English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 March 2009, 12:09   #61
Brakus

Quote:
Originally Posted by daznic View Post
P.S - I`ve told her about my thread & that all the other wives & girlfriends are tolerant, understanding and love their husbands having this nice hobby !!

Mrs. B just came in and asked me what I was buying now , I showed her the thread and I think she feels a little better knowing she wasn't the only one to luck out...
Old 06 March 2009, 12:18   #62
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
Have you tried some slow-paced games, i.e. some strategy or similar games?
For instance, a two-player Settlers game could be a good opportunity (+ the 'cute' graphics/animation should be in favor of the game).
You gotta be kidding mate! It'll take about 3 months to explain how to play the game, then another three months teaching her what she should do next

She just ain't cut out for retro gaming in any sense ;D
Old 06 March 2009, 12:38   #63
AmigaFriend

Well I must say that I have pretty much tolerant missus. She is a occasional gamer herself. Before our PS2 went bust last year, she beat me fair and square on Tekken 5 in some sessions.

When she came home living with me, the Amigas were already there, so she knew that was a way of living. And when I explained her that the work I made with the Amigas helped me buy a house and cars in the 90's, she understood the importance of such beasts.

When our own daughter started to play with the A500 and CD32 by her own initiative, she figured out that the retro gene was passed to the next generation, so not much could be done about that.

She already had a great laugh with the Cat Wing thread in OT, so she knows what this Amiga thang is all about: a bunch of healthy maniacs!
Old 06 March 2009, 13:24   #64
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I would have thought most wives would be quite good at Joystick Waggling?
Old 06 March 2009, 13:59   #65
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I would have thought most wives would be quite good at Joystick Waggling?
Well it takes some practice!
Old 06 March 2009, 13:59   #66
humble worm

even best wife doesnt waggle the joystick as often as her husband does
Old 06 March 2009, 14:03   #67
DH
Global Moderator

This joystick waggling doesn't help. A man waggles his joystick in a kind of joy way, when a wife does it, she just waggles it profusely and hard until it breaks or bleeds
Old 06 March 2009, 14:09   #68
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I'm sure your wife just needs some training to learn how to waggle a joystick the right way Oh I see that gmiby had the same idea already
Old 06 March 2009, 14:19   #69
DH
Global Moderator

She's had more than enough experience with it she just can't control herself in the excitement
Old 06 March 2009, 15:35   #70
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

A few hours of Hypersports & Daley Thompson's Decathlon every day will soon get her into shape.
Old 06 March 2009, 15:49   #71
daznic

What gets me is the way she cups her hands around the base & presses her thumb rapidly on the top
Old 06 March 2009, 15:50   #72
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
A few hours of Hypersports & Daley Thompson's Decathlon every day will soon get her into shape.
DTD not on Amiga, if you wanna know my opinion DH
Old 06 March 2009, 17:36   #73
DH
Global Moderator

I don't have a joystick any more, the kind you plug into a computer. All I've got is a Logitech RumblePad 2, and I don't think this will help much in the bedroom department, it's got too many buttons etc. Could end up being a little painful, IMHO
Old 06 March 2009, 17:42   #74
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Oh we weren't talking about joysticks in the last posts? You mean... owww

Old 10 March 2009, 00:03   #75
mai

Maybe its suitable to this thread, its a little bit funny.
This is what i have just found in the bootblock of a amiga game:

"ANTI GREETINGS TO MY WIFE PATRICIA WHO NEVER LETS ME ON MY AMIGA BECAUSE SHE'S ALWAYS ON IT."
Old 10 March 2009, 00:05   #76
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Nice one mai
Old 10 March 2009, 00:40   #77
Slayer
Amiga Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mai View Post
"ANTI GREETINGS TO MY WIFE PATRICIA WHO NEVER LETS ME ON MY AMIGA BECAUSE SHE'S ALWAYS ON IT."
I always wonder about things like this, wouldn't it make sense to simply get another Amiga. I remember I got my son his own Amiga when he was 2 because he wanted too much time on mine.

Now he's 20 and doing CPU Science at varsity, Webpage design and Programs in Java
Old 10 March 2009, 11:17   #78
daznic

My wife goes out for the evening and stays over at a friends.
The next morning, she comes home and my 9 year old daughter and 7 year old son are really excited. She says " Ahh, are you that pleased to see me ? "
The kids say "no, we`ve been playing Jumpman on my dads Commodore `Puter all day, and he says we can have it in our bedroom !! "
The Missus looks at me and rolls her eyes
I say, I`ve taught the kids well love, better get used to it !!
( Gotta be better than all the senseless violence on modern games anyway ! )
Old 10 March 2009, 18:29   #79
Spectre

Send a message via MSN to Spectre
Well I've only recently added an A1200 to my retro collection, but the girlfriend is fairly cool with it. Up until very recently I had a Capcom Impress japanese arcade cabinet in our front room which was far less popular as it took up quite a lot of space in our rather small flat! All my games stuff pretty much just takes up a couple of shelving units so I get away with that. She doesn't mind the actual gaming, "boys and their toys" and actually says my hobby is quite endearing.

I do get her to play the odd game occasionally, we played mario kart on the wii to death until I sold the thing to get a 360 In fact she went a few rounds with me on SF4 last night!
Old 11 March 2009, 01:44   #80
Harrison
classicamiga.com

My wife likes gaming. Especially retro shoot 'em ups and more recent racing games. But also has a facination with girlie games like singstar on the PS2 and Wii games for parties. Two things I'm not so interested in.

I had already been heavily into collecting retro gaming stuff for years before I met her, so she always knew what I came with! And I've collected vintage Star Wars stuff for many years too. However she still hasn't seen the bulk of that collection which is currently stored in my parents loft taking up about a third of the whole area.

But she is OK with it all. She even buys me Star Wars items every Christmas and birthday.

She does however sometime drop a little comment, such as "you will be selling all that stuff when we have children won't you! So you can fund them!" Umm... NO!

So I'm now planning a loft conversion. She keeps saying there won't be space for me to keep the third bedroom as my "office" when we do have children, so there is nothing for it. A loft conversion into a larger "office" is the only solution.

And I agree with whoever said about not letting them touch your computers. Her laptop is a nightmare. She has every chat client running in the taskbar from bootup so the system takes weeks to finish loading, then once it has you are bombarded with loads of windows popping up and new messages all over the place from her friends on MSN, Skype, Facebook.. etc. And the system is a mess with icons all over the place filling the whole desktop and files saved in random places all over the HD. And what does she keep moaning about? That the laptop is slow!

Last edited by Harrison; 11 March 2009 at 01:53.