English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 08 June 2020, 07:12   #361
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest.r View Post
Yeah, sometimes a standalone emulator is the obvious choice. I'm still very fond of Libretro though. Very nice for arcade and most consoles.

Back to the shaders, i promised a color altering ReShade shader and it's complete now. It includes color profiles from Dr. Venom, colorspaces, color temperature, saturation and contrast. It's a bit 'nerdy' option to use, still a nice to have.

In addition, glow got better again. I decided to use a 15x15 gaussian kernel instead of 11x11, with a different sigma. Since it uses 2 passes it's quite fast though.

All included in the shader pack below.

Some thoughts on using reshade. I noticed that using a 64 bit version activates Reshade, while the 32 bit doesn't. Very nice feature.

One more thing: The color shader should be applied before the mask shader.

Edit: crt-arcade-hires-smartres-interlace shader added. It's faster than the other "interlace" shader included, may look better in some games.

Looks pretty nice in games like Hired guns.

It can be used normally otherwise.
Sorry for my earlier post, I didn't really want to steal you work. I was under the impression that you did this shader exclusively for the EAB community, and that ask for a donation only in very extreme cases like commercial uses for who can or is willing to help for something on your work.

I did not understand that is not possible for me to ask for a new shader if I did not give a contribution for you first. Then, when you warned me of that, I thought the generous license in which you shaders were distributed was some misleading and deceptive way to advert your work, which could be in fact, purely commercial.

In other words, I felt fooled at that time, but today I know that this is not the case. Now I know clearly that what did seem for others is that I was trying to fool you.

I reckon I was wrong in asking for a new shader, knowing that this could be rejected. If I did not help you before or others too, is because my current situation does not allow that, only this. I do not want anything from you or from anyone (I have honor), what I would like to say is that you gave me the clear impression that you would like that the others had conscience of your efforts, if the donation is not possible, and do not try to fool you.

I can't buy your shader pack, how I would like someday and many other things too; but I can only give to you some credit, if not in the form of money, in the form of this nice apology request, which also serves like an example of good attitude and consideration for you and your work, that is excellent, and that needs publicity.
Old 07 October 2020, 12:53   #362
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

Absolutely stunning work!
I am having fun applying these shaders to WinUAE to get some authentic-feeling CRT experience!
My computer is groaning under the strain now though! Thanks again for all of the hard work put into these.
Old 07 October 2020, 13:46   #363
DamienD
Banned

Hi Wayne,

I'm assuming you've now downloaded this?

Can I remove tonight once home from work?

Edit: ooops, you are talking about "shaders" and not "bezels"...
Old 07 October 2020, 14:07   #364
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Hi Wayne,

I'm assuming you've now downloaded this?

Can I remove tonight once home from work?

Edit: ooops, you are talking about "shaders" and not "bezels"...
Hi Damien!
Thanks for those! I am downloading them now.
You're a legend!

Yeah, I have experimented with shaders and bezels over the last week and still find them fascinating! Apparently we can have little flashing lights now too? That is amazing. I have done something to my WinUAE config that has made it run like a kitten with a limp and can't seem to fix it though. I had a lovely set up running too, with a nice crt effect and a really cool bezel.

I am hoping that Toni will add a 'CRT Distortion' option to WinUAE someday, but after reading through the various threads i dunno if that will happen anytime soon.

I have been playtesting Scourge a TON over the last few weeks, getting a feel for it etc and with the bezels and shader effects I can't get over how it tickles me nostalgia glands.
Old 07 October 2020, 18:54   #365
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

I had to do a system restore to fix my WinUAE. I dunno what I did...but today I learned to back stuff up
Old 13 November 2020, 12:26   #366
cybermat
GoalScoringSuperstarHero

Hello,
i downloaded Smart-Res-Pack-4.2-plus-r5.1 and put under plugins folder of winuae.

I've seen a lot of pictures and discussion, but in a few words could you please tell me a possible "combination" of shader and mask that can give a good "CRT" result?

Where can i download mask ? The ones included in "filtershaders.zip" from Winuae official site ?

thanks
Old 13 November 2020, 18:47   #367
guest.r

Yes, the dl location for masks is correct, you can test if you got them in the right place from the filter menu.

Also you can check this thread for some tips, especially about "multipliers", since they contribute to how demanding things get for the gpu, but greater y-multiplier contributes to nicer scanlines.

If you want calculated masks and some other effects, you can check the Reshade shaders included, but no hurries, built in masks are perfectly viable for a good look. I would start with a mask and then pick the shader you like. It should be simple enough.

Once you got the feel, you can customize the shader #defines (open shaders with a text editor). If you like ofc. The default settings are quite nice.
Old 13 November 2020, 19:47   #368
cybermat
GoalScoringSuperstarHero

Ok thanks for the help, i will dig in this thread.

I have a GTX970 with latest drivers and i cannot use Reshade shader, i select them but they are not applied, i come back in the menu and i see "none".

A lot of other shaders seems to be not working properly, such as "Trinitron" , i get weird images

Surely is an issue on my pc, i have an old i7 (2nd gen) and a GTX970.
Old 13 November 2020, 19:59   #369
guest.r

Old PC should work fine, at least AMD gfx. back to the 5th or 6th HD generation. Indeed i miss more feedback from nVidia users. If the shader changes the effect, then it compiles at least.

You can try to change the WinUAE gfx. api, maybe it works with D3D9, or D3D11...

And the WinUAE version should be at least 4.2.
Old 16 November 2020, 09:35   #370
cybermat
GoalScoringSuperstarHero

I would like to try reshade filters, but i cannot apply them properly, could you please me on this ?

On winuae log i got errors that these 2 files were missing and i placed under plugins folder.

ReShadeUI.fxh
ReShade.fxh

After that i see in the log

Direct3D11: Attempting to load 'C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files\WinUAE\plugins\WinUaeMaskGlow.fx'
FX: 'technique' -> 'technique10'
FX: 'magfilter' line removed
FX: 'minfiler' -> 'Filter=MIN_MAG_MIP_LINEAR'
Direct3D11: D3DX11CompileEffectFromMemory('C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files\WinUAE\plugins\WinUaeMaskGlow.fx') failed: 80004005
Effect compiler errors:
warning X4717: Effects deprecated for D3DCompiler_47
ReShadeUI.fxh(7,1): error X3000: syntax error: unexpected token '<'
ReShadeUI.fxh(295,346): error X1005: string continues past end of line
ReShadeUI.fxh(793,16): error X1005: string continues past end of line
ReShadeUI.fxh(793,50): error X1005: string continues past end of line
ReShadeUI.fxh(1756,156): error X1005: string continues past end of line
ReShade.fxh(295,346): error X1005: string continues past end of line
ReShade.fxh(793,16): error X1005: string continues past end of line
ReShade.fxh(793,50): error X1005: string continues past end of line
ReShade.fxh(1332,156): error X1005: string continues past end of line
Old 16 November 2020, 13:10   #371
guest.r

I'm glad you mentioned it. Reshade shaders aren't compatible with WinUAE directly even if their are all in the HLSL language.

To use Reshade, you must download a newer version and install it to WinUAE folder by selecting winuae.exe or winuae64.exe (64bit is cool, so you presumingly can run 32bit version without activating reshade).

Reshade is at best set to Direct3d 10/11/12, you could use Direct3d 9 if running WinUAE with D3D9.

Now you should be able to use the Reshade shaders.

Don't forget to copy the shaders you want to use with Reshade into the right reshade folder though.
Old 16 November 2020, 14:47   #372
cybermat
GoalScoringSuperstarHero

Thanks for clarification, i applied properly WinUaeMaskGlow.fx.

If i use this shader, in winuae should i select NONE under filter settings, right?

With Reshade shader i always need a mask, right ? Under winuae i selected crt-mask-6. I'm doing well ?
Old 16 November 2020, 16:23   #373
guest.r

Depends from which reshade shader you are using. Some reshade shaders (WinUaeMaskGlow.fx...) can mainly produce configurable mask effects.

If you like standard masks better is also fine.
Old 16 November 2020, 18:57   #374
enigma776
Bringer of Death

I run winuae in a 1280x1024 window, is there a good base shaders that look good, I should be using? I would like some idea for both RTG and for non RTG use.
Old 16 November 2020, 21:34   #375
guest.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma776 View Post
I run winuae in a 1280x1024 window, is there a good base shaders that look good, I should be using? I would like some idea for both RTG and for non RTG use.
It really depends from how capable the gpu is. If you can run most shaders at 1x, 4x multipliers, then i would suggest a 'hires-smartres shader'. They are a notch slower, but can handle hires situations. There are some 'interlaced' shaders for games like Hired Guns etc. It's really easy enough with WinUAE, since you don't need to restart it to change the shader.

Some shaders simply need 3x or 4x (second,y) multiplier - first is for x-resolution scaling, second for y-resolution scaling - to display even scanlines. Some are looking nice with 2x(y) like arcade or lottes.

The first multiplier is fine with 1x and may produce slightly better filtering with 2x. No real difference afterwards. xBR shaders, for example, look nicer at 2x, 2x.

Things start to become really demanding if you use beamracing, even muscle gpu's require tempered settings. Faster shaders are quite useful here.

I'm not sure about RTG... Shaders aren't supported afaik.
Old 17 November 2020, 00:38   #376
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Quick question: are the multipliers a control to execute the shader a number of times?
Old 17 November 2020, 01:00   #377
guest.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
Quick question: are the multipliers a control to execute the shader a number of times?
First number next to the 'shader name' allows to load different shaders prior or after the 0* (or the general shader pass which does scaling).

The other two are some sort of super-resolution control, which increases the internal output resolution by the x and y multiplier.

Super resolution is very useful for scanline quality (y), first or x multiplier enhances filter quality.
The shader is outputting to a larger buffer and is therefore x*y times slower.

1x, 4x means 4 times less theoretical fps.

So if your adapter is 200fps capable with a certain shader, 1x, 4x will degrade the performance to 50fps. But you can use 1x, 3x etc.

Attached image shows the multipliers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Multiplier.png
Views:	145
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	69728  
Old 17 November 2020, 09:21   #378
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

That is very useful thanks, guest.r
Old 17 November 2020, 19:20   #379
guest.r

Some interesting stuff to check here. Regarding the scanlines and the y-multiplier. Assuming 1080p or similar display resolution and 2x vertical multiplier means the internal resolution is high enough for scanlines to develop.

There are mostly 2 issues here which could require even higher vertical super sampling, namely filter settings tab scaling options and bilinear downsampling.

But if a more appropriate down sampling method is used it can mitigate scaling and ofc. replace the bilinear HW downsampling.

Luckily, in the D3D9 mode the _winuae.fx 'system' shader can be adapted a bit to do the downsampling.

I tweaked it for alternate downsampling, and it's a very friendly effect.
Best used with the 2x y/vertical multiplier for more even scanlines.

If you want the default _winuae back, you can delete the 'adapted' one and a new will be generated.
Attached Files
File Type: zip _winuae_y_downsample_2x.zip (1.1 KB, 118 views)
Old 21 December 2020, 15:51   #380
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

So I wonder if you all could help with what is most likely a noob question. when using a D3D: CRT-Trinitron-Hires-Smartres shader in the filter settings, I get a display where it looks like every second line of the display has been removed. I am using DX9 and your example guest.r of 2x and 4x on the multipliers. But the multipliers don't seem to have an effect on my problem.

Here is the display with no shader: Click image for larger version

Name:	002.png
Views:	134
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	70024

And here it is with the shader: Click image for larger version

Name:	003.png
Views:	195
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	70025

I am sure I am missing something simple here, but for the life of me, can't see what it is.