English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 23 May 2019, 21:50   #1
rcman
Long time Amiga Owner

Smile How do you setup your Amiga?

I've got quite a few Amiga's. For my two A1200 I bought a 32Gig Flash card for each.

I want to partition it in a reasonable way. I know a lot make the system partition small and then other partitions.

What's your experience in partitioning? Do you put all the apps on one and programming on another? Both A1200 have 3.1.4 ROMS.

Just want to pick people's brains on how you have it setup.

Thanks
RC
Old 23 May 2019, 22:12   #2
hth313
On strike for kolla

I try to put apps in one, system stuff in one and my stuff I work on in another. Basically, roughly partitioning stuff.

On a UNIX, I keep my own home directory and then one projects top directory for things I work on. Different, but the idea is the same, roughly gather things that belongs together, to make it easier to move around and easier to decide what is worth having backups of, and how often.

That is at least my theory, in practise I do not follow it slavishly.
Old 24 May 2019, 00:33   #3
Daedalus

I tend to have a number of smaller, bootable partitions at the start of the drive, so that I can keep fully working backups of my system, install different versions of the OS, etc., and so that I can set it up to work on any system in an emergency. After that, I usually have Work:, Games: and Files: partitions, and sometimes a scratch partition. On my main A1200 setup I have partitions for Shapeshifter, creating ISOs, music files and full backups of all partitions, but they've been there since it was my main machine.
Old 24 May 2019, 01:44   #4
stevelord

I have several flash cards I use for different purposes. My main one is a 256Gb Flash card. I have a half gigabyte System partition, a small Games, small Apps partitions, a large Work and a large Media partition, then a smaller partition at the end that's used as a temporary folder for storing downloads and unarchived files.

My 4Gb flash card has a single partition currently, but I'm going to blat it to test out NetBSD.

I'm probably going to get either a 16 or 32Gb CF at some point as a system for playing around with and trying things that might screw stuff up.

I plan to back up the 256Gb partition once a week via win32diskimager on a PC.
Old 24 May 2019, 01:49   #5
DofD

I have a few boot partitions with different OS versions and configurations, then a partition for apps, a partition for specific data, then a storage partition for everything else.
Old 28 May 2019, 08:26   #6
brian_p

There's a few issues to have in mind:
The original 2/4GB FFS limit (in case shit hits the fan).
Validating a huge FFS partition is never a fun.
Every partition uses a bit of memory.

I never suggest less than 2 partitions where the first is System <2GB in size using Fast File System. And the other can be whatever but preferrably not using FFS.

I usually partition my harddrive into System (<2GB FFS), Work (<2GB FFS), Games and Storage.
Old 28 May 2019, 09:44   #7
meynaf
son of 68k

I use main partition with the system and everything that is current work like source code. Due to validation taking time, i keep it to reasonable size (1GB).
Other things, and especially what's taking a lot of space (huge game or music collections, etc) go in separate ones which are not mounted permanently so that they don't eat memory for nothing. To avoid potential problems they max out at 2GB.
Old 28 May 2019, 11:27   #8
Leffmann

I use multiple system partitions with 2.0, 3.0, 3.1 etc., and a single Work: where I store all programs and files. I avoid installing programs directly to the system partitions.

The main 3.1 system uses PFS3, and the others use FFS and are kept mostly unmodified for testing compatibility.

Slightly unconventionally I also set the device name of each partition to what it is or where it is connected, such as CF0: or IDE0:, and I assign DH0: to SYS: in the startup-sequence on each system to handle bad programs and installers that always assume DH0: is present and points to the partition you booted from.
Old 28 May 2019, 14:22   #9
Jope
-

I use one single dh0: that has everything, and I keep a nice directory structure there to keep my files + tools in order.

On some systems (superkick a3000 for example) there is a minuscule boot partition that immediately hands over everything to my dh0:

PFS3 used almost exclusively.
Old 28 May 2019, 15:06   #10
rcman
Long time Amiga Owner

Thank you all for your input. I bought a 32Gig CF card and I partitioned it in to 4 approximated partitions. First being the OS then APPS, Development, Games and Backup.

I am in the process of adding a CDROM to my A1200 but right now it's not showing up but that's not too important right now.

I have all the ASM Source from my original A2000 on my A1200 now so there's lots to do. Plus I'm trying to learn Blitz and other things so getting the startup-sequence and mountlist all working perfectly will take some time.

Thanks
RC
Old 05 June 2019, 04:16   #11
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I tend to have a number of smaller, bootable partitions at the start of the drive, so that I can keep fully working backups of my system, install different versions of the OS, etc., and so that I can set it up to work on any system in an emergency. After that, I usually have Work:, Games: and Files: partitions, and sometimes a scratch partition. On my main A1200 setup I have partitions for Shapeshifter, creating ISOs, music files and full backups of all partitions, but they've been there since it was my main machine.
I wanted to do this... but was curious to know how to select which OS I wanted?

I was going to make different drives for each installation but wanted small start up selector which then mounted OS of choice as main drive so you use as normal but see other drives. I can do this on PC but not sure how to do it on Amiga?
Old 05 June 2019, 09:56   #12
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
I was going to make different drives for each installation but wanted small start up selector which then mounted OS of choice as main drive so you use as normal but see other drives. I can do this on PC but not sure how to do it on Amiga?
Press both mouse buttons at startup and the early startup control will appear. Then choose the boot partition.
Old 05 June 2019, 10:30   #13
AMIGASYSTEM

With "BootMenu" you can also create different startup sequences and directly launch applications or different operating systems from the same or different partition.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 05 June 2019, 11:40   #14
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
With "BootMenu" you can also create different startup sequences and directly launch applications or different operating systems from the same or different partition.

[ Show youtube player ]
That's what I needed! I feel silly for not knowing about this! Thank you.

@meynaf - yes, it's what I've been resorting to. I was trying to avoid that method lol
Old 05 June 2019, 17:47   #15
AMIGASYSTEM

BootMan works both as a Keyboard and with the Mouse I used it also with the CD32/SX32

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 04 July 2019 at 10:15.
Old 05 June 2019, 18:26   #16
rcman
Long time Amiga Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
BootMan works both as a Keyboard and with the Mouse I used it also with the CD32/SX32
Wow that's awesome! I mess up my startup all the time and now I won't need to.

Thank you so much!

I'm sure there are a lot of tools for Amiga that many of us don't know about.

I was away from my Amiga's for some time. A little out of date.

RC
Old 05 June 2019, 18:46   #17
AMIGASYSTEM

It is very convenient when you need a Starup-sequence emergency, a Wokbench 4 Colors, an OS RTG, start directly Dopus4 or a second menu Games, in short very useful.
Old 05 June 2019, 19:01   #18
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcman View Post
I'm sure there are a lot of tools for Amiga that many of us don't know about.

I was away from my Amiga's for some time. A little out of date.
There are many other things that I used 30 years ago, there is also another program similar to "BootMan" but that works silently without any GUI is called "BeSel".

BeSel a very simple boot selector controlled with function keys (F1-F10) and mouse buttons, decide to start the startp-sequence through a function key or Mouse button

BootMan v1.1: Download

BeSel 0.17: Download