English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 28 February 2014, 20:45   #1
EightTrackMind

Audio Popping and Stuttering

Hi, whenever I use FS-UAE, no matter what disk image or model of Amiga, I always get constant audio popping and stuttering. This is something I don't experience in any other program, and I've run through my global audio settings, tried with headphones, ect ect ect and still I have this issue.

Any help to solve this would be appreciated.

Thanks

-
Bill
The Dot Eaters: Video Game History 101
http://www.thedoteaters.com

Old 28 February 2014, 21:12   #2
jbl007

You should tell us a little more about your system configuration... Operating System? CPU speed? ...?
Attaching FS-UAE/Cache/Logs/fs-uae.log.txt might be a good idea too.

I never had any sound problems with fs-uae, if cpu is too slow, the emulation slows down, but sound wasn't choppy at all.
Old 28 February 2014, 21:27   #3
EightTrackMind

Sure, it's a Late 2009 iMac, 3.06 Core 2 Duo, 12GB running Mavericks.

I'll attach the log file.

Thanks for responding.
Attached Files
File Type: txt fs-uae.log.txt (51.1 KB, 100 views)

Old 28 February 2014, 22:13   #4
jbl007

Try increasing audio buffer target size. Preferences/Audio in the launcher.
Old 01 March 2014, 00:49   #5
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Hi EightTrackMind, while FS-UAE is running, can you press Ctrl+F10 to enable the performance graphs, and upload a screenshot of the FS-UAE window including the graphs?
Old 01 March 2014, 03:43   #6
EightTrackMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Hi EightTrackMind, while FS-UAE is running, can you press Ctrl+F10 to enable the performance graphs, and upload a screenshot of the FS-UAE window including the graphs?
I will attach the screenshot. I also noticed tonight that there is a tonne of crackling during play too, like you hear on a roughly handled LP record.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jaws-UAE.png
Views:	212
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	39218  

Old 01 March 2014, 03:45   #7
EightTrackMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl007 View Post
Try increasing audio buffer target size. Preferences/Audio in the launcher.
I tinkered earlier with the target size setting, raising it and lowering it to see if there was any difference, but it still sounded the same. I didn't spend too much time with it though, I'll play with it some more tonight, thanks.

Old 01 March 2014, 04:16   #8
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

For whatever reason your system doesn't reach 50 frames per second. You could try to change the video synchronization buffer swap method if it helps to improve/stabilize your system performance. I use Windows 7 and have to select "Swap" for constant 50.00 fps, any another synchronization method gives me an unstable perfomance and audio. Try what's working best for you.

More infos:

http://fs-uae.net/options#video_sync_method

The "smooth scrolling" option also could cause sound stuttering and unstable performance if your diplay isn't running in 50Hz.

http://fs-uae.net/perfectly-smooth-scrolling

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 01 March 2014 at 04:50.
Old 01 March 2014, 18:28   #9
EightTrackMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
For whatever reason your system doesn't reach 50 frames per second. You could try to change the video synchronization buffer swap method if it helps to improve/stabilize your system performance. I use Windows 7 and have to select "Swap" for constant 50.00 fps, any another synchronization method gives me an unstable perfomance and audio. Try what's working best for you.

More infos:

http://fs-uae.net/options#video_sync_method

The "smooth scrolling" option also could cause sound stuttering and unstable performance if your diplay isn't running in 50Hz.

http://fs-uae.net/perfectly-smooth-scrolling
Adjusting the buffer swap setting in FS-UAE Launcher does affect the severity of the popping, but no setting totally gets rid of it. Even the best setting still has a lot of popping in it. Smooth scrolling does make it way, way worse.

Old 01 March 2014, 18:34   #10
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Then i assume you still don't get full 50 frames with different settings, if you monitor with Ctrl+F10 performance graphs? Strange, your system should be fast enough. You also tried it without the "Synchronize buffer swaps with display" option? Maybe Frode knows a solution.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 01 March 2014 at 18:39.
Old 01 March 2014, 19:50   #11
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Audio buffer size is not the problem. The audio stuttering is probably just a bi-effect of FS-UAE not being able to run correctly. So increasing the audio buffer size can help reduce that bi-effect somewhat, but it's not the solution....

According to the original log, you're running without any kind of video sync, and the EMU graph is running at 50 fps (relatively flat) which is normal (except at should be a bit flatter). The blue graph is the audio buffer, so i guess you didn't have audio stuttering when you took that screenshot(?) It would be interesting to see a screenshots of the graphs when you hear severe audio stuttering.

The disturbing graph however is the SYS/red one, which indicates how regularly the video frames are rendered by OpenGL -and this graph is all over the place (it should be more or less flat).

Your computer is more than fast enough, and FS-UAE generally runs very well on OS X. i don't know why have performance issues...

Can you think of any customization you have done? Tweaked some graphics settings / drivers, or installed some 3rd-party programs related to graphics? Do you have the same issues in both fullscreen or windowed mode, or just in either?