English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 27 September 2021, 17:52   #1
Quaxo76

Starglider 2 too fast with 68030

Hello,
I'm using a fully configured Amiga 1200 system with FS_UAE, with a 68030 CPU option.
The game Starglider 2 works perfectly if I use a 68020 CPU, but runs umplayably fast with a 68030 CPU. It's of course possible to switch CPUs and reboot the emulated Amiga when I want to play this game, but I wonder if there's an option or a patch or something to make it work without changing CPU.
I have a similar problem with another game, Nitro.
I suppose there's no way to tell Whdload to emulate another CPU for that session only, since it's been designed to run on a real Amiga, right? If so, would patching the game be the only option?

Thanks,
Cristian
Old 27 September 2021, 18:55   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

WHDload doesn't emulate anything. If you are playing the WHDload version and it is too fast you can try disabling the CPU caches for just that game by editing the tool types in the game icon and adding NoCache.

https://whdload.de/docs/en/opt.html#NoCache

You can also try a different monitor mode in the WHDLoad icon tooltypes e.g. PAL (50Hz) rather than NTSC (60Hz)

If it is still too fast you have no option other than to turn down the CPU emulation speed in FS_UAE or disable JIT.

Last edited by alexh; 27 September 2021 at 19:01.
Old 28 September 2021, 09:38   #3
Quaxo76

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
WHDload doesn't emulate anything. If you are playing the WHDload version and it is too fast you can try disabling the CPU caches for just that game by editing the tool types in the game icon and adding NoCache.

https://whdload.de/docs/en/opt.html#NoCache

I tried adding the NoCache and NoMMU options in the game icon's tooltypes. It doesn't get better, and when I check again after running the game, the NoMMU option is still there, but the NoCache has been removed (and yes, I checked before running the game that it had been saved)...

Quote:
If it is still too fast you have no option other than to turn down the CPU emulation speed in FS_UAE or disable JIT.

Yes, I can do that, only I would have liked being able to run all my favourite games without having to quit UAE, change CPU type, and re-run UAE with a slow CPU, especially because load times get MUCH slower...

Cristian
Old 28 September 2021, 10:17   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Sounds odd the nocache option is the one to use. Try a different tool type?

https://whdload.de/docs/en/opt.html#ChipNoCache

Try using a different method of disabling the caches?

If the game does not get faster/slower with NTSC/PAL then the games engine is not frame rate (VSYNC) limited so a faster CPU will always mean a faster game.

Last edited by alexh; 28 September 2021 at 10:23.
Old 28 September 2021, 10:38   #5
jotd
This cat is no more

you can also open a mantis bug report. We've added code in the slave to slow down games before
Old 28 September 2021, 13:24   #6
Quaxo76

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Sounds odd the nocache option is the one to use. Try a different tool type?

https://whdload.de/docs/en/opt.html#ChipNoCache

Try using a different method of disabling the caches?
Adding "ChipNoCache", the game is still fast but at least the tooltype dows not get deleted.
To add it, I click on the game icon, go to Info, then to the Tooltyped tab, then add the new tooltypes under PRELOAD, is that correct?

Quote:
If the game does not get faster/slower with NTSC/PAL then the games engine is not frame rate (VSYNC) limited so a faster CPU will always mean a faster game.

I don't know, that's weird because using a 68020 CPU works perfectly, at the right speed, even though the 020 is faster than the plain 68000 which the game was designed for...
Old 28 September 2021, 13:37   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaxo76 View Post
To add it, I click on the game icon, go to Info, then to the Tooltyped tab, then add the new tooltypes under PRELOAD, is that correct?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaxo76 View Post
I don't know, that's weird because using a 68020 CPU works perfectly, at the right speed, even though the 020 is faster than the plain 68000 which the game was designed for...
The 020 emulation in UAE *can* be made to be cycle accurate. That means it wont run too fast. I don't think that option is available for 030 emulation and so it runs "as fast as possible" which will be dependant on the performance of your computer. It explains the difference.

I see you've already raised a bug on Mantis. Cool. I think you'll have to provide more details on your FS_UAE configuration.