English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 December 2010, 05:28   #181
mihcael
Zone Friend

cost $4000 to release (and port) the source code for poseidon USB for AROS.

Theres your precedent, sorry!
Old 02 December 2010, 16:27   #182
th4t1guy

I don't see anything wrong with an author getting paid for his hard work. I don't know why it seems like some people think all software gets written out of goodwill. The main problem is that the person organizing the whole thing can easily just run off with everyone's money.
Old 02 December 2010, 16:37   #183
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
@Cosmos, mfilos, Batteman, Hivernaal:

Please give this some serious thought before you take it any further.
Tbh I always take it very seriously when it comes to giving away money from my pocket.
I never had any concern into donating to people who's efforts definitely deserve it.
Old 03 December 2010, 12:55   #184
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post
With 600 or 700 euros, I'm sure he will give the source to Gulliver
And I'm sure he needs time (he said so), and money will make no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by th4t1guy View Post
I don't see anything wrong with an author getting paid for his hard work. I don't know why it seems like some people think all software gets written out of goodwill.
I agree there is nothing wrong with an author making money from their work, but I think you've missed the point.

A) It was once commercial software, so therfore the author HAS been paid, and it was an AF exclusive, so he got paid again.

B) Unless I hear from the author that he requires funds for this to be released, I really don't think that he's at all concerned about money in relation to PFS3 in 2010, and it will make no difference in the end.

Sure, if you want to send him a donation to say thankyou, then go ahead, it's a nice gesture and if I had funds at the moment then I'd be inclined to chip in also. But if you think that money is going to magically make stuff happen, then you are dumber than the US congress. And will probably be dissapointed.
Old 03 December 2010, 13:29   #185
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
And I'm sure he needs time (he said so), and money will make no difference.

Sure, if you want to send him a donation to say thankyou, then go ahead, it's a nice gesture (...) But if you think that money is going to magically make stuff happen, (...) And will probably be dissapointed.
My thoughts precisely. I think will not make any difference at all.

It would be nice to have PFS3 tomorrow of course, but what difference it makes when we never ever considered for the better part of a decade for this to happen?

I think we are used by now to grow old and grey concerning Amiga stuff, so just hang on there a little longer.
Old 03 December 2010, 16:38   #186
th4t1guy

Quote:

A) It was once commercial software, so therfore the author HAS been paid, and it was an AF exclusive, so he got paid again.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. What does it matter if he sold it 2 or 2 million times? It's still not freeware/opensource yet.
I think the main point is that money can be an incentive (as is often the case) to get things moving on this before it winds up in the trash or on ebay.
Old 03 December 2010, 16:58   #187
Anakirob
Unregistered User

*sigh* You conviniently missed point B didn't you!?

There is no evidence that this is the case here. Indeed all the available evidence suggests the opposite. If I see a message from Ignacio stating that money will motivate him, then, and only then will I accept that starting a fund would be a successful motivator in this case. PERIOD!

If you want to live in fantasy-land, then be my guest. But I'm so sick of this argument now. I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to spare you the inevitable frustration. I think I need a lie-down.

Last edited by Anakirob; 04 December 2010 at 03:15. Reason: spelling
Old 03 December 2010, 17:51   #188
Cosmos
Banned

Cosmos = 40 €
mfilos = 30 €
Batteman = 30 €
Hivernaal = 15 €
Raf = 30 €

Last edited by TCD; 03 December 2010 at 19:26.
Old 03 December 2010, 17:56   #189
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Do you have any kind of confirmation from Michiel that donating money will get PFS3 released (earlier) ?
Old 03 December 2010, 18:57   #190
Cosmos
Banned

Money is for accelerate the open source process...
Old 03 December 2010, 18:58   #191
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Let me ask again : Has Michiel send you any confirmation that he wants/needs money to release PFS3 on Aminet?
Old 03 December 2010, 19:24   #192
Cosmos
Banned

I don't sent any email with Michiel !

We are waiting since April...
Old 03 December 2010, 19:27   #193
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Okay, then please refrain to post more requests for donations until you've done that. Thanks.
Old 03 December 2010, 19:50   #194
Peter
Still an Amiga user

This whole idea of offering money is not the right approach.
Just my 2 Cents...
Old 03 December 2010, 20:31   #195
Cosmos
Banned

=> so, give us a better idea !

>Okay, then please refrain to post more requests for donations until you've done that. Thanks.

I do what I want...
Old 04 December 2010, 02:57   #196
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post
=> so, give us a better idea !
Fair enough, we're not trying to bring you guys down or anything, just being realistic. Anyway keep reading and I will give you this 'better idea' you asked for in bold, with the rest explaining the reasoning behind it:

Before you get all carried away with fundraising activities which would supposedly hasten the release of PFS3. It would be a really good idea to actually confirm with the author, before you spend too much energy setting yourself up for disappointment.

Ask gulliver nicely to contact him for you and see what the situation is, and see if money would actually help any, before proceeding.

Because, as unbelievable as it may seem to you, it probably won't. At least not the quantities you are describing. I bet 600-700 Euros is nowhere near compensation for the time he would have to take off work. I am a minimum wage labourer, and I earn more than that if I do a 50 hour week (albeit before tax).

If he has any kind skilled profession then you'd be needing at least twice that much to offer adequate compensation. Besides, he simply might not have the freedom to take the time off even if you offered him ten times as much.

I still think setting up a fund to say thankyou is a nice gesture. If that were your proposal then count me in for a tenner. But that's not what you're talking about now, is it?

Last edited by Anakirob; 04 December 2010 at 03:11. Reason: spelling & grammar
Old 04 December 2010, 03:19   #197
gulliver
BoingBagged

@Cosmos & fundraisers
Please let me know how would you like me put your fundraising proposal in text, and I will send it to him.
Old 04 December 2010, 08:13   #198
Cammy

Cosmos, where are you finding such generous donors? If the Aros bounties had this kind of support, we'd be sailing! Would you consider rounding up people to help donate towards the very important bounty to have Zune updated to MUI4 standards? I will try to explain why this is such an important bounty.

Zune is the open-source replacement for MUI, the main graphical user interface toolkit used on Amiga systems. Currently Zune is around the same level of features as MUI3.9 (which is what OS4 uses), but MUI4 (for MorphOS) is far more advanced, loaded full of new features and is more configurable than ever before. There are several excellent programs for MorphOS that use these new features in MUI4, such as Ambient (the main desktop) and OWB (the HTML5-compliant Webkit browser) among many others. These programs are open-source, but there is no way they can run on OS3, OS4 or Aros until Zune is sufficiently updated. Remember, Zune is already usable as a replacement for MUI3.8 on OS3, which is how AFAOS works. With an updated Zune, all of our Amiga OSs will be able to share the most up-to-date GUI, making porting applications between them simpler than ever before.

This is the bounty to begin uniting all the splintered factions of the Amiga community.

http://www.power2people.org/projects/profile/54
Old 04 December 2010, 08:48   #199
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Ask gulliver nicely to contact him for you and see what the situation is, and see if money would actually help any, before proceeding.
Indeed. Thanks for explaining it a bit more in-depth Anakirob
Old 04 December 2010, 09:18   #200
Cosmos
Banned

@Cammy

Yes, I know, Amiga Computers need money to progress... I'm searching for dollars/euros since many years : completly impossible to get 1 $ or 1 €...