English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 August 2006, 04:53   #1
Amiga-emuman

Amiga Explorer on modern laptop?

Hi. I've been trying to evaluate Amiga Explorer on my laptop connecting to my Amiga with a null modem. The main hurdle is that my laptop only has USB ports.... So I have purchased and installed a "USB to Serial" adapter that effectively gives my laptop a COM port. I have tried two models (Belkin and Prolific models) with the same result. No matter how I seem to re-arrange the settings for the COM port and the settings in Amiga Explorer, Amiga Explorer keeps stating "unspecified error" and "There has been a conflict accessing the Amiga Explorer resources"... I am not running any virus software and it is a clean install of XP on the laptop (aside from the USB to Serial adapter drivers and Amiga Explorer). I was wondering anyone can confirm if they've had any luck running Amiga Explorer on a modern laptop with no built-in COM port, and the proper work-around I should use, if one exists? Thanks!
Old 25 August 2006, 06:11   #2
Jope
-

Cloanto's own support will have much more experience on their products than any of us can hope to have, so I guess you're better off contacting them directly.
Old 25 August 2006, 06:34   #3
Amiga-emuman

Thanks for your reply. I've also noticed http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=18944 as well as http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=20291, which are essentially the same topic. I'll try and get some answers from Cloanto as well.

As the rise of PC's without serial-ports is obviously going to be an ever-increasing problem for them I hope that there is a solution. Still, if anybody does use a USB->Serial adapter with AE, please do let me know.
Old 25 August 2006, 13:42   #4
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Be sure that the speeds are the same on both sides. Are you running the Aexplorer server on the Amiga side?.
Old 26 August 2006, 12:13   #5
Amiga-emuman

Thanks for the advice. Colanto were very helpful and quick to help. From their advice I just spent the morning soldering my own cable to Colanto's specs instead of relying on the "null modem" I had purchased. I am now able to connect and it is working very well even with the USB->Serial adapter!
Old 27 August 2006, 00:31   #6
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Hmm, care to post the specs?
Old 27 August 2006, 03:01   #7
Amiga-emuman

The null-modem specs I referred to were just the ones posted on their website at http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/3-105.html. There's also a slightly more detailed version in the Amiga Explorer docs, after you install.

Last edited by Amiga-emuman; 27 August 2006 at 03:07.