260.
Anyway, I've made a test with SysInfo, and this is what I get:
In OS3.9, PIO 3, in DH0: 5.825.422
In Amikit in Real Amiga (Dopus), Pio 4, in DH0: 8.107.546

The thing is that I'm having problems with the subway and now I don't know if I will start to blame everything on the Fast Ata... I will start now another thread about it.

Anyway I would like to know any recomendation for a good speed test program.
Thanks.

Last edited by Retrofan; 07 January 2011 at 23:24.
Old 07 January 2011, 23:08   #14
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
There is a tool called drivespeed packed with the FastATA driver, but it looks to me you are getting the right kind of readings, in fact you are getting better speed than I am so I think you've done pretty well

Best I can get from my FastATA and CF card is 4.9mb/sec

Steve.
Old 08 January 2011, 00:17   #15
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
There is a tool called drivespeed packed with the FastATA driver, but it looks to me you are getting the right kind of readings, in fact you are getting better speed than I am so I think you've done pretty well

Best I can get from my FastATA and CF card is 4.9mb/sec

Steve.
Thanks Steve. I think you have it in your drivers, but mines are older and for a MKII. I don't have that drivespeed and don't find it nowhere.
I've just installed other SysSpeed and it works. The thing is it shows the same speed I had before: MIPS: 105.22, MFLOPS: 42,11.
So, by now I don't trust in any speed test (of both). Anyway I think I can improve much more the speed (I think that in the CD, still have to read about) using the Allegro options.