English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 03 October 2016, 22:38   #1
AMIGASYSTEM

ModExplorer OS3/OS4/MOS/AROS

Author: Jörg Renkert

ModExplorer Final Edition v3.82: Download

As the Name already implies, ModExplorer was made to explore the world of music modules.
Therefore, the philosophy behind ModExplorer is not to be just another audioplayer, to listen to your musicarchives. There are really enough tools for this purpuse, and they do their job very well!
ModExplorer goes a step beyond and provides you with mods, you've never heard before. To do so, ModExplorer downloads modules from the web randomly and plays them for you. Also these mods won't be saved permanently. ModExplorer will create a playlist instead, which contains internetlinks to those musikfiles. So You can replay them lateron.

ModExplorer is completely based on PHP- and SQL-technology. This means, that all functions get their informations from a german host-server.

The advantages are:
The search-function is done by the server. Older versions took about 30 secs on slower systems. Now you'll get the results at your finger tip!

Due to the SQL-Database, the search function is no more limited to the song-/artistname. You can also search for genre or filter the releasedate or rating.
You can even search inside the instrumentlists. As many artists put interesting informations into this list, this function goes far beyond other search engines.

The SQL-database includes functions to catalog the songs. So you may enter the genre of a song and its release year. Even comments can be given to single mods. So future searching will get much easier.

You even might rate the modules or give them a thump up, to share the best mods with the community.
Furthermore, you can now create as many playlist as you want. Even uploading them is possible. Conversely of course, you can also download playlists which where uploaded from other users.

The GUI of ModExplorer uses MUI, which adapts perfectly to your desktop environment.
It was designed to meet the needs of the users. So, for example you can individually hide different parts of the GUI to get your best exploring-experience.

Further functions of ModExplorer for example is an extensive ARexx-Port, which lets you control ModExplorer throughout other tools.

This version is well tested and should run stable on most Amiga systems.
Most needed parts are included into the executable. Plugins and AISS-imges aren't loaded externally. Just some MUI-Classes (thebar.mcc and texteditor.mcc) might need an updated.

New features in this version:

V3.8 brings you some more mod-feelings with its visual plugin!
View the modules the protracker way, with patterns and equis!

Nothing to do while listening the modules??
Why not try a little trailblazer game?? It's included inside ModExplorer!

ModExplorer can be controlled by Joystick now.
Many functions can be set individually. Up to 4 buttons are supported, each can be used with all directions. So use your (wireless) game controller as remote control for ModExplorer

And of course, again some bugfixing done.

This version includes (AFAIR) all feature requests of ModExplorer's users and myself.
That's why this will be the final version of ModExplorers. Bugfixing will be done offcourse.
But that doesn't mean, that development of ModExplorer will stop now!

As some of ModExplorers functions overload Classic Amigas, a specialized version of ModExplorer for Classics is planned. And that's just one of my ideas
So check back soon!
I wish you much fun while exploring the world of modules!

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 02 September 2023 at 00:56.
Old 04 October 2016, 07:17   #2
tolkien
AmigaMan

LookS good! Will try later. Thanks!
Old 06 October 2016, 12:39   #3
Rotzloeffel

please remember! This is still BETA !! some problems with 3.x still exists....

But the program is very good
Old 06 October 2016, 13:36   #4
tolkien
AmigaMan

Tried last night and is great! I think it will be my "radio station" while toying in MorphOS!
Old 06 October 2016, 17:36   #5
jPV

Cool, I might start listening mods after a long time again Tried quickly on MorphOS (my main machine), but I didn't bother to install those extra packs yet, so I only saw the WinAMP styled interface. It was pretty clumsy/unfinished/nonworking, but I saw the potential I'll try to install that MUI GUI stuff later, it seems to be more usable.

BTW. what kind of licence it is with AISS? Could you link the used icons to the exe or has it to be fully installed to users' HD? I guess it would be much more comfortable if MUI Royale and AISS icons would be linked to the exe.
Old 08 October 2016, 05:41   #6
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi AmigaSystem!

Very cool, congrats

Did you program it with Hollywood? (As it uses MUI Royale...)

Cheers!
Old 08 October 2016, 12:31   #7
AMIGASYSTEM

MUI Royale you can install but really just the library only "MuiRoyale.hwp", see in the screenshot path, for the rest just follow these guidelines mentioned below. You can also use it without MUI/AISS using the WinAMP Skins.

- Copied The AISS images in SYS:Classes/ToolBarImage/Default
- Assign TBImages: SYS:Classes/ToolBarImage/Default
- ASSIGN TBImages: SYS:Classes/ToolbarImages/Contrib/ ADD
or
- File Script AISS (Assign) copy in WBStartup Folder

ModExplorer Version MUI require:

MUI
AISS
guigfx.library
render.library

ModExplorer Version AGA:

Planarama

- I hope my translation is understandable

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 11 November 2017 at 21:50.
Old 08 October 2016, 22:13   #8
AMIGASYSTEM

Tested ModExplorer on OS4.1 emulated on WinUAE and the GUI it's perfect, Also the sounds are good and those in local that the server Aminet. Small problem after listening to Modland modules.pl, Output appears to be a crash, but this can depend on my emulator configuration.

Old 28 October 2016, 14:25   #9
AMIGASYSTEM

New version of Mod Explorer, The application platform is available for AROS, OS3, OS4 e MOS. This new release Stand-alone to work seems to have no need to install additional software like in the previous version

Download ModExplorer v1.0

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 06 September 2018 at 08:51.
Old 29 October 2016, 13:34   #10
honx

in contrast to AmiModRadio this ModExplorer here is at least playing modules and only crashes when i quit the program.
but winamp interface doesn't work well. no working elapsed time display, not possible to pick another source for modules.
what source is predefined? aminet or anything else? can't tell, can't change it either. for "1.0" it seems very unfinished.
but big pro i mentioned already: it's at least playing modules from the internet... a big step ahead after AmiModRadio...

Last edited by honx; 29 October 2016 at 18:11.
Old 29 October 2016, 14:36   #11
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
in contrast to AmiModRadio this ModExplorer here is at least playing modules and only crashes when i quit the program.
I on AFA OS i have no crashes, do not mix the data of the two versions, install the new clean version. To avoid strange noises coming out of the ModExplorer first press button stop music.
Old 29 October 2016, 18:13   #12
honx

i don't mix anything. modexplorer and amimodradio are located in completely different folders.
and i have downloaded the one version of modexplorer from your post. so it should be latest.
as i said it is playing modules but winamp interface from modexplorer doesn't work very good.
about crash: as long as it only happens on quitting the program, it's quite meh.
Old 29 October 2016, 21:13   #13
AMIGASYSTEM

Ciao honx, i said not to mix the data of the two versions ofModExplorer.
To me I do not hang anything on AFA OS, look at my attached video

WinUAE: AFA OS Amiga Mod Player
[ Show youtube player ]

Old 29 October 2016, 21:21   #14
honx

i didn't mix to versions of ModExplorer either. i downloaded the latest one.
from the post you linked in here. that's the only version of ModExplorer.
if this one is mixed, then it wasn't me. i just downloaded and extracted it.
want this window shown in your video at 1:10mins onwards, how to open it?
and i only have amigaos, not afa os.

Last edited by honx; 29 October 2016 at 21:27.
Old 29 October 2016, 22:06   #15
AMIGASYSTEM

window shown in your video at 1:10 it is the old version
Everything depends on how you set the tooltypes which it will be automatically modified when changing from MUI to Skin

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 06 September 2018 at 08:53.
Old 29 October 2016, 22:49   #16
honx

for using mui, i need to install all this other crap, right?
Old 29 October 2016, 23:06   #17
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes, still I have not "other crap" are things that you will find them to other modern applications.
Old 29 October 2016, 23:33   #18
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
New version of Mod Explorer, The application platform is available for AROS, OS3, OS4 e MOS. This new release Stand-alone to work seems to have no need to install additional software like in the previous version

Download ModExplorer v1.0

Thanks a lot, it can be a good player. It needs Plananarama to work with AGA, but it's very buggy with that. It doesn't keep the Playlist window or its hard (Edit: Well, it has been saved after some tryings), it is difficult to close the program after playing a song and it likes to change the tools by itself in the icon.info.

Edit: To use it with AGA download and install the Plananarama pluging from here http://hollywood-mal.de/download.html and edit the icon info of the player and add "REQUIREPLUGINS=Plananarama"

Last edited by Retrofan; 30 October 2016 at 00:28.
Old 29 October 2016, 23:41   #19
AMIGASYSTEM

Ciao Retrofan, I of AFA OS I have no problem in closing, maybe this happens on AMiGA not powerful, now I do some testing on a less powerful Amiga OS. Regarding the playlist I did not understand the problem. You may report these anomalies author but I do not know who ?
Old 29 October 2016, 23:52   #20
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

It's not powerful or not, maybe it has to be difficult to implement the use of the new Plananarama plugin for AGA. Just try it on AGA, it doesn't matter a 030 or PPC on WinUAE, all will run at the same speed (unless you have cycle exact).

I see what you say about the author. It's really rare that there isn't a single readme or reference about the author.

But I guess you'll find who's him

Edit: Well, it has taken 2 seconds: http://www.amigafuture.de/viewtopic.php?t=40958 The author is Joerg Renkert.

A1k thread: http://www.a1k.org/forum/showthread....790#post985790

The main problem I see is that it doesn't close using Plananarama.

Last edited by Retrofan; 30 October 2016 at 00:29.